Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, dclenden said:

serious question- do we have any timeline for a legal decision regarding the ACC and FSU et al and is this decision considered by most to be the impetus for the next 'shake up'?

While @Mike Stuben is right that no one knows... there are some milestones.

• FSU v ACC - Their Florida case has been ordered to arbitration.  They could come back from that to tell the court they were unable to reach a deal or they could reach a settlement.  A lot will depend on the North Carolina case.  Florida denied the ACC motions to dismiss the Florida case, and North Carolina already denied the FSU motions to stay the NC case (which FSU appealed to the NC Supreme Court, which has not decided whether or not to take up the appeal).
  • Clemson v ACC - Their cases were filed later, so they are behind.  The North Carolina court will soon have decisions on the Clemson motions to dismiss, with the South Carolina court to have a hearing on July 12 on the ACC motions to dismiss.

Dueling court cases are fun!!

• Like 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  53

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

image.thumb.png.76811929eb47e3995f614fc8952370f3.png

:lol:

I should have said ...

1. A watered down ACC

2. Big 12

3. Current abode

This reflects my current interest level in B12 also.  I forgot them too.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

14 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

While @Mike Stuben is right that no one knows... there are some milestones.

• FSU v ACC - Their Florida case has been ordered to arbitration.  They could come back from that to tell the court they were unable to reach a deal or they could reach a settlement.  A lot will depend on the North Carolina case.  Florida denied the ACC motions to dismiss the Florida case, and North Carolina already denied the FSU motions to stay the NC case (which FSU appealed to the NC Supreme Court, which has not decided whether or not to take up the appeal).
  • Clemson v ACC - Their cases were filed later, so they are behind.  The North Carolina court will soon have decisions on the Clemson motions to dismiss, with the South Carolina court to have a hearing on July 12 on the ACC motions to dismiss.

Dueling court cases are fun!!

Can't wait until the Supremes chime in.

Diana Ross You Cant Hurry Love GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Does the Weatherford brothers help our chance of being the prime candidate to replace FSU in the ACC?

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

I don't think the ACC cares about them in particular. But, Michael Kelly as AD makes a huge difference. He was an Associate Commisioner in the ACC, and would be familiar to that league. 

You know, I've become less and less confident of any help/favorability we can get from Kelly's past roles.  Hasn't seemed to provide any benefits since he's been here, and those relationships have to be fading considerably over the years.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, MMW said:

It feels a lot like rejoining the Big East without the basketball only schools which were problematic.

Indeed, that's how I see it as well.  And being honest, does it matter if we wouldn't face FSU & Clemson? Seriously. If we have our little hearts set on playing them, I'm sure the opportunity will arise when the playoff brackets are filled out. Assuming, of course, that we find ourselves in that bracket...

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Wrestling,

An often-overlooked field of endeavor.  Our close friends at NCSU have racked up a string of conference championships and have done well at the NCAA tournament. As of now, only UNC, NCSU, DUKE, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pitt & Stanford field D1 teams (excludes teams at the club level).  It'd be nice if U of SF was participatory, but I don't think that'll happen. Wrestling, cornfields aside, is not a money generating, audience driven sport and is often one of the ones to be cut when the whip comes down. 

3 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

overall decrease in the sports offered.

And an end to the over-the-top athletic facilities being revamped every few years. What was once a recruiting tool, is now going to be secondary to athlete compensation. Push comes to shove you can always lift weights in the garage. :FIREdevil:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,946
  • Days Won:  436

11 minutes ago, Boomer said:

You know, I've become less and less confident of any help/favorability we can get from Kelly's past roles.  Hasn't seemed to provide any benefits since he's been here, and those relationships have to be fading considerably over the years.

Not sure that should have ever been a really serious consideration. USF's fate lies in the hands of what USF can offer to a new conference based on what the conf is looking for, not who the AD has in his Rolodex.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

fate lies in the hands of what USF can offer to a new conference based on what the conf is looking for, not who the AD has in his Rolodex.

That is, indeed, the bottom line. There is a world of difference in operating like 'the real world' and the fantasy world of 'I know a guy who can get us in'. Relationships are one thing, the spreadsheet quite another. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Not sure that should have ever been a really serious consideration. USF's fate lies in the hands of what USF can offer to a new conference based on what the conf is looking for, not who the AD has in his Rolodex.

I think networking and connections have a place. 

For example, when the phone rings to lobby for your school, do they answer it? When the promo piece comes in the mail, "Let's see what Michael Kelly's school is up to?" 

In the end, we get there on our merits, but we may get to show off our merits to the right people due to connections. 

Everyone is talking, but who are they listening too? 

I also think Rob Higgins area helps, as does the connection to the Lightning, showing USF/Tampa is a great place to have events. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

The wildcard would be the Big 12 adding us now to "block" the ACC. This is a long shot, but certainly possible. 

Yea, that would actually be a clever move.  I think they are hoping the ACC implodes and they can cherry pick the programs they want.

If the Big 12 could go back in time, I think they would take us instead of Cincinnati, but, no need to worry about that, we need to focus on building our brand to make sure we never get left behind again. 

Out of curiousity, what makes you say that?