Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,176
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

What time  frame are we talking happy hour, brunch, early evening, late night, or closing time?Amy Schumer Cheers GIF by I Feel Pretty

Do I have a closing time story. Can't share it here with my son-in-law on here 😉

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  13,826
  • Days Won:  30

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Do I have a closing time story. Can't share it here with my son-in-law on here 😉

Did you not teach your son-in-law the first rule of bro code? IT was like the first thing my father-in-law did along with making me have a cigar and tequila. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, Mission9 said:

Interesting response. So, we will overlook the fact the "p" designation was not a thing yet and the talking heads fell all over themselves to trash the Big East. Also the fact USF had only been in said Big East a handful of seasons. My question is, if USF had built a stadium, who would we have beat out?

Lol.  "P" was not a thing yet.  Ok, we can pretend the Big East was not a power conference.  Whatever.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,096
  • Days Won:  2

20 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Lol.  "P" was not a thing yet.  Ok, we can pretend the Big East was not a power conference.  Whatever.

You are totally missing the point.  My  point was that USF was never a shoe in to move up when there was talk of 4 - 16 team conferences.  While the Big East was part of the BCS and certainly was on par with at least a couple of the other BCS conferences, the powers that be were overly critical of it.  Guess which team was the new one to the club and probably the one they had most in mind while being critical?  Oh, and I don't watch that much college football like a lot on here but I only recall the "Power" designation being used on a regular basis once the BCS and Big East were over. 

You failed to answer my question.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I doubt you get any takers on that question ....

True.  It is hard to logically argue that USF would have beaten out any of the teams which have been promoted since the breakup of the Big East. Even if a new stadium had been built 10 or so years ago. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465

22 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

True.  It is hard to logically argue that USF would have beaten out any of the teams which have been promoted since the breakup of the Big East. Even if a new stadium had been built 10 or so years ago. 

It's definitely hard to make that argument. It makes sense when you look at the 3 teams left behind as the Big East became the AAC. 

Cincy, recent CUSA callup. USF, recent CUSA callup with barely a decade in FBS when the Big East was falling apart. UConn, recent FCS callup with less than a decade in FBS. Only Louisville made it out from the 3 CUSA callups and barely. They needed the Rutgers + Maryland to the B1G move to happen in order for an ACC spot to open up for them. 

All this to say, odds were very long no matter what since the breakup happened with USF and others still so very new to the BCS level and in some cases, even FBS.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

It's definitely hard to make that argument. It makes sense when you look at the 3 teams left behind as the Big East became the AAC. 

Cincy, recent CUSA callup. USF, recent CUSA callup with barely a decade in FBS when the Big East was falling apart. UConn, recent FCS callup with less than a decade in FBS. Only Louisville made it out from the 3 CUSA callups and barely. They needed the Rutgers + Maryland to the B1G move to happen in order for an ACC spot to open up for them. 

All this to say, odds were very long no matter what since the breakup happened with USF and others still so very new to the BCS level and in some cases, even FBS.

Louisville and Cincinnati had been around awhile and had played a lot of the bigger eastern teams over the years.  Not to mention, they have name brands in basketball which people recognize.  I never thought USF would move up before them.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465

3 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

Louisville and Cincinnati had been around awhile and had played a lot of the bigger eastern teams over the years.  Not to mention, they have name brands in basketball which people recognize.  I never thought USF would move up before them.  

Exactly. And given that Cincy was left behind that time even despite their history, there realistically just wasn't anything USF could have done differently. Not unless you built 2 stadiums and went to like 5 BCS bowls in your 8 years in the Big East or something insane like that lol

27 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Exactly. And given that Cincy was left behind that time even despite their history, there realistically just wasn't anything USF could have done differently. Not unless you built 2 stadiums and went to like 5 BCS bowls in your 8 years in the Big East or something insane like that lol

A lot of people think that it is only about winning.  Winning is an important piece of the pie in that it generates fan interest and a greater following.  It is the one thing a program can  control, if you will.   Still, if it were merely about winning, Syracuse would not have been chosen over USF given that USF had beaten them 6 out of 8 (now 8 out of 10) times and had better seasons at the end of the Big East.  Still, no one with a rational point of view would think USF would be chosen over Syracuse.  Syracuse with a recognizable name brand and where a lot of the guys on the major networks went to school. 

Some might think my points are to be critical of USF or think USF should not aspire to move up.  Quite the contrary. I despise the system which has basically left out a great number of schools including USF which has shown it can draw in the 40 to 50k range when in a bigger conference. I long quit watching ESPN college football shows as I no longer have to hear "history and tradition" or "body of work" which basically was another way of telling USF (and others in the same situation) "you don't belong and we will make sure you are left out".

Edited by Mission9
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  2,503
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Mission9 said:

Yeah that and Louisville had Papa John bankrolling them.