Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,250
  • Days Won:  68

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Have to assume that this is a weak attempt at humor .....

More provocative with a tinge of satire but a serious question, why would we want to be anything other than diverse? Not sure why you would want our institution to be predominantly one nationality, that reeks of a prejudiced viewpoint that I don’t agree with, maybe you feel differently, to each their own. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

5 hours ago, Friscobull said:

More provocative with a tinge of satire but a serious question, why would we want to be anything other than diverse? Not sure why you would want our institution to be predominantly one nationality, that reeks of a prejudiced viewpoint that I don’t agree with, maybe you feel differently, to each their own. 

I suspect that metric was meant to measure an unrepresented population at one time.  It might now be measuring a concentration of one group.  Either way, I agree with your call for diversity.  Not sure if this is a thread or forum to have a productive conversation.

I will say that my sports oriented youngest did notice the stadium on campus and liked it.  Which reinforces my theory that kids don't care how fancy the stadium is.  Heck, he is really looking forward to seeing the "bounce house" on UCF's campus.  They don't want a fancy stadium, they want something they can call their own.  At least that is my opinion.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

5 hours ago, MMW said:

They don't want a fancy stadium; they want something they can call their own.

You know, there may be more than a grain of truth in that. Comparing NFL mandatory twenty-first century amenities to college on-campus stadiums might be one of those apples-to-oranges exercises. Completely different priorities. I think a big part of that may be the "I live here" mentality as opposed to the "I'll swing by" line of thinking. Then again, what percentage of gameday attendees are students compared to non-students at on campus stadiums? 

Edited by WoolyBully
text

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,971
  • Days Won:  436

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

Have to assume that this is a weak attempt at humor .....

11 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Lighten up, Francis.  We haven't had a real good example of the good ol' strawman argument in awhile but yours is textbook. Nobody's talking about wanting to be predominantly one nationality. HSI designation is for just being 25% Hispanic and us being kind of close is a Fun Fact, nothing more, nothing less. Another Fun Fact that hits closer to home for you, Texas A&M has the HSI designation and is an AAU institution.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,250
  • Days Won:  68

51 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Lighten up, Francis.  We haven't had a real good example of the good ol' strawman argument in awhile but yours is textbook. Nobody's talking about wanting to be predominantly one nationality. HSI designation is for just being 25% Hispanic and us being kind of close is a Fun Fact, nothing more, nothing less. Another Fun Fact that hits closer to home for you, Texas A&M has the HSI designation and is an AAU institution.

Trips, Texas is 40 plus percent Hispanic so of course the schools represent the demographics of said state, what a great achievement 😀.The identity politics is tired, and the desire to separate us into boxes is lame.  But it is a realignment thread so will this designation help us get into the SEC/ACC the Big Allstate or big 10? 

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Exactly. I think it speaks more at to the population you are serving. FIU is in a pretty much Hispanic community, so it would make sense that their student population would be similar. The same with other schools. To try to imply that it leads to lower academic standards is well,I’ll stop there. But why is this even on this thread is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

38 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

The identity politics is tired, and the desire to separate us into boxes is lame.

Hold on there, amigo! There is money to be made in such and commercial airtime does not sell itself. I watched too many sunrises from my cubicle at Nielsen Media Research to ignore the value of red meat. Besides, anything we can pass on to the marketing department is just more nachos for the numbers. Gonna get some more salsa, you want some? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

Trips, Texas is 40 plus percent Hispanic so of course the schools represent the demographics of said state, what a great achievement 😀.The identity politics is tired, and the desire to separate us into boxes is lame.  

image.gif.9032c0be778843c74623d9a6a03b112b.gif

But it is a realignment thread so will this designation help us get into the SEC/ACC the Big Allstate or big 10? 

It worked for A&M so we got that going for us.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Exactly. I think it speaks more at to the population you are serving. FIU is in a pretty much Hispanic community, so it would make sense that their student population would be similar. The same with other schools. To try to imply that it leads to lower academic standards is well,I’ll stop there. But why is this even on this thread is beyond me.

Because some people take every opportunity to poke .... and some people react to those pokes, and yes, I resemble that remark. If it keeps up I'll be forced to move this ******** to it's own thread and we'll risk going back under the 4K mark.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

You know, there may be more than a grain of truth in that. Comparing NFL mandatory twenty-first century amenities to college on-campus stadiums might be one of those apples-to-oranges exercises. Completely different priorities. I think a big part of that may be the "I live here" mentality as opposed to the "I'll swing by" line of thinking. Then again, what percentage of gameday attendees are students compared to non-students at on campus stadiums? 

Depends on the allotments given out by schools. Giving tickets to the students probably takes away from ticket sales so they must come up with a number that suits them.