Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

5 hours ago, Cat941 said:

More on the Memphis stadium news from that Yahoo article above:

The city of Memphis also announced Tuesday that a resolution had been introduced by councilman Chase Carlisle to allocate $120 million in state funds toward a stadium renovation. The resolution would also include an ownership transfer to the University of Memphis. The stadium, which also hosts the Liberty Bowl, is currently owned by the city of Memphis.

That's more important than all the money being thrown into the renovations .....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,583
  • Days Won:  13

50 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I got roasted here for suggesting previously that USF should have more diligently pursued intergovernmental cooperation, planning and financing of a more comprehensive multi-purpose facility.  But it seems everyone covets control over good sense.  Very shortsighted IMO.

Not roasting you ... but I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) they looked at every possible source of funding.

However, let's not forget the Rays will stay in St. Petersburg because Hillsborough County and the City of Tampa did not want to provide any help for that stadium.  Plus state law limits funds for stadium construction... revenue sources that helped build Tropicana Field or Raymond James Stadium (hotel bed taxes, sales tax rebates, etc) are not available for college stadiums.  So local governments would have had to spend property tax dollars -- something that would have been very unpopular.

The City of Memphis is using state grant money for this purpose... not sure what the source of those funds would be, but Florida doesn't have many grant funds that could be tapped like that.

Edited by Jim Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,086
  • Days Won:  5

59 minutes ago, Triple B said:

That's more important than all the money being thrown into the renovations .....

Yes, it makes the stadium their's.  Close enough to be considered an OCS.   Positive revenue stream.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  4,086
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

I got roasted here for suggesting previously that USF should have more diligently pursued intergovernmental cooperation, planning and financing of a more comprehensive multi-purpose facility.  But it seems everyone covets control over good sense.  Very shortsighted IMO.

Maybe that would have caused too much of a delay and we pushed forward with the current plan.    

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

2 hours ago, SilverBull said:

everyone covets control over good sense.  Very shortsighted IMO.

💯

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/17/2023 at 4:46 PM, BDYZR said:

Do you mean teams like Bama, Florida, Boise State, Miami, BYU, Notre Dame, etc.?

None of those are guaranteed conference games. No opportunities for a rivalry even if we win the series. Plus, the powers that be could create a divide and strangle those matchups later on. The SEC could go to 9 conference games and end further opportunities. I'd rather take the sure thing, even its against lesser brand names. That conference would easily be the best of the have nots and seen as the stepping stone conference.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

44 minutes ago, ThisIsAAUsome said:

None of those are guaranteed conference games. No opportunities for a rivalry even if we win the series. Plus, the powers that be could create a divide and strangle those matchups later on. The SEC could go to 9 conference games and end further opportunities. I'd rather take the sure thing, even its against lesser brand names. That conference would easily be the best of the have nots and seen as the stepping stone conference.

Doesn't matter, they're still marquee games. There is no guarantee that USF cannot set one of those up on some sort of regular basis. I agree, the powers that be could do a lot of different things that would effect future schedules. Is the SEC going to a 9 game schedule? I don't think so. Unfortunately NOTHING is a sure thing. I'm pretty sure we've been in a stepping stone conference since joining Conference USA in 2003.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,742
  • Days Won:  30

2 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Doesn't matter, they're still marquee games. There is no guarantee that USF cannot set one of those up on some sort of regular basis. I agree, the powers that be could do a lot of different things that would effect future schedules. Is the SEC going to a 9 game schedule? I don't think so. Unfortunately NOTHING is a sure thing. I'm pretty sure we've been in a stepping stone conference since joining Conference USA in 2003.

We have have the Tampalona bowl or the Ponderosa bowl at the new OCS.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

13 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Not roasting you ... but I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) they looked at every possible source of funding.

However, let's not forget the Rays will stay in St. Petersburg because Hillsborough County and the City of Tampa did not want to provide any help for that stadium.  Plus state law limits funds for stadium construction... revenue sources that helped build Tropicana Field or Raymond James Stadium (hotel bed taxes, sales tax rebates, etc) are not available for college stadiums.  So local governments would have had to spend property tax dollars -- something that would have been very unpopular.

The City of Memphis is using state grant money for this purpose... not sure what the source of those funds would be, but Florida doesn't have many grant funds that could be tapped like that.

Not exactly true. UCF is getting close to $90m for upgrades from county tourist taxes. maybe it's because they host a bowl there.

MYNEWS13.COM

Several projects were presented Tuesday.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

You can still schedule those non-conference teams in the new conference. You'd be able to keep those AND have a constant schedule with branded teams with more prestige than what's left in the AAC. I also don't agree with the view of rejecting an offer from a G5 "stepping stone conference" for a G5 lesser one with a lower profile. I'd also argue the SEC will eventually move to a 9 game (like the B1G) or perhaps a 10 game conference slate. They've added more teams (possibly more later) for more content and therefore would get a lucrative pay bump due to higher TV viewership due to desired matchups. Also they would have more NIL money to distribute. Something else the players would buy into.