Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

What are you talking about? You say it's not about being the most watched... Rather its about gaining more eyeballs?

Doesn't gaining more eyeballs contribute directly to being more watched?

Anyways... It doesn't matter if you add cinci and open up all of Ohio of the ratings don't increase... Ads are bought and sold via TV ratings currency. The higher the ratings, the more valuable the time slot.

The real question is... Do you get higher ratings for ACC games by adding USF and getting the incremental rating boost in Florida... Or do you get the higher ratings by adding cinci in a new market?

That much will not be clear to folks on a message board.

Why do you think SEC is not wanting to add FSU and Clemson, is because it's adding incremental rating boost instead of a new market. In Tampa I would assume USF is most watched but with a Cincy market a FSU game will gain more casual viewers (more eyeballs) for a tier 2 or 3 game. We are headed to a TV contract system that is not like its now, where it's people watching ads. That is why B1G is expanding the way it is because it's going to keep its tier 2&3 rights on a B1g network, where they are selling the network to cable providers no matter if they watch or not.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436

What are you talking about? You say it's not about being the most watched... Rather its about gaining more eyeballs?

Anyways... It doesn't matter if you add cinci and open up all of Ohio of the ratings don't increase... Ads are bought and sold via TV ratings currency. The higher the ratings, the more valuable the time slot.

The real question is... Do you get higher ratings for ACC games by adding USF and getting the incremental rating boost in Florida... Or do you get the higher ratings by adding cinci in a new market?

Why do you think SEC is not wanting to add FSU and Clemson, is because it's adding incremental rating boost instead of a new market. In Tampa I would assume USF is most watched but with a Cincy market a FSU game will gain more casual viewers (more eyeballs). We are headed to a TV contract system that is not like its not where it's people watching ads. That is why B1G is expanding the way it is because it's going to keep its tier 2&3 rights on a B1g network, where they are selling the network to cable providers no matter if they watch or not.

If Miami were still in the Big East, would you suggest Cincinnati over them?

Why do you think SEC is not wanting to add FSU and Clemson, is because it's adding incremental rating boost instead of a new market. In Tampa I would assume USF is most watched but with a Cincy market a FSU game will gain more casual viewers (more eyeballs) for a tier 2 or 3 game. We are headed to a TV contract system that is not like its not where it's people watching ads. That is why B1G is expanding the way it is because it's going to keep its tier 2&3 rights on a B1g network, where they are selling the network to cable providers no matter if they watch or not.

I do not think the ACC has the same contract model as the Big 10.

No I would not suggest Cincy over Miami, and I have stated I like USF over Cincy in Big 12, I just don't think ESPN and ACC likes USF over Cincy with FSU in ACC. Honestly if Miami would get hammered soon Cincy might be the choice, but even with that Miami are still former NCs with a National following (people watching TVs),

look at PSU ratings this year being through the roof

Edited by jvwvu

ACC does not have the same model as B1G, since ESPN has all 3 tiers of ACC. This means that ESPN is looking for the casual viewers ESPN2, ESPNU and the conference followers, ESPNs tier 3 will always be ESPN3 or sold to local stations "BrightHouse"

Edited by jvwvu

No I would not suggest Cincy over Miami, and I have stated I like USF over Cincy in Big 12, I just don't think ESPN and ACC likes USF over Cincy with FSU in ACC. Honestly if Miami would get hammered soon Cincy might be the choice, but even with that Miami are still former NCs with a National following (people watching TVs),

look at PSU ratings this year being through the roof

Of course their history or tradition helps, but so do the size and location of Miami. But, of course, the latter two probably helped them develop the former two factors.

Also if your FSU and Miami what better way to remain 2&3 in state and further move USF down in recruiting including in Tampa by telling ACC/ESPN no to USF, especially if USF did hire someone who cold lockdown this area like a Willie Taggart.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111

Bull its not about being the "most watched" it's about gaining more eyes. I don't have numbers but will use WVU as an example.

I live 90 miles south of Pittsburgh, of 2 our main 4 locals channels (abc, CBS, NBC, fox) is Pittsburgh networks, so we get a lot of Pitt games as well as Pitt getting a lot of WVU games. Why for us we have just over 1 million people in our state which only 17% have a college education (not all WVU, Marshall and small schools). But WVU has an enrollment of 30k students a year, so where does these kids and alumni come from and go? Well Pittsburgh, western Maryland, DC metro and NJ. ( it's cheaper to come to WVU with room and board than to go to Rutgers as a commuter). Are we going to be #1 in Huntington (Marshall), Pittsburgh (Pitt), DC (Maryland), or nJ (Rutgers)? NO, are we going to expand footprint yes.

Now look at all the FSU fans in Tampa area already watching ACC games (FSU or just keeping up). I mean look at the sport store at Countryside Westfield the clothes are 40% Bulls, 30% FSU, 30% UF

Now why Cincy gets added prior to USF in ACC

(assumes FSU in ACC) is Cincy fans going to watch ACC games, and those alumni in Cincy from ACC schools get to see their teams more often.

I really hate seeing USF getting screwed but unless ACC blows up, USF has to look at other options. Right now I am 60/40 that ACC blows up over a GOR with UL, UConn, Cincy.

Getting more eyes? Cincinnati is not a flagship state university, nor is FSU. I think you have to be a flagship to get a whole state by yourself in a conventional tv media contract-outside of a conference network like the Big 10 and potentially SEC. In that regard, the Tampa-St. Petersburg media market is bigger than Cincinnati's. I doubt there are more Cincinnati fans than USF fans, although I open to rebuttal. I also suspect USF would develop new rivalries, especially with the other Florida schools and Georgia Tech-helping maintain a little Southern balance to heavy Northern expansion. The ACC does not necessarily need USF, but adding a third Florida school would compensate in football recruiting perception.

I can't vouch for the number of "fans", but both schools have just over 250,000 living alumni, though Cincinnati has played football for 125 years and had 14 straight NCAA tournament appearances in recent history vs under 2 decades of football and 2 basketball tourney appearances for USF.

That being said I would assume the schools have a similar size fan base, possibly with a VERY VERY slight edge for Cincinnati, but that would only be if people living through the great basketball years are still interested "fans" after what happened to Huggins and the students that just graduated in the past few years having won 3 of the last 4 football conference titles became avid fans. Either way I'd essentially call it a wash and likely even sizes of fan bases.

Also if your FSU and Miami what better way to remain 2&3 in state and further move USF down in recruiting including in Tampa by telling ACC/ESPN no to USF, especially if USF did hire someone who cold lockdown this area like a

Willie Taggart.

Now, we are just speculating. But, the argument is a nationally relevant USF would contribute to the contract and thereby mean more money and exposure for the contract as a whole. The ACC probably wants to limit its gap with the SEC as much as possible.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

What is GOR??