Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

14 hours ago, Brad said:

I remember when we had a very involved student body because we were winning games…but we built a baseball and softball field and whatnot.  

We used to have the largest student section in the Big East. 

They showed up to games even though they had to drive and take buses across town.  Wait until they just have to roll out of bed and walk over.  I was at the FSU game on parent's day last year and the walk to the stadium electric.  I don't believe that was because it was FSU but because the students had so much energy and enthusiasm (they didn't even seem to care about the opponent).  That's what we need and what we'll see when the stadium goes up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885

57 minutes ago, MMW said:

We used to have the largest student section in the Big East. 

They showed up to games even though they had to drive and take buses across town.  Wait until they just have to roll out of bed and walk over.  I was at the FSU game on parent's day last year and the walk to the stadium electric.  I don't believe that was because it was FSU but because the students had so much energy and enthusiasm (they didn't even seem to care about the opponent).  That's what we need and what we'll see when the stadium goes up. 

And, just for comparison, for the first game at FSU where we traveled 13,000, the FSU students didn't even fill up their section.  When you're down, you're down.  Just sayin.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256

17 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

And, just for comparison, for the first game at FSU where we traveled 13,000, the FSU students didn't even fill up their section.  When you're down, you're down.  Just sayin.

I agree.  But that is their entitled fans though.  Jk

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Days Won:  5

CANESWARNING.COM

Hypothetically speaking, for now, which conference should the Miami Hurricanes join if the program were to leave the ACC for... greener pastures?

"To put it concisely, the Canes should avoid the Big Ten at all costs.

This is not to say that Miami would never win a national title in any sport if it were to join the SEC, but for now, Miami would be better off staying in the ACC similar to how Oregon State and Washington State have remained in the Pac-2."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

"Under terms of the House settlement, reported by The Athletic, former DI athletes would receive at least $2.75 billion in back-pay damages, paid out over 10 years. The NCAA would be on the hook for roughly 41 percent of that total — or $1.2 billion from reserves — while the power conferences would be responsible for about 24 percent through withheld future revenues, with the Group of 5 accounting for about 10 percent, the FCS schools about 13 percent and non-football DI schools about 12 percent."

The reduction could be over half a million dollars annually for the Group of
5...” That's $500,000 on top of the spending USF would be authorized to do to pay athletes for NIL. ....

"The kicker is that the House case
, which incorporates two other antitrust suits, isn’t the greatest fear of some conference executives. It’s the Johnson v. NCAA case, which argues that student-athletes should be classified as employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and subject to a minimum wage and overtime pay. The outcome of the case could officially eliminate the outdated notion of amateurism at the collegiate level and clear the way for athletes to unionize and collectively bargain working conditions.

“If that happens
,” the commissioner said, “you’re going to see a lot of non-Power 5 athletic departments go away, including at the Division I level.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5546613/2024/06/07/ncaa-college-sports-antitrust-house-settlement

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Just gotta keep the trend up and bounce quickly the next time that things go south.

Ahem, we won't be bouncing anywhere as our stadium is being made from steel and cement. More like, catching ourselves before we fall. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:
"The kicker is that the House case, which incorporates two other antitrust suits, isn’t the greatest fear of some conference executives. It’s the Johnson v. NCAA case, which argues that student-athletes should be classified as employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and subject to a minimum wage and overtime pay. The outcome of the case could officially eliminate the outdated notion of amateurism at the collegiate level and clear the way for athletes to unionize and collectively bargain working conditions.

“If that happens,” the commissioner said, “you’re going to see a lot of non-Power 5 athletic departments go away, including at the Division I level.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5546613/2024/06/07/ncaa-college-sports-antitrust-house-settlement

The march uphill continues.  It won't be easy to succeed.   Will hope that via a growing and strong fanbase we will see supportive and active donors that are willing to help fund athletics.  For that to come to fruition, we must be winning program.  Building the stadium is proof positive of our investment in CFB.   That keeps me going.   With AAU to bolster us as a viable candidate in realignment, we're attractive.  

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,764
  • Days Won:  53

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:
"Under terms of the House settlement, reported by The Athletic, former DI athletes would receive at least $2.75 billion in back-pay damages, paid out over 10 years. The NCAA would be on the hook for roughly 41 percent of that total — or $1.2 billion from reserves — while the power conferences would be responsible for about 24 percent through withheld future revenues, with the Group of 5 accounting for about 10 percent, the FCS schools about 13 percent and non-football DI schools about 12 percent."

The reduction could be over half a million dollars annually for the Group of
5...” That's $500,000 on top of the spending USF would be authorized to do to pay athletes for NIL. ....

"The kicker is that the House case, which incorporates two other antitrust suits, isn’t the greatest fear of some conference executives. It’s the Johnson v. NCAA case, which argues that student-athletes should be classified as employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and subject to a minimum wage and overtime pay. The outcome of the case could officially eliminate the outdated notion of amateurism at the collegiate level and clear the way for athletes to unionize and collectively bargain working conditions.

“If that happens,” the commissioner said, “you’re going to see a lot of non-Power 5 athletic departments go away, including at the Division I level.”

That's interesting collective bargaining but with wildly different department budgets. Is the solution here to split up D1?  NFL players can't collectively bargain for the same amount as XFL/whatever players.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,764
  • Days Won:  53

4 hours ago, Cat941 said:

The march uphill continues.  It won't be easy to succeed.   Will hope that via a growing and strong fanbase we will see supportive and active donors that are willing to help fund athletics.  For that to come to fruition, we must be winning program.  Building the stadium is proof positive of our investment in CFB.   That keeps me going.   With AAU to bolster us as a viable candidate in realignment, we're attractive.  

When our players go on strike can we play in that stadium like The Replacements?  I would like to put on the Bulls gear and realize my dream as a long snapper.  

• Haha 1