Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I just want a clearer shot in a PX conference.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

It's do or die baby...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,731
  • Days Won:  53

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

But you would be loaded shacking up with old rose for her last days and be a king  afterwards. 

She selfishly threw her fortune in the ocean.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,731
  • Days Won:  53

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's do or die baby...

I must admit that as dire as it looks, we do have a shot and it makes it interesting.

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

10 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Agree here, which makes me think that USF and Tulane (and to an extent, UConn/UAB, plus select schools from B12 but let's assume they're off the table) are near the top of the "wish" list for the ACC.

Outside looking in due to academics being too much to overcome for ACC presidents: Memphis, ECU, SDSU. OSU/WSU are interesting but I think they'd probably be a tougher sell to Tobacco Road and Co. than someone like Tulane. 

Currently the ACC has 8 AAU Universities,9 if you count Notre Dame. The Big12 has 5, four of them being the Four Corner schools.

If the ACC decides to brand itself as an academic first league in the future similar to BigTen then their move might be to add USF, Tulane and Rice all AAU schools with in the future looking to try to bring in the Four Corner schools from Big12

But in order to have a plan to do that, they must keep their leagues payouts close to Big12.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's do or die baby...

I can tell you this. USF is way ahead of where they were last year. I like our chances 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

42 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Meh. Maybe. It's not like OSU/WSU are CFB juggernauts. Fairly or not, I've always perceived them to be bottom-rung PAC schools. I guess if the ACC is hellbent on creating a western wing, they might be options, but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. If anything, they are more likely Big 12 adds in the future, if the Big 12 even wants them, but that's far from clear (Big 12 had financial and practical reasons to take them, but still didn't).

Who knows. I guess we'll see what happens. 

Don't want to be too mean to them but I'm right there with you. I think they're MWC quality programs. Elevated to a power conference by associating with the correct programs in their geographic region like a hundred years ago.

Big 12 had a chance to take them and passed. Calford could have stayed but didn't. They also could have worked as a block of 4 to go to the ACC together instead of with SMU but they didn't. 

Despite FSU and Clemson being noisy, the size of the ACC and limited spots for anyone to leave to beyond them make it pretty stable imo. A stable conference sticks to their picky criteria, in their case it would be academics. Louisville was an exception due to being a pretty good athletic powerhouse in the right region. Outside of OSU baseball, which is irrelevant for P4 realignment, they don't offer regionality or athletic strength. If they were falling apart then for sure they'd be considered. But from a position of stability, the ACC looks more likely to either 1. Do nothing or 2. Backfill with a USF/UConn/Tulane than go out west for 2 schools and don't do much athletically or academically.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

36 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Don't want to be too mean to them but I'm right there with you. I think they're MWC quality programs. Elevated to a power conference by associating with the correct programs in their geographic region like a hundred years ago.

Big 12 had a chance to take them and passed. Calford could have stayed but didn't. They also could have worked as a block of 4 to go to the ACC together instead of with SMU but they didn't. 

Despite FSU and Clemson being noisy, the size of the ACC and limited spots for anyone to leave to beyond them make it pretty stable imo. A stable conference sticks to their picky criteria, in their case it would be academics. Louisville was an exception due to being a pretty good athletic powerhouse in the right region. Outside of OSU baseball, which is irrelevant for P4 realignment, they don't offer regionality or athletic strength. If they were falling apart then for sure they'd be considered. But from a position of stability, the ACC looks more likely to either 1. Do nothing or 2. Backfill with a USF/UConn/Tulane than go out west for 2 schools and don't do much athletically or academically.

Well said. I think in the short term the ACC takes USF, UConn, and maybe Tulane. Think they will grab Oregon St & WSU in the long term. Also, don’t be surprised if and when ACC brings in some big 12 schools later on down the road to help bridge the gap of the west coast schools. Either ACC & big 12 will end up merging or schools will leave to join ACC for the long term. Interesting times are ahead 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, Brad said:

It's do or die baby...

eyeroll.gif.84fd0ddd553075600f00fe19ee579042.gif

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

I can tell you this. USF is way ahead of where they were last year. I like our chances 

It definitely does feel like the arrow is pointing up. Let's hope that doesn't change anytime soon!

If we don't get invited to a P4 sometime this year, and Golesh has an amazing year and leaves, we could lose our momentum. If we don't get an invite this year, while I would love to win the conference and make the CFP in 2024, there's a small (very small) part of me that would be OK with a significant improvement over last year (e.g. 8-4 with a bowl win), but not so successful a year that top-tier P2 programs are looking to immediately poach our coach (I don't think he leaves for a lower-tier P4 job). That could give us a little more time to get the invite and hopefully be able to keep our coach AND join a P4.

For example, let's say Billy Napier is dismissed at UF. Golesh might be their prime candidate given his SEC experience. And he would take that job, because although his in-laws apparently moved to the east coast of Florida in 2023 (making it a bit more likely he stays in Florida, all things being more or less equal), Gainesville and Tampa are both about the same distance away. Don't say it can't happen... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1