Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  53

13 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

It doesn't even matter what the fans think anymore. The only people the power universities  and conference makers care about are big donors, NIL collectives, and their fans willing to pay players.

True one more piece in the move toward ignoring customers and eroding quality.  Appeal to your few pay pigs.  It goes with the current global corpo model. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  13,748
  • Days Won:  30

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

True one more piece in the move toward ignoring customers and eroding quality.  Appeal to your few pay pigs.  It goes with the current global corpo model. 

College football used to be for students, alumni, and working-class fans, while the NFL was for people who wanted to spend big money to watch football and have a good time. Now greed and money are tearing down what made college football so great. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,149
  • Days Won:  109

16 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I have read Utah has no exit fees included when they joined the b12. I am not sure about AZ, ASU, and Colorado though. 

My perfect version of realignment would be for the ACC  to  add Utah, USF, Tulane, and one more academic school that is decent in sports it would be a great academic conference. ND should just join fulltimem but they get to have their own cake and eat it to so no need for them to join for college football.  Honestly don't think we get an ACC invite anytime soon.

No to Utah. I couldn't stand even having a chance of losing to the fighting Harlans.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,149
  • Days Won:  109

25 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

College football used to be for students, alumni, and working-class fans, while the NFL was for people who wanted to spend big money to watch football and have a good time. Now greed and money are tearing down what made college football so great. 

Yep. 

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

21 hours ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

Yes, but the ACC GOR is under attack the ESPN deal subject to a renewal in 2025. 

Just a note - it's an ESPN-only option to pick up in 2027.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

16 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I have read Utah has no exit fees included when they joined the b12. I am not sure about AZ, ASU, and Colorado though. 

My perfect version of realignment would be for the ACC  to  add Utah, USF, Tulane, and one more academic school that is decent in sports it would be a great academic conference. ND should just join fulltimem but they get to have their own cake and eat it to so no need for them to join for college football.  Honestly don't think we get an ACC invite anytime soon.

There's been a lot of confusion on that online but it seems the more likely situation is that it's just a temporary exception to comply with requirements from the state of Utah. The Big 12 had the most leverage in that situation. They've also already signed onto the GOR for both the last year of the remaining Big 12 TV deal and the 6 year deal that starts in 2025. That was another online myth, that Utah hadn't signed the GOR yet.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Greed and money.

The way "it used to be"

I spend an alarming amount of time on another message board that also bemoans the demise of "the good old days". Those days were when the mob ran Vegas. How could that possibly have been 'the good old days'? These guys were criminals and murderers engaged in all measure of criminal activity from prostitution, narcotics, theft, etc. Well, if you were Joe Schmoe who wanted to go to Vegas and get dinner comped for your losses at the felt, and get prime rib for $9.99, it was great. Comps were a lot more liberal; gaming rules were more favorable to the player compared to today. Now we rail at the corporate takeover of Vegas, diminished comps, tighter slots and worse table & roulette odds. Vegas now caters to all these kids with their bottle service, 6:5 blackjack, triple-zero roulette. It doesn't care about us old geezers. Oh, for the good ole days.

Just like the fixed-benefit pension plan at work. Sayonara, sport. 

It's progress, and you don't have a vote in the matter. But here's the thing. How 'awful' these changes to the world may be perceived, it's all about perspective. If your football program is - phrasing this politely - found to be lacking, then you would bemoan YOUR lack of access to funding and a seat at the table. On the other hand, if you're "in with the in crowd", well things are going pretty well. The industry is moving forward, and even though you may say you don't like where it's headed, you're also not throwing in the towel. Just yet. You choose to be an active participant. It's no longer a bag of used bills handed out surreptitiously, it's all digital and recorded in the ledger. Cause it's evolution and we all know the alternative. 

Edited by WoolyBully
text
  • Upvote 1
  • Crying 1

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,127
  • Days Won:  5

WWW.COMMERCIALAPPEAL.COM

New Memphis AD Ed Scott answered questions about a slew of key issues Friday, including conference...

Memphis and Big 12, ACC conference realignment

Scott said Memphis would be "ready if an invitation comes" to another conference. He spoke broadly about Memphis' place in the conference realignment picture and said he would love to compete against his former colleagues in the ACC.

"There's really two options that everybody knows about: The Big 12 and the ACC," he said. "I think the Big 12 is pretty firm with their membership right now. I'm coming from the ACC, there's some lawsuits pending the last time I heard. So I don't know what's going to happen there. But I can tell you my job is to position us to be ready if something were to happen in one of those two conferences. I think we fit well in both."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  53

56 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Cause it's evolution and we all know the alternative. 

free freedom GIF

• Haha 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

10 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

there's some lawsuits pending the last time I heard

Which is, of course, every split second of the day. 

• Haha 1