Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

The problem is the FSU game was a majority FSU crowd. The ACC has this market.

They don't have Cincy.

I think that's what's going to hurt us.

Unless FSU runs.

This is kind of true, but the point others have made is also true: the ACC will never corner the Cincy market and will never be a significant player in Ohio.

USF would just increase the ACC's footprint in a state that is still growing. I think our biggest negative is that we have no stadium of our own. I really think any invite to the ACC would also have us agreeing to build an on-campus stadium within a decade, a reasonable timeframe.

Didn't hurt Pitt in the least. Nor Miami when they moved from the Big East to the ACC.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They don't have Cincy.

Unless FSU runs.

This is kind of true, but the point others have made is also true: the ACC will never corner the Cincy market and will never be a significant player in Ohio.

USF would just increase the ACC's footprint in a state that is still growing. I think our biggest negative is that we have no stadium of our own. I really think any invite to the ACC would also have us agreeing to build an on-campus stadium within a decade, a reasonable timeframe.

How would it expand a footprint they're already in?

As of now the ACC has no presence in Ohio. They have presence in Florida, and a pretty solid one in Tampa.

While people can saw they'll never win over Ohio, the same can be said of Florida with the Noles. Why add a team that gives you something you already have? At least Cincy gives you a new market.

I'd love a ACC invite, I just don't think it is happening. Not without FSU moving elsewhere.

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

ACC will not have us unless Miami or FSU move on.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

If the ACC felt that way we wouldn't be in the discussion now... We won't know until next week so lets see how this all shakes out... To be honest we won't know until we find out how much Maryland is on the hook for with their 50 mil buy out..

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

ACC is a "dry conferance". WHO WANTS THAT?

:04-cheers:

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

They don't have Cincy.

Unless FSU runs.

As of now the ACC has no presence in Ohio. They have presence in Florida, and a pretty solid one in Tampa.

While people can saw they'll never win over Ohio, the same can be said of Florida with the Noles. Why add a team that gives you something you already have? At least Cincy gives you a new market.

I'd love a ACC invite, I just don't think it is happening. Not without FSU moving elsewhere.

It does, though a market in decline. USF further locks down Florida for the ACC, giving them three draws in the fourth largest state in the country.

I tend to agree that FSU is most likely to try to block the move. If FSU decides to stay in the ACC then our best bet would be the Big XII if they expand since we would be a new market for them.

UConn appears off to the ACC. I can see why they'd want Louisville, but I could see the Big XII taking a serious interest in Louisville too. The Big XII's top favorite must be FSU, but it's a question of if FSU wants to risk paying out a huge buyout or not.

Then there's the question of the B1G. If UNC and UVA go B1G then things really get messy. If the B1G stays at 14 then things we play otu differently.

My own opinion is that this scenario makes the most sense:

The ACC becomes the first 16 team league by adding UConn, Temple, and Cincinnati.

The Big XII gets back to 12 by adding Louisville and USF.

The PAC-12 equals the B1G and becomes the PAC-14 by adding Boise State and BYU.

The Big East ceases to exist as a football conference and maybe altogether. The ACC already has ND added and may add Georgetown and St. John's. Villanova would be another good non-football add for them to take them to 20 and make them the premiere basketball conference year to year.

The ACC gets three new markets to replace the Baltimore/DC market they lost. They add Philly, Cincy, and suburban NYC in the form of UConn. They also get three historically good basketball programs.

Louisville would be the real prize for the Big XII, but Louisville has pulled us with them before. We also represent a new market for the Big XII. Having teams like Texas, Oklahoma, OKST, etc come to visit for football will help build interest in the conference in the fourth largest state in the country (likely to be the 3rd largest state within the next few years, surpassing New York). That would give the Big XII a presence in Texas and Florida.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

ACC is a "dry conferance". WHO WANTS THAT?

:04-cheers:

That would be great but that's not entirely correct.... The ACC does not allow beer sales at on campus facilities... But RJS wouldn't change.

Edited by Southshore26

• Topic Count:  2,697
  • Content Count:  6,929

They don't have Cincy.

Unless FSU runs.

It does, though a market in decline. USF further locks down Florida for the ACC, giving them three draws in the fourth largest state in the country.

I tend to agree that FSU is most likely to try to block the move. If FSU decides to stay in the ACC then our best bet would be the Big XII if they expand since we would be a new market for them.

UConn appears off to the ACC. I can see why they'd want Louisville, but I could see the Big XII taking a serious interest in Louisville too. The Big XII's top favorite must be FSU, but it's a question of if FSU wants to risk paying out a huge buyout or not.

Then there's the question of the B1G. If UNC and UVA go B1G then things really get messy. If the B1G stays at 14 then things we play otu differently.

My own opinion is that this scenario makes the most sense:

The ACC becomes the first 16 team league by adding UConn, Temple, and Cincinnati.

The Big XII gets back to 12 by adding Louisville and USF.

The PAC-12 equals the B1G and becomes the PAC-14 by adding Boise State and BYU.

The Big East ceases to exist as a football conference and maybe altogether. The ACC already has ND added and may add Georgetown and St. John's. Villanova would be another good non-football add for them to take them to 20 and make them the premiere basketball conference year to year.

The ACC gets three new markets to replace the Baltimore/DC market they lost. They add Philly, Cincy, and suburban NYC in the form of UConn. They also get three historically good basketball programs.

Louisville would be the real prize for the Big XII, but Louisville has pulled us with them before. We also represent a new market for the Big XII. Having teams like Texas, Oklahoma, OKST, etc come to visit for football will help build interest in the conference in the fourth largest state in the country (likely to be the 3rd largest state within the next few years, surpassing New York). That would give the Big XII a presence in Texas and Florida.

from your lips to God's ears

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

UL can't pass up an ACC invite and will get it prior to any except maybe UConn, which it will happen on Monday, and right now ACC will offer first as Big 12 expansion only revolves around B1G and SEC striking first.

Now assuming ACC gets a GOR Monday instead of blowing up, UL might geta last minute invite with USF for Big 12 (10% chance, IMO) ESPN would need to add $100 mil a year to contract if so

If ACC gets Cincy, UL, UConn and a GOR for 16 then ACC has 16, SEC 14, B1G 14, PAC 12 , and Big 12 - 10. What that means the next conference to go will be Big 12 who has a GOR for 12 years, and here is why they won't expand.

Either after 12 years is up or sooner if Longhorn networks fails and conference breaks up. Big 12 can dissolve with 8 out 10 votes, which means 8 teams need to find spots.

Texas & KU to B1G, OU & WVU to SEC, PAC takes 4 OSU, TTech, TCU, and KSt

This would leave out Baylor and Iowa St to be added to what ever happens to the now Big East football teams after the Big East basketball teams leave and merge with A10

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I can't possibly imagine ACC convincing schools to agree to a GOR unless their TV dollars at least double. It would be beyond incredibly stupid for schools to look themselves in at ACC dollars for 10 or 12 years when the possibility exists that they could get a lot more dollars in the B12, B1G or SEC. And most schools in the ACC are at least a possibility for one or more of those. The B12 was able to pull it off because it guaranteed Texas and Oklahoma big money and most of the remaining schools are desperate to stay in a big conference. Neither is the case with the ACC.