• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

In for 200

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

People used to say the same thing about IBM, the Ottoman Empire.  

What goes up, must come down.

Very poor analogy.  IBM operates in a market where competing organizations are able to compete freely .  This situation is more analogous to attempting to compete with your local electric company.  

No it isn't.  IBM ruled the market, now they don't.  At some point in the not to distant future, ESPN will no longer rule sports.  They have become to big to remain nimble.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

Nimble.

That does bring up  a good point. Back when I was a young man, there was this fledgling network called "Fox". The rub was that it was a short lived experiment and would not compete with the established Triad. Well, we see how that worked out. And the competition to get butts-in-da-seats is not so much the cost of showing up, so much as it is competing with the 'home media room' (which didn't exist twenty years ago).  

So yeah, in the grand philosophical sense, it's possible that the national championship will one day be played between the Toledo Rockets and the Fresno State Bulldogs. You can't argue against that...because it is possible. The nut, however, would be to attach it to the calendar.  B)

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Nimble.

That does bring up  a good point. Back when I was a young man, there was this fledgling network called "Fox". The rub was that it was a short lived experiment and would not compete with the established Triad. Well, we see how that worked out. And the competition to get butts-in-da-seats is not so much the cost of showing up, so much as it is competing with the 'home media room' (which didn't exist twenty years ago).  

So yeah, in the grand philosophical sense, it's possible that the national championship will one day be played between the Toledo Rockets and the Fresno State Bulldogs. You can't argue against that...because it is possible. The nut, however, would be to attach it to the calendar.  B)

Historically, things change in a huge way within 20 years.  Fox started in 1986, and in 2004 was the number one network.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Very poor analogy. IBM operates in a market where competing organizations are able to compete freely . This situation is more analogous to attempting to compete with your local electric company.
My IBM stock was crushing it these last few years.

It's a company with close to 300k employees worldwide.

I don't get Data's analogy for several reasons. But then again, he is on the wrong side of this argument anyway.

Cash is king. He big5 have it. The little5 don't.

Edited by Carolina_Bull

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Nimble.

That does bring up a good point. Back when I was a young man, there was this fledgling network called "Fox". The rub was that it was a short lived experiment and would not compete with the established Triad. Well, we see how that worked out. And the competition to get butts-in-da-seats is not so much the cost of showing up, so much as it is competing with the 'home media room' (which didn't exist twenty years ago).

So yeah, in the grand philosophical sense, it's possible that the national championship will one day be played between the Toledo Rockets and the Fresno State Bulldogs. You can't argue against that...because it is possible. The nut, however, would be to attach it to the calendar. B)

Historically, things change in a huge way within 20 years. Fox started in 1986, and in 2004 was the number one network.

fox's ascent to number one started with purchasing the nfl rights.

Your example makes me sad since ESPN, fox, NBC, etc. view AAC sports as a piece of junk that is bought from the bargain bin.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

200 wow.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Again, Fox was competing in a free market.

The people who are controlling the BCS and conference realignment and the bowl system are more akin to a government regulated utility. That's the point you are not understanding.

If a school or conference were more like an organization like IBM operating in a free market, then yes, you could somehow go ahead and raise all the money needed for the best facilities, best coaches, win and go to BCS bowl games.

Under the new system beginning in 2014 you can do all the fund raising and spending on top notch facilities you want. Let's say we go undefeated, but our strength of schedule is not deemed strong enough because of the conference we are in or for whatever reason we are not the top ranked G5 team, we are locked out of the access bowl. It is a system designed to be controlled by a limited few number of people. The new system for football is rigged for the traditional power conferences. When it takes effect. Clearly, if the power broker don't want you in, they will not let you in.

The scenario that allows the little guy to become a bigger guy is the NCAA tournament. There it is decided on the court.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Nothing worth saying here. Just wanted to join the p.200 party. Congrats to us!

New_Years_Party_Favors_H.jpg

Edited by charsibb
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Very poor analogy. IBM operates in a market where competing organizations are able to compete freely . This situation is more analogous to attempting to compete with your local electric company.

No it isn't. IBM ruled the market, now they don't. At some point in the not to distant future, ESPN will no longer rule sports. They have become to big to remain nimble.

Also, you seem to be arguing about a corporation's (ESPN) potential to grow or fall. The argument is not about ESPN, but about a football program or a conference's ability to get to the next level. I don't care what a corporation does. This is about a football conference or program. Neither can grow if it is being blocked from doing so.