Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,813
  • Days Won:  7

40 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

We'd be happy to go to the B12 for the money, but long term I can't imagine our admin will be happy associating with those schools. We would be the highest ranked school in the entire conference, and we are ranked #89 (USN&WR), that's not a high bar. Long term we would definitely want to be more associated with ACC (or the pipe dream, B1G), due to research synergies and academic endeavors

FSU leaves the ACC = USF invite (almost assuredly)

FSU goes to SEC = leaves door open for USF to the B1G. USF fits the B1G's institutional model (large enrollment, public AAU research universities) much better than Miami. (USF would need to achieve quite a bit over the next 5 years for this option to be available). 

Ideal for USF: FSU leaves and goes to the SEC. 

Absolutely the most ideal situation to ensure USF has a place to grow and compete over the next 20-30+ years would be to go to the Big 10 and not the ACC. We want don’t want to realign into a new conference but make a lateral or diagonal move. We have to have short term success now and get lucky with an invite to the Big 10. It’s a game changer. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Why would anyone from the ACC go to the B12? 

I don’t think they would, hence the P2 or whatever ….

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

8 hours ago, Cat941 said:

The time to win is now.  Be relevant.  We should feel the pressure to succeed.  Can't be apathetic and survive.  

The pressure to win has always been there for the coaches….. some have handled it better than others. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,871
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

UNLV instead of Arizona school. The diluted ACC is going to poach Arizona or ASU? I don’t think so.

Boise St should be on this list for the west. Fresno St, Nevada? At that point you still have Stanford, Cal, SMU, Memphis to compete for the West. UNLV brings in basketball.

The East has USF to beat up on, and we get paid more. Win win win

UNLV, Nevada, Fresno could make sense. I think Boise might be attractive but they’re a stretch. Travel from Boston to the SF Bay will be taxing enough and I’m not sure we’d want to add a trip to the middle of nowhere. Idk how the non-revenue sports will work, but it seems like things could get mixed around nicely.

Updated list:

East:
bc
wake forest

Louisville

Syracuse 

USF

Virginia

Miami

NC State

West:

Stanford

Cal

SMU 

Memphis

UNLV

San Diego St

Fresno st

Nevada

I wonder if any of those Midwest big 12 schools could be picked off to strengthen the middle of the conference? Aside from that you could add like Tulsa or Tulane into the mix.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,792
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

UNLV, Nevada, Fresno could make sense. I think Boise might be attractive but they’re a stretch. Travel from Boston to the SF Bay will be taxing enough and I’m not sure we’d want to add a trip to the middle of nowhere. Idk how the non-revenue sports will work, but it seems like things could get mixed around nicely.

Updated list:

East:
bc
wake forest

Louisville

Syracuse 

USF

Virginia

Miami

NC State

West:

Stanford

Cal

SMU 

Memphis

UNLV

San Diego St

Fresno st

Nevada

I wonder if any of those Midwest big 12 schools could be picked off to strengthen the middle of the conference? Aside from that you could add like Tulsa or Tulane into the mix.

If they could go 24 teams. 3 pods of 8 (East, central, west). Play the 7 in your pod and 1 each from the other pods. Then the top 4 get seeded for a small conference playoff. That would give 9 conference games, and 3 ooc before the conference playoff. Total of 14 games before real playoffs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Days Won:  6

47 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Updated list:

East:
bc
wake forest

Louisville

Syracuse 

USF

Virginia

Miami

NC State

West:

Stanford

Cal

SMU 

Memphis

UNLV

San Diego St

Fresno st

Nevada

Tell me again where Pitt, VT and Duke are in all this.

46 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

If they could go 24 teams. 3 pods of 8 (East, central, west). Play the 7 in your pod and 1 each from the other pods. Then the top 4 get seeded for a small conference playoff. That would give 9 conference games, and 3 ooc before the conference playoff. Total of 14 games before real playoffs.

Now you’re cooking. I think that format might be the way of the future with these mega conferences. I think it would be interesting 

3 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Tell me again where Pitt, VT and Duke are in all this.

Probably somewhere else. I think the sec takes fsu, Clemson, UNC, and probably either Duke or VT. The Big 10 being a glutton might take VT or Pitt, or both. The big 12 could also seek out Pitt or Vt, I think Pitt makes sense since WVU is there. It’s all conjecture in the sandbox.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,792
  • Days Won:  3

To go even further with this idea. Six conference like this (total of 144 teams), and twelve playoff spots (6 conference champs  + 6 at large). Put the bowl games in for the conference playoff and the CFP (18 games for the conference ones, and 15 for the CFP).

The only problem I see with this plan is: can we really make the students play this many games safely.

2 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

Now you’re cooking. I think that format might be the way of the future with these mega conferences. I think it would be interesting 

1 minute ago, Peatearpan said:

To go even further with this idea. Six conference like this (total of 144 teams), and twelve playoff spots (6 conference champs  + 6 at large). Put the bowl games in for the conference playoff and the CFP (18 games for the conference ones, and 15 for the CFP).

The only problem I see with this plan is: can we really make the students play this many games safely.

I don’t think all 144 get a seat. It will likely be about half. The top doesn’t want to share, but if they wanted to make this about equity and young athletes, 6 conferences would make sense.

I think the conference playoffs would probably only be like top 4 or 8 teams. That way you keep the number of games down. I think there still might be a few bowl games out there, but those games should be absorbed into the playoff structure.