Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

I have reason to believe that the invitation algorithm is considerably more complex than a few boxes to be checked, in that it is not "that one thing" that flips the switch.  This is a bottom-line venture, first and foremost. Do you now, or is there a strong probability (not possibility) that in the near future (not interested in your 30-year plan), you can contribute to the revenue streams and not be a drag on the operation? Which is why I suspect that although the Upper Tier programs will not only add, but also hand out boxes for personal effects to some schools. Perhaps Vandy in the SEC, Wake Forest in the ACC, might be asked to turn in parking passes. I would say that the term "fan support" has a broader application than solely gameday attendance. In particular, media presence and eyeballs on said presence. Can't wait for the big Northwestern @ Maryland game this fall. 😉

As the CFP picture gets modified in years to come, we could be looking at a complete exclusion of any G5 schools. If that were to happen, would it kill USF football? I don't think so (G5 Playoff & Private Equity Funding). College football is an entertainment business. It relies on appeal - interest - to generate revenue streams that keep the machine running. I'm guessing that a G5 playoff, albeit also-ran, might be a tool to keep G5 football more relevant going forward. 

If I were a gamblin' man, I'd bet that USF might end up in a post-Nole ACC, but not entirely sure that configuration gets upper tier inclusion. Thinking in terms of G-5 2.0.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

I have reason to believe that the invitation algorithm is considerably more complex than a few boxes to be checked, in that it is not "that one thing" that flips the switch.  This is a bottom-line venture, first and foremost. Do you now, or is there a strong probability (not possibility) that in the near future (not interested in your 30-year plan), you can contribute to the revenue streams and not be a drag on the operation? Which is why I suspect that although the Upper Tier programs will not only add, but also hand out boxes for personal effects to some schools. Perhaps Vandy in the SEC, Wake Forest in the ACC, might be asked to turn in parking passes. I would say that the term "fan support" has a broader application than solely gameday attendance. In particular, media presence and eyeballs on said presence. Can't wait for the big Northwestern @ Maryland game this fall. 😉

As the CFP picture gets modified in years to come, we could be looking at a complete exclusion of any G5 schools. If that were to happen, would it kill USF football? I don't think so (G5 Playoff & Private Equity Funding). College football is an entertainment business. It relies on appeal - interest - to generate revenue streams that keep the machine running. I'm guessing that a G5 playoff, albeit also-ran, might be a tool to keep G5 football more relevant going forward. 

If I were a gamblin' man, I'd bet that USF might end up in a post-Nole ACC, but not entirely sure that configuration gets upper tier inclusion. Thinking in terms of G-5 2.0.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be interested in games where Liberty is the perennial powerhouse...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Cubanbull said:

That P2 expansion should had been done while they still had an automatic CFP spot. Probably to late now.

The current tv contract the P2 has with ace etc is reported to be around 6-8 million. Not much different than what USF gets currently from AAC. The P2 gets 3.6 million per year from CFP, USF and ACC will het 1.8 million. I don’t think the difference  in payouts to CFP access as is currently is enough to get USF to move.

So for the P2 expansion to be successful they must at least get a tv contract in the 10-15 million range. Anything lower than that would mean the league has to get better CFP access or payments.

Agreed on that. 10-15M range definitely is what they would need when you factor the exit fees that AAC and MWC teams have to pay. No one is dropping upwards of 10M to get a small bump in CFP money. Which honestly not sure they'd extend the 3.6M to new members. They might have done that as a courtesy to OSU/WSU as former P5 teams. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

49 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

Sorry, but I'm not going to be interested in games where Liberty is the perennial powerhouse...

What if we're the "perennial powerhouse" ... ?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,780
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

"Meanwhile, PressBox DC's Jim Williams suggested that the ACC's contingency plan will be to add Memphis, Tulane, Wazzu, Oregon State, UConn, and USF to make up for the likely losses of Clemson, FSU, UNC, and whichever other schools leave the conference.

https://flywareagle.com/posts/rumor-pac-12-anticipated-pursue-expansion-very-soon

Add WVU to that conference and Cincinnati and the ACC looks pretty good.

B12 can have SDSU, ECU, Navy, Army, AF.

Also, I am assuming Kansas gets pulled into B1G in this scenario.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Triple B said:

What if we're the "perennial powerhouse" ... ?

Then I'm certain there's someone, somewhere expressing the same sentiment towards U of SF. We love us. Just not sure how global that sentiment really is. 

image.png.24fcfc2c234de7b1593c06fef967022b.png

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,826
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, MMW said:

I agree with this but the velvet rope is determined solely on fan support, not winning, not OCS, AAU.

As a thought exercise imagine a team that can packs every stadium and jacks the ratings of every game win or lose.  They will get all the attention whether deserved or not.  Think Notre Dame on steroids. 

That team can write it's own ticket.  It will sell more t-shirts, bring in more revenue, more eyeballs on screens etc. 

This is why I think teams should be creating a better game day experience for their students & fans - like building an OCS. They should be doing everything possible to increase their fan base.  Create a carnival like atmosphere where people come to enjoy themselves regardless of the outcome.  

Pictured below is that NOT happening.  The people sitting in the stands are dedicated and deserve a lot of credit, but they are there to see a team win and quite often leave disappointed.  I know because I was one of them. We probably all are. 

On campus USF can bring in a band or host a frisbee contest or face painting for little kids.

Would you invite a program that was only able to generate this kind of buzz?

6a00e008c672588834019affb2d001970c.jpg

Competition dictates attendance. Better opponents brings better fan attendance.  We have proven we can do that

4 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Competition dictates attendance. Better opponents brings better fan attendance.  We have proven we can do that

Yeah, but what's the contingency plan in the event that P5 schools abandon scheduling G5 schools? Is that bump in attendance then dictated by the golden ticket being received? Very much a chicken-or-egg sort of situation. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

5 hours ago, ForestBull said:

Yes because we have seen what we could be in a "big boy" conference. 

1 hour ago, Bullrush33 said:

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

Yeah, but what's the contingency plan in the event that P5 schools abandon scheduling G5 schools? Is that bump in attendance then dictated by the golden ticket being received? Very much a chicken-or-egg sort of situation. 

So you all agree that our fanbase is contingent on who we are playing.  That is not going to help us.  

Nobody seems to understand that we need to be excited to see OUR team play against anybody.  That would be the kind of fanbase that we would need.  We don't have that, not even on this board it would seem.

We might get into the ACC but it will be in its death throws like the Big East was.  When it falls apart or gets watered down into the next AAC everyone will be miserable again.

I think we were spoiled by that Big East invite.  

s-l1600.webp

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,755
  • Days Won:  6

11 minutes ago, MMW said:

So you all agree that our fanbase is contingent on who we are playing.  That is not going to help us.  

Nobody seems to understand that we need to be excited to see OUR team play against anybody.  That would be the kind of fanbase that we would need.  We don't have that, not even on this board it would seem.

We might get into the ACC but it will be in its death throws like the Big East was.  When it falls apart or gets watered down into the next AAC everyone will be miserable again.

I think we were spoiled by that Big East invite.  

s-l1600.webp

It’s the curse of playing in a pro sports town that is used to major league sporting events. The P5/4 is considered the major leagues of college football and the G5 is the minor leagues. Minor league sports do not draw well in a pro sports town. It’s why the UFL/XFL/USFL would never draw in Tampa.

When USF is perceived to be playing once again in the major leagues, the fans will return. 

• Upvote 2