Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

1. This gets the power 5 to 70, nice # for a break-off from NCAA. What 2 would the Pac add? What 4 would the B12 add?

Expand
  2. My UT source saw me tweeting today & emailed me this: Other 3 power 5 conferences putting pressure on Pac/B12 to be at 14 for CFB playoff.

More unverified nonsense, but good news for USF if true

Read tweets from bottom up**

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Everyone ignores the biggest thing that Boise and BYU bring to the table ... and that is a willingness to accept a football only membership (BYU basically has that as an independent in football and Boise said yes to the Big East, so clearly it would say yes to the Big 12)

I am not saying this will happen, but if the Big 12 members don't want 2 full members or bad travel for their volleyball teams, but want a football championship game ... then Boise and BYU might get the call.

MIke it is not about quality competition. Dodds has made it clear that they are not going to add just to add unless it brings the same or more revenue. BYU may do some of that but Boise does not.

Well, here is an example. Boise and BYU agree to Football only membership and agree to take $7.5 million per year for each school. The championship game adds $25 million to the league.

Then everyone gets an extra million dollars.

If this happens...poor WVU. I would think they are looking for 2 full members to make travel easier on WVU and an ability to split the conference into 2 "realtively" closer leagues.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

1. This gets the power 5 to 70, nice # for a break-off from NCAA. What 2 would the Pac add? What 4 would the B12 add?

Expand
  2. My UT source saw me tweeting today & emailed me this: Other 3 power 5 conferences putting pressure on Pac/B12 to be at 14 for CFB playoff.

The Pac 12 would seem to be limited to BYU, Boise and/or SDSU.  That could presumably take BYU and Boise off the table for the Big 12, leaving USF/UCF in the drivers seat!

Anything other unsubstantiated rumors we can use to bolster our sagging hopes?
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Expand

The Pac 12 would seem to be limited to BYU, Boise and/or SDSU.  That could presumably take BYU and Boise off the table for the Big 12, leaving USF/UCF in the drivers seat!

One can dream.

At least the rumors this go around are looking better for USF

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,005
  • Days Won:  4

...pressure on Pac/B12 to be at 14 for CFB playoff.

I wonder what sort of 'pressure' any conference can exert over any other P5 conference? This article outlines the idea of each of the P5 playing the same number of conference games per season and the thinking that each conference should have a championship game, but I don't think that necessarily translates to any conference experiencing pressure to add teams. And it seems to me that if there was any sort of real pressure to 'level the playing field', I think adding a football-only member might be the least expensive route, as this only football related. 

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_23185939/pac-12-football-coaches-look-forward-ncaas-four

Unsubstantiated rumors are the lifeblood of this thread. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

C'mon 200....we can do it!

#dosomething

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

Nick Saban believes in 5 conferences at 14 teams for total of 70 power teams. Consider it done.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

...pressure on Pac/B12 to be at 14 for CFB playoff.

I wonder what sort of 'pressure' any conference can exert over any other P5 conference? This article outlines the idea of each of the P5 playing the same number of conference games per season and the thinking that each conference should have a championship game, but I don't think that necessarily translates to any conference experiencing pressure to add teams. And it seems to me that if there was any sort of real pressure to 'level the playing field', I think adding a football-only member might be the least expensive route, as this only football related. 

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_23185939/pac-12-football-coaches-look-forward-ncaas-four

There are only four seats at the playoff table, and (presumably) five big conferences.  If the number of teams in the conference and winning a conference champsionship game weigh heavily in the criteria, the Big 12 could easily find itself rarely having a team in the four team playoff.  In theory, anyway.  That might be enough pressure to make them capitulate.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/76834/expansion-not-dead-but-not-b1gs-priority

"The Eastern corridor is ... the richest corridor in the world from the standpoint of financial institutions, political institutions, media institutions, and we're new to it. So if we can build relationships, make friends and be impactful and relevant over time, that's the goal."

I guess its the same reason why the B12 wants to continue to migrate south. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Expand

Don't see Boise or BYU getting an invite. Wrong kind of schools. PAC is about prestige

SDSU and Fresno State would make the most sense, but Cali already had 4 teams. Might be some pushback from the non-Cali schools. Also Berkeley and UCLA are part of the UC stystem, whereas SDSU and Fresno are part of the "lesser" Cal State system. There would be pushback there as well. Both are unlikely, IMO.

No, I think the PAC want TX, TX Tech, Oklahoma, and Okie State, and will sit tight until those 4 are ready to jump.

Edited by charsibb