Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Just now, BDYZR said:

But wouldn’t that simply be a long term investment? The ACC is never going to get the what the SEC and BigTen pay. Of course that’s assuming the whole thing doesn’t blowup in 10 years.

Of course. But it will be interesting to see if they are getting 30 million like OU and UW for that period which would basically be what they would get in ACC and then struggle to make CFP would that be a gain really? I mean Michigan State is getting that BigTen money but how much success do they really have compared to if they were in a league like ACC.

Time will tell, but as someone posted earlier, greed has really ramped up.

Lets see how this all looks in 10 years. I look at UM from leaving BigEast to ACC and how that moved affected them.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

I actually see UNC and UVA as the best two targets 

The big question mark is whether any addition from ACC schools actually increases money deals for SEC and BigTen. The fact that adding Oregon and Washington did not increase BT deal and that both of those schools took half payouts says a lot. 

If Oregon and Washington took half a share, that does tell you a lot. I think those two schools far exceed the value added by Virginia. Don't get me wrong, Virginia is an awesome school + a flagship but they do seem to be a tweener as far as national interest. 

I really just don't see Miami as a fit for the Big ten either. Maybe I'm just ignorant.

Edited by MMW

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Of course. But it will be interesting to see if they are getting 30 million like OU and UW for that period which would basically be what they would get in ACC and then struggle to make CFP would that be a gai

Lets see how this all looks in 10 years. I look at UM from leaving BigEast to ACC and how that moved affected them.

I think this is a great point and often overlooked.

We often criticize these high school kids for picking big schools where they'll have a tougher time starting and having an impact only to fall flat on their faces. It looks like universities do the same thing.

Some smarter than me should put together a list of poor decisions that schools have made. 

My alma mater kind of always sucked in the Big East and now they suck in the Big ten. So for them it was a good move. More money for the same level of suckage. 

Is Boston College or Syracuse better off? Wait, do they still have programs? 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  479
  • Days Won:  0

UVa would absolutely jump to the SEC for the money alone. They’ll be the next Vanderbilt but the money will be worth it for the non-football sports. Big Ten is a much better fit across the board, though. UNC fits the SEC much better. Miami is on an island like Duke. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,792
  • Days Won:  3

48 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

UVa would absolutely jump to the SEC for the money alone. They’ll be the next Vanderbilt but the money will be worth it for the non-football sports. Big Ten is a much better fit across the board, though. UNC fits the SEC much better. Miami is on an island like Duke. 

If FSU goes SEC, the B1G could easily have two AAU schools from Florida that have great media footprints. Just saying.

Plus even if UM and USF come in at a tiered level, I can guarantee that B1G can match or exceed what the ACC pays out now and all parties will be happy.

Honestly, all payouts should be tiered based off of where you finish, if you make a bowl game, if you WIN said bowl game. I know with NIL, that players may be contractually obligated to play in bowl games again.

Payments should be bottom up as well. Players, coaching staff, athletics department, then conference execs at the top.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

Payments should be bottom up as well. Players, coaching staff, athletics department, then conference execs at the top.

There should also be a reparations fund for long-suffering fans.

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

If FSU goes SEC, the B1G could easily have two AAU schools from Florida that have great media footprints. Just saying.

Plus even if UM and USF come in at a tiered level, I can guarantee that B1G can match or exceed what the ACC pays out now and all parties will be happy.

Honestly, all payouts should be tiered based off of where you finish, if you make a bowl game, if you WIN said bowl game. I know with NIL, that players may be contractually obligated to play in bowl games again.

That’s actually what the ACC will be doing going forward. They are using the extra CFP money to reward those that make playoffs and bowls. I’m sure they will use any exit fees towards that.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Welp.while we are at it…..

4A0164D2-14C6-4D28-AE87-6880E3B0A634.png

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,251
  • Days Won:  37

Apparently Hawaii guy doesn't understand sarcasm that much.

• Upvote 2
  • Crying 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  230
  • Days Won:  1

Based on the near 4,000 pages of this post I’d say most of our fan base is grounded in reality. Fair to say most of us aren’t banking on a B1G or SEC invite (although we occasionally fantasize about it) and realize our best chance at expansion is to the ACC if FSU and Clemson get out.

USF has some good things going for it, and it’s not like we’re sitting on an island in the middle of the Pacific.