Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Looking at all of the metrics and how USF is clearly the best and most desired G5 program/university in these expansion discussions, it still boggles my mind that the Big XII did not take us in the last round of expansion. Football success is cyclical and a poor run from 2019-2022 should not have precluded us from an invite. UCF is objectively a lower rate university and I can only assume that the Big XII was in survival mode at that time and went with a school that had a decent run.

That decision has really hurt us from a recruiting standpoint, but CAG has done an outstanding job thus far. While any P2 discussions are clearly a long shot, we are so well positioned that I do think USF is an outside contender for a BIG invite. 

These conferences will need to move quickly to secure stability once FSU/Clemson settle by 8/15. Should be a fun month.

Edited by Grothe4HeismanII
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 3

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

23 minutes ago, MMW said:

We are getting called up.  This is happening.

b4c013_bc048cfb429b49529c2287490b5df869~mv2.gif

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

14 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Relying on  conference rivals (Big EAST)  and attaching yourselves to other programs (UCF) is what got USF in this mess to begin with. WE need to earn our own way back and not rely on anyone else.

EXACTLY! I said this back 2017 when I heard folks talking about a package deal to the P5...

I knew that given the chance the ucf admin would want nothing to do with us.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  474

45 minutes ago, Grothe4HeismanII said:

Looking at all of the metrics and how USF is clearly the best and most desired G5 program/university in these expansion discussions, it still boggles my mind that the Big XII did not take us in the last round of expansion. Football success is cyclical and a poor run from 2019-2022 should not have precluded us from an invite. UCF is objectively a lower rate university and I can only assume that the Big XII was in survival mode at that time and went with a school that had a decent run.

That decision has really hurt us from a recruiting standpoint, but CAG has done an outstanding job thus far. While any P2 discussions are clearly a long shot, we are so well positioned that I do think USF is an outside contender for a BIG invite. 

These conferences will need to move quickly to secure stability once FSU/Clemson settle by 8/15. Should be a fun month.

I don’t think it was just our poor performance during 2019-2022 that led to UCF getting called up. The Gnats won conference championships and big bowls multiple times over the previous decade. They got the work done and we **** the bed. Alas that is in the past. Let’s see if we can keep the bed clean in 2024.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  474

7 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I think the poor performance was simply the last nail in the coffin. USF didn't seem to have any sign of direction. From Presidents(plural), athletic directors(plural), and horrible coaching hires(plural), to the product on most of the fields and courts, USF was doomed. Just look at the trajectory since Prez Law took over. It's been pretty much nonstop, and amazing.

Spot on. Weatherford and Law have singlehandedly revitalized the Athletic and, more important, the Football programs. If we get a life raft to a better conference, they deserve statues. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I don’t think it was just our poor performance during 2019-2022 that led to UCF getting called up. The Gnats won conference championships and big bowls multiple times over the previous decade. They got the work done and we **** the bed. Alas that is in the past. Let’s see if we can keep the bed clean in 2024.

In the Big East, USF and Rutgers never won the conference... 

But, USF never even came close. 

In the American, USF had two 10+ wins season (back-to-back), but no conference title. 

But, I believe that realignment comes down to just "money". Not JUST conference titles. I mean, look who the Big12 scooped up (and the ACC with SMU -- they didn't win the conference until they already got the invite).

4 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Spot on. Weatherford and Law have singlehandedly revitalized the Athletic and, more important, the Football programs. If we get a life raft to a better conference, they deserve statues. 

Do you think the Weatherford Brothers might work a deal together to get USF and FSU to the B1G?!

Is it a coincidence that both FSU and USF are also spending a lot on stadium (and football) investments?

Man, I wish we had a big donor company like Oregon (Nike) and Memphis (Fed Ex). Any execs at Publix that are USF alumni?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

2 minutes ago, Bear said:

Do you think the Weatherford Brothers might work a deal together to get USF and FSU to the B1G?!

Is it a coincidence that both FSU and USF are also spending a lot on stadium (and football) investments?

Man, I wish we had a big donor company like Oregon (Nike) and Memphis (Fed Ex). Any execs at Publix that are USF alumni?

I spend a lot a Publix, if that helps.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,697
  • Days Won:  52

1 hour ago, Grothe4HeismanII said:

it still boggles my mind that the Big XII did not take us in the last round of expansion. 

It looks like they are doing it again with their latest rhetoric.  Would love to get the upper hand on them.

3 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

I spend a lot a Publix, if that helps.

My grocery bill for the same things seems to have doubled if that helps.  Wait...