Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,768
  • Days Won:  53

1 minute ago, Cubanbull said:

If you think Cal and Stanford will join a conference with Boise and Fresno, well then you really need to look closer at what Stanford and Cal are really like

Are you implying they are stuck up?  

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I am saying that it is important to them to associate with schools closer to their academics. 

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,768
  • Days Won:  53

10 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

I am saying that it is important to them to associate with schools closer to their academics. 

Like a USF?

6 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Like a USF?

I’m not going to say USF is academically were they are, but they are more likely to accept being in a conference with USF as an AAU institution than with Boise or Fresno.

If you have seen their history, you would easily see academics matter where they go and why they went to ACC and not Big12 and certainly B12 has better academically ranked schools than Fresno and Boise.

Edited by Cubanbull
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Right now, we don't offer a whole lot attractive to any P conference.  They can afford to take their time being picky.  We seem to be falling for the Fundamental Attribution Error.  It essentially notes that "If my team gets promoted to P status, it is because they did it due to internal causes (they wanted it more, worked harder, are more talented, recruited better, etc.), but if my team does not get promoted, it is due to external causes (ESPN hates us, ____ University is blocking us, we don't have an OCS, prior President didn't prioritize it, etc.)

Those with an internal locus of control will most times perform better because they focus on what they have power over.  That means working hard enough, recruiting well,  coaching better, and finally, winning.  AAU status, OCS, our market, palm trees - are external variables and none of that is going to get us promoted.  Only one thing will - winning.  Yes, we started to possibly turn a corner.  But if we want to be courted and not just hope against hope that a P teams leaves their conference and we can be the best nerd picked in gym class to replace them, one season isn't going to do it.  It needs to be a trend.  I cringe when posters rest their hopes on someone leaving and we being the least undesirable team to fill that spot.  I believe we will earn it by winning to the extent that it would look ridiculous to be left out.  Backing in doesn't engender a whole lot of pride in me.

Right now, we offer potential.  That puts us in a large group.  I believe that Coach will make us desirable enough in time.  But I don't think a conference is going to offer us millions and millions solely because they would like another team to have a "travel partner" or whatever that means.

Interesting take but "Only one thing will - winning" is not accurate.  Yes, winning teams garner more attention so there is a strong correlation but what ESPN and Fox are looking for is the eyeballs that winning teams draw. 

Also, we don't actually control winning, "working hard enough" is not the problem, there are at a structural disadvantage when recruiting against the P4.  Even if we did start winning we lose our coach soon after, our good players will access the portal.  I think the past decade illustrates that finding a competent coach who can WIN is not something so easily done (or in our control most times).

AAU Status and OCS is something we can actually control.  Some leagues care about academics so it helps us with them.  An OCS will at least look full most times and present a college game atmosphere.  It will also be more fun for the students who simply need to walk across campus to a game - like the vast majority of college students.   

The fix is in guys.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

52 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Stanfords acadmics rival the ivy's and they arguably have the best athletic program in the country:

"Stanford has won 134 NCAA team national championships, the most of any Division 1 school in the NCAA. Stanford has won these NCAA team championships in 20 different sports."

They really deserve better.  I am suprised the B10 did not scoop them up along with Cal.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,971
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Right now, we offer potential.  That puts us in a large group.  I believe that Coach will make us desirable enough in time.  But I don't think a conference is going to offer us millions and millions solely because they would like another team to have a "travel partner" or whatever that means.

Technically, I guess all schools have some sort of potential but I'm not sure many have all the ingredients we do to put us in a large group. I think CAG has already done all he needed to do to make us "desirable". Reinforced what CJL and CWT had already shown, and what may have been misconstrued in the previous 4 1/2 years ...... we can do football right.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,793
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Cubanbull said:

If you think Cal and Stanford will join a conference with Boise and Fresno, well then you really need to look closer at what Stanford and Cal are really like

You are probably right, I don’t know how they are really. Honestly though, if they want football and are unable to lower their standards then either independent or 🤷🏻‍♂️.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,793
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, MMW said:

Stanfords acadmics rival the ivy's and they arguably have the best athletic program in the country:

"Stanford has won 134 NCAA team national championships, the most of any Division 1 school in the NCAA. Stanford has won these NCAA team championships in 20 different sports."

They really deserve better.  I am suprised the B10 did not scoop them up along with Cal.  

It’s still a possibility. Especially if P2 gobble up the best available and go to 32 teams each, then split geographically for 8 team divisions.

46 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

You are probably right, I don’t know how they are really. Honestly though, if they want football and are unable to lower their standards then either independent or 🤷🏻‍♂️.

More likely they would be happy with an ACC that looks somewhat like this.

Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake Forest,Duke, Georgia Tech, SMU, Cal, Stanford with additions of USF, Tulane, Oregon St,Washington St maybe UConn and ND for non football.