Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,134
  • Days Won:  5

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/paul-finebaum-reveals-big-ten-might-avoid-florida-state-seminoles-for-conference-expansion

ATHLONSPORTS.COM

"I know Florida State thinks they're heavily in demand, but there are some questions about what exactly they bring to the Big Ten," Finebaum said. "They don't fit the Big Ten model. The Big Ten, I believe, other than Nebraska, has highly accredited schools, and I don't think Florida State really qualifies for that."

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

This is probably how the ACC ends up in the long run. 

A70D74B7-B3D9-4E47-AFE3-05A43551DD2A.png

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,788
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

This is probably how the ACC ends up in the long run. 

A70D74B7-B3D9-4E47-AFE3-05A43551DD2A.png

Guy forgot SMU

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

Guy forgot SMU

And UCF is not getting invited?

Edited by MMW

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

40 minutes ago, MMW said:

And UCF is not getting invited?

So, it is a weird theory and here is why .....

The premise is the ACC is the academic league, so AAUs in the Big 12 may want to find a smarter home. Then add AAUs USF and Tulane. ... ok that all is fine, 

but then, he suggests they add WSU and OSU, which don't fit that direction for the ACC. 

(I assume the author is keeping UCF in the Big12, but this model has problems) - also, where is Miami in this model?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  230
  • Days Won:  1

I assume he feels Miami gets a P2 invite. SMU on the other hand must be getting the death penalty again. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

13 hours ago, Cat941 said:
WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

With Florida State and Clemson continuing their pushes to leave, an ACC expansion could be in the cards.

I like it and I agree 100%! 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

So, it is a weird theory and here is why .....

The premise is the ACC is the academic league, so AAUs in the Big 12 may want to find a smarter home. Then add AAUs USF and Tulane. ... ok that all is fine, 

but then, he suggests they add WSU and OSU, which don't fit that direction for the ACC. 

(I assume the author is keeping UCF in the Big12, but this model has problems) - also, where is Miami in this model?

The ACC poaching B12 teams appears to me to be a pipe dream.  The B12 has a solid TV deal and GOR and is a very stable conference. Don't undervalue stability.  With the uncertainty in the ACC, the cost of breaking the B12 GOR vs what the ACC $$ will likely be will makes this (and the reverse) very unlikely.  while it is clearly a strong point to be an AAU member I think being realistic academics will not be the driving force behind a reformulated ACC (hint, its money).  I think it will be a "all other things being equal" kind of thing.  The first pickup will be OSU and WSU neither of which are high level academic institutions.  There will be 2 top tier conference and 2 second tier conferences. Both close in power and value 

There are 5 AAU in the B12 and 6 AAU teams in the ACC (once Stanford joins) so there is not a huge difference when it comes to that.  

Also I just don't see a shake up of that magnitude.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,788
  • Days Won:  3

22 minutes ago, aroth said:

I assume he feels Miami gets a P2 invite. SMU on the other hand must be getting the death penalty again. 

Team so nice, they kill it twice?

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

24 minutes ago, CF is NFL Jr said:

The ACC poaching B12 teams appears to me to be a pipe dream.  The B12 has a solid TV deal and GOR and is a very stable conference. Don't undervalue stability.  With the uncertainty in the ACC, the cost of breaking the B12 GOR vs what the ACC $$ will likely be will makes this (and the reverse) very unlikely.  while it is clearly a strong point to be an AAU member I think being realistic academics will not be the driving force behind a reformulated ACC (hint, its money).  I think it will be a "all other things being equal" kind of thing.  The first pickup will be OSU and WSU neither of which are high level academic institutions.  There will be 2 top tier conference and 2 second tier conferences. Both close in power and value 

There are 5 AAU in the B12 and 6 AAU teams in the ACC (once Stanford joins) so there is not a huge difference when it comes to that.  

Also I just don't see a shake up of that magnitude.  

Anything could happen and as you said it will come down to who is ESPN willing to pay more for. To split the B12 contract with FOX or own the whole thing as they do with the ACC.

Presidents are the ones who make the decisions and academics matter to th3. Utah and ASU were hesitant to go into N12 and had ACC being more aggressive they could have ended up taking both of them.

Is funny that you say the B12 has a solid tv deal and mention their GOR. ACC has a GOR and a longer contract with their own network. I really don’t think one is much different from the other. I do know both Utah and ASU get students from California, not having a team in B12 from there will hurt them.

Wont be surprised if the B12 and ACC become basically a minor SEC and BigTen with one being more concerned about academics than the other.

There are actually 6 current ACC schools with AAU, 7 if you count ND. That will go up to 8;9when Cal and Stanford join.

The B12 has five. But four of those are the recent PAC schools. Only Kansas from nonPAC is AAU

Edited by Cubanbull