Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

13 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

This will be the end of college football and usf would be left out forever.

If it would be the end of college football what would USF be left out of?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

MY PREDICTION

THERE WILL BE A GLOBAL deal

allowing the big 4 from acc to either go to sec or big 10 and either fox or espn will foot the exit fee or redo contracts

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,746
  • Days Won:  53

Night Friday GIF

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

I know most will roll their eyes on this post, but for some it might be helpful. 

Endowment is donated money that can never be spent. The university can only spend the interest earned on the endowment (they use a complicated projection system, so they know in advance how much they have to spend). Most donations made are not endowment. 

When we hear the phrase "endowed scholarship", someone is donating big money, where the interest alone is enough to cover 1 student's tuition for the year. Like lets say I donate $500,000 for an endowed scholarship. USF foundation invests my $500,000 and earns 3% (they shouldn't be making any risky investments), then athletics would get $15,000 a year forever, to cover one student's scholarship. 

I am a huge believer every year in adding at least $100 to the endowment, which is an extra gift, as it does not count towards your Bulls Club level, club access, or seat location. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

3 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I know most will roll their eyes on this post, but for some it might be helpful. 

Endowment is donated money that can never be spent. The university can only spend the interest earned on the endowment (they use a complicated projection system, so they know in advance how much they have to spend). Most donations made are not endowment. 

When we hear the phrase "endowed scholarship", someone is donating big money, where the interest alone is enough to cover 1 student's tuition for the year. Like lets say I donate $500,000 for an endowed scholarship. USF foundation invests my $500,000 and earns 3% (they shouldn't be making any risky investments), then athletics would get $15,000 a year forever, to cover one student's scholarship. 

I am a huge believer every year in adding at least $100 to the endowment, which is an extra gift, as it does not count towards your Bulls Club level, club access, or seat location. 

I had no idea, and would explain why the older schools should have larger ones. What, though, is the advantage, if any, to the donor of a $500,000 endowed scholarship in doing it that way rather than donating $15,000 directly for 33 years and reaping the benefits that come with that?

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

Just now, Triple B said:

I had no idea, and would explain why the older schools should have larger ones. What, though, is the advantage, if any, to the donor of a $500,000 endowed scholarship in doing it that way rather than donating $15,000 directly for 33 years and reaping the benefits that come with that?

That is a great question, and @John Lewis may be better to answer. 

Here are a few unorganized thoughts:

1. Schools can create benefits for endowment giving. USF made a big push to get us preemenient, as it was one of the measuring sticks, then really backed away from it. 

2. I personally love the idea of forever. Even if just small money. When I throw $100 into an endowment fund, it impacts the place I love forever. Long after I am gone, I am still helping. 

3. It lets your money keep its power. It can't be wasted by a bad administrator. (sure, 1 year can be, but the money remains after the bad administrator leaves). 

4. Often it comes with prestige, thing get named after the donor. In academics you hear about "The Triple B Endowed Professor of Economics" or stuff like that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

31 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

That is a great question, and @John Lewis may be better to answer. 

Here are a few unorganized thoughts:

1. Schools can create benefits for endowment giving. USF made a big push to get us preemenient, as it was one of the measuring sticks, then really backed away from it. 

2. I personally love the idea of forever. Even if just small money. When I throw $100 into an endowment fund, it impacts the place I love forever. Long after I am gone, I am still helping. 

3. It lets your money keep its power. It can't be wasted by a bad administrator. (sure, 1 year can be, but the money remains after the bad administrator leaves). 

4. Often it comes with prestige, thing get named after the donor. In academics you hear about "The Triple B Endowed Professor of Economics" or stuff like that. 

Don’t let Trip think he’s “endowed” or a Professor of anything.  His ego will get even fatter!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

On 1/26/2024 at 4:39 PM, Cat941 said:

It would be nice to have a couple of cheerleaders for us out there.  

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It's us bud, we're the cheerleaders. So strap on your bloomers, grab your pom poms and get cheering

bring it on best movie ever GIF

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  1

40 minutes ago, Triple B said:

For someone living - this makes total sense. However, a significant amount of endowment donations are made through estates after individuals pass. Hence: older schools with multiple generations of high achievers (Ivy, Stanford, UMich, UVA, etc. The Texas schools have oil dividends/land that generates income for their endowments) have the largest endowments. Typically invested to achieve 5-6% returns after fees, many endowments have limits of distribution to the school capped at 5% per year (as to not withdraw on principal, only the interest/dividend income). The endowment gift can be given generally, for any impact the school may need, or very specifically as Mike mentioned, to endow a professor, coach, scholarship, entire school, etc. Here is some basic information on endowments. And here is information on USF's. 

Fun fact: the Gutenberg Bible which was endowed to Harvard has extremely specific terms attached to it including fresh flowers into the memorial room weekly. The book belonged to a family who perished on the Titanic and was gifted to Harvard by the surviving grandson. 

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,164
  • Days Won:  109

11 hours ago, Outlaw said:

This will be the end of college football and usf would be left out forever.

But we'll have an OCS so there is that.

• Haha 1