Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,787
  • Days Won:  3

23 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Does USF even draw decent tv ratings in Tampa? Are the locals even watching ?

If we start winning the conference games that we should be winning, the eyeballs will come back.

Also, you know that people were tuning into the UF game with CJS and last years Bama game when we they saw USF hanging tight. Everyone loves an upset.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

26 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Does USF even draw decent tv ratings in Tampa? Are the locals even watching ?

It's not so much what they ARE drawing but the potential with a move up in conference .....

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

I think it will be the early 2030’s when USF will finally escape from the cesspool that is the AAC. 

Cesspool that we've only come close to winning a couple of times in its 12 years of existence ..... Outsiders dropping in here probably get a good chuckle at some of the elitist/entitled bs that appears from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's not so much what they ARE drawing but the potential with a move up in conference .....

So, viewership would increase given playing in a conference other than the AAC. Isn't that dangerously close to saying that viewership is dependent on competition / opponents, rather than the USF product, itself? We can't say in one breath "Oh, people should be excited and want to watch USF play regardless of opponent and conference" and at the same time believe, in our little hearts and minds that "If we play better (P5) competition, it's really gonna boost interest in USF, which would bump television viewership (revenue)".  'Cause we all know the latter is true, having lived through the Drake, Elon & Western Illinois era.  Just not sure other conferences would look at USF and say "You know, if those guys were playing in our conference, I'm sure it'd bump their numbers. Just not sure what it does for us, though. You know, big picture an all..."

I'm just thinking post ACC Restructuring Project, just how remarkably different that conference will be from the AAC. If the "new" ACC is relegated to G5land, which I do believe will be the case, our opponents will be different, but we would still be excluded from the inevitable P2. I think the P2 are moving more towards an atmosphere of exclusion than inclusion. The pie, in its final configuration, is not going to be exceptionally large. Nobody wants to share any more revenue than is absolutely necessary.  Imagine being in a conference with NCSU, Pitt, 'Cuse, Memphis, Tulane, Georgia Tech and still vying for that sole G5 playoff spot.  I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, entertainment wise, but it would still be G5land. So, is it so bad to be relegated to G5 land for a few more decades?  Or indefinitely? 

Edited by WoolyBully

25 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

So, viewership would increase given playing in a conference other than the AAC. Isn't that dangerously close to saying that viewership is dependent on competition / opponents, rather than the USF product, itself? We can't say in one breath "Oh, people should be excited and want to watch USF play regardless of opponent and conference" and at the same time believe, in our little hearts and minds that "If we play better (P5) competition, it's really gonna boost interest in USF, which would bump television viewership (revenue)". 

Two different things to me ..... bay area tv viewership and USF fan/donor base. The casual TB college football tv viewer would be more inclined to watch USF games against "higher profile" opponents. The bigger that pot, the more attractive we should be as far as a tv market. When it comes to attending games, supporting financially, etc, that's where I think a USF fan should be focused on USF and not who they're playing ........ my good ol' holier than thou attitude.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

So, viewership would increase given playing in a conference other than the AAC. Isn't that dangerously close to saying that viewership is dependent on competition / opponents, rather than the USF product, itself? We can't say in one breath "Oh, people should be excited and want to watch USF play regardless of opponent and conference"  

I'm a big proponent of the idea that we should root for USF regardless of who they are playing.  I generally reserve that stance for knuckleheads on bulletin boards who think we are too good for our current conference when we've never demonstrated otherwise.

If your attendance goes up based on who you're playing, you have to ask yourself if people are coming to see USF or the other teams.

Edited by MMW
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Triple B said:

attending games, supporting financially, etc, that's where I think a USF fan should be focused on USF and not who they're playing

Yeah, and there's the possibility that better competition and more entertaining games might stimulate fan$ of the sort USF needs.

Edited by WoolyBully
text

5 minutes ago, MMW said:

If your attendance goes up based on who you're playing, you have to ask yourself if people are coming to see USF or the other teams.

I think it's fair to assume that there is a correlation between attendance and the competition, otherwise the stadium would sell out regardless of opponent. Or if not sell out at least comparable attendance regardless of opponent. Bearing in mind, of course, that week after week of abysmal attendance could be tied to any number of variables, as in winning, etc. But I do believe that the Big East era drew more fans consistently due to the quality and name recognition of the opponent. 

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

937E20D3-0C4C-4137-9F66-332B65F37E15.png

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,116
  • Days Won:  5

Posted (edited)
FLYWAREAGLE.COM

Former Saturday Blitz contributor Luke Fletcher tagged Oregon State, Utah, San Diego State, and USF to a post explaining ESPN's...

While it's unclear whether or not Fletcher was implying those teams fit the criteria or not, it is the second time Oregon State and USF have been tied to the ACC. Longtime college football radio host Greg Swaim believes there's a real possibility that ESPN avoids Fletcher and Williams' proposed routes and instead decide to cancel the ACC's Grant of Rights agreement.

https://flywareagle.com/posts/oregon-state-utah-san-diego-state-usf-tied-rumor-acc-expansion-candidates

Edited by Cat941
ETA