Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,096
  • Days Won:  2

26 minutes ago, michibull said:

For me personally, I don’t mean it as an elitist attitude as much as it is self preservation. We went from nothing to a budding rivalry with WVU, working on a rivalry with Miami or FSU, to being forced together with UCF, then being left behind to be joined by FAU. I’m greatly concerned that this will be our home for the next whatever time. I learned about USF when we got into CUSA, went to school during the first BE years and to watch this fall is painful. Maybe if I followed USF back in ‘97 I’d have a different perspective, but I didn’t and as a competitive person, this is really hard to accept. I am naturally an easy going, happy go lucky person, but even this is hard to stay positive about all the time, haha. Believe me, I don’t have an elitist attitude, I just want USF in the best conference possible and I realize how bad we’ve been; to the point that yes FAU is better currently. I just don’t want to repeat the past. I want USF to be in a conference with like minded universities (Stanford, Cal, Rice, Tulane, education first but very competitive teams). 

I appreciate this at it gives a little perspective.  I will in turn give you a little perspective of those who were around when USF football was just an idea. 

In ye olden days, when I went to USF I sometimes would pass on my way to and from classes a table set up with a football on it with some students trying to drum up support.  I usually was coming from or going back to work so I never stopped by.  You might ask why and I will give you another perspective.  At that time, Miami was the dominant program in all of college football.  FSU was always right there in the top 5 but would always have something happen to keep them from winning it all (wide right?).  Florida was still pre-coach Spurrier and a good but not great team.  Still, Florida easily had the most fans and they were the epitome of "paper champions".  Never did a **** thing yet walked around like they were superior to all. There were plenty walking around campus in Florida gear at any given time.   Anyway, I was trying to reason how an upstart USF program could even compete with that. If you wonder why some of us old guys are not melting down over all of this, keep in mind we are not happy but we lived through a time when any kind of USF football seemed out of reach. 

Edited by Mission9
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,793
  • Days Won:  3

52 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The clueless, elitist attitude of some on here is mind numbing at times … and they’re out in full force this morning. 

I mean SMU had a great program, then the NCAA gave them the death penalty. We didn’t deserve an invite over them. Plus they pretty much bought their way into the ACC which very much has the potential to be raided. So they are getting a guaranteed couple of years of stability and  to have an outside shot at the CFP. By the time their 7 years of forfeited broadcast income is up, the best teams from that conference may very well be gone.

Also, payout should be determined by where you finish in the conference. No?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Days Won:  1

8 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

I appreciate this at it gives a little perspective.  I will in turn give you a little perspective of those who were around when USF football was just an idea. 

In ye olden days, when I went to USF I sometimes would pass on my way to and from classes a table set up with a football on it with some students trying to drum up support.  I usually was coming from or going back to work so I never stopped by.  You might ask why and I will give you another perspective.  At that time, Miami was the dominant program in all of college football.  FSU was always right there in the top 5 but would always have something happen to keep them from winning it all (wide right?).  Florida was still pre-coach Spurrier and a good but not great team.  Still, Florida easily had the most fans and they were the epitome of "paper champions".  Never did a **** thing yet walked around like they were superior to all. There were plenty walking around campus in Florida gear at any given time.   Anyway, I was trying to reason how an upstart USF program could even compete with that. If you wonder why some of us old guys are not melting down over all of this, keep in mind we are not happy but we lived through a time when any kind of USF football seemed out of reach. 

Fair enough, I appreciate taking a minute to share. I can definitely see how having a team to root for means more than who we play and I agree with that. Wherever we end up, I will always watch and root on. It is amazing to realize how fast CFB has evolved and changed in the last 40 years. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

Dana Carvey Grumpy Old Man GIF - Dana Carvey Grumpy Old Man Snl - Discover  & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

Just now, michibull said:

Fair enough, I appreciate taking a minute to share. I can definitely see how having a team to root for means more than who we play and I agree with that. Wherever we end up, I will always watch and root on. It is amazing to realize how fast CFB has evolved and changed in the last 40 years. 

Going to the games are just fun. Even when we are losing I get entertainment from the really drunk fans and what they say. **** cracks me up.

Winning is always better though. Always better.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

Going to the games are just fun. Even when we are losing I get entertainment from the really drunk fans and what they say. **** cracks me up.

Winning is always better though. Always better.

You can go into any bar in America and watch the drunk people for free

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  179
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

So they are getting a guaranteed couple of years of stability and  to have an outside shot at the CFP.

A very outside shot. Their chances at the CFP would probably be better in the AAC under the upcoming format. 

I guess we'll just have to take that spot. :1396_metal_tone2:

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Just now, puc86 said:

I'm not sure what bar you go to, but in my experience, they ain't free! 

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Also true, but I do enjoy the games still. I just like being in those environments. There is excitement in the air until we get scored on and the stadium gets deflated.

1 minute ago, Bull Gooner said:

A very outside shot. Their chances at the CFP would probably be better in the AAC under the upcoming format. 

I guess we'll just have to take that spot. :1396_metal_tone2:

Maybe SMU was afraid to play Rice or UTSA? 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

I'm not sure what bar you go to, but in my experience, they ain't free! 

Drinking is not free but observing drunks is not a very pricy experience