Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

Do we get to take the cash with us?

Probably not ... .but I don't care .... that cash is wonderful in the short term .. the Big 12 is wonderful in the long term.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Probably not ... .but I don't care .... that cash is wonderful in the short term .. the Big 12 is wonderful in the long term.

Was pretty much joking, but would be nice to get the check and then announce we are leaving. Just a lil bonus for having to chew the power cord off my computer every night for the last couple of years.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Gotta think 2 more teams are added soon. 

No, I don't have to 'gotta think 2 more' at all, especially regarding that nebulous word "soon". The great thing about this thread is that it is rumor and conjecture, completely op/ed. As soon as the Big XII says that in light of the NCAA decision they have decided to add two schools (names required) on (date required) for play in (season required)...then I'll get excited. As it stands now, you wanted a playoff? You got one. 

I don't know if this has been bandied about, but it's a good piece from just over a week ago (just after the ACC GOR release), and coupled with the NCAA decision, I'm not holding my breath waiting on the '2 more teams'. 

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/4/22/4253268/big-12-expansion-acc-grant-of-rights-conference-realignment

"But don't count on Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby being disappointed about the developments. A major proponent of the argument that bigger isn't better, Bowlsby has been consistent in saying that the conference is content at 10 teams and willing to sit on the sidelines of realignment absent overwhelming evidence that the league would benefit from expansion, though skeptics wonder if that really means that there has to be overwhelming evidence that Texas and Oklahoma would benefit from expansion. If the Big 12 does decide that they want to expand, it will have to focus efforts on members of the American Athletic Conference, the former Big East that will end up housing many former members of Conference USA. With the departure of Louisville to the ACC, the number of appealing options for the Big 12 has never been lower.

Cincinnati is still on the table as a possibility, but otherwise the Big 12 would have to look into expanding into Florida or bringing back former members of the SWC like SMU or Houston.  Florida schools like Central Florida or South Florida would be appealing because they could help open up the fertile state of Florida to Big 12 recruiting efforts, but they wouldn't bring enough television money to the table to make them viable options based on what Bowlsby has been saying."

This is the thing that drives me absolutely crazy.  

Bowlsby has been consistent in saying that the conference is content at 10 teams and willing to sit on the sidelines of realignment absent overwhelming evidence that the league would benefit from expansion,

Of course Bowlsby is going to say that.  What is he supposed to say?  "We really need to be at 12 teams but we want to lower our bargaining power by appearing desperate".  It is pure stupidity when some writer bases their opinion on what the conference commissioner or any university president says.  

The Big 12 has been working like crazy to add teams.  They haven't been able to get their top choices.  But why add two second tier choices when FSU, Miami and Clemson were still out there?  That would be stupid.  Now that they are apparently off the table, they can move on to other options.  And they do need to add two teams.  What Bowlsby says is merely negotiating.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

Was pretty much joking, but would be nice to get the check and then announce we are leaving. Just a lil bonus for having to chew the power cord off my computer every night for the last couple of years.

Well look, USF, UConn and Cincinnati want to distribute the money before July 1.. because that is when a whole bunch of schools get a vote. So, we may already have gotten some of it ... or we might get the cash, then leave (where we would glad have to give $10 million back).

How crazy would it be to get the cash and get to leave too!

Well look, USF, UConn and Cincinnati want to distribute the money before July 1.. because that is when a whole bunch of schools get a vote. So, we may already have gotten some of it ... or we might get the cash, then leave (where we would glad have to give $10 million back).

How crazy would it be to get the cash and get to leave too!

I have been thinking about the July 1 date. If USF and Cincy got picked to go. They dissolve the conference(having the votes to do it), distribute the money and leave CUSA and the rest of the AAC imports to figure out how to re-form. No exit fee, a nice pay raise of media rights(from $3MM to some scale up headed for $20MM) and a $28MM cash distribution down payment for our new stadium. Cha-ching.i'm starting to root for Cincy as our partner, it solves a huge host of issues. Now that's hardball.

Edited by Bullwinkle

this is getting good. Scout and 247 saying USF/UCF to B12, stay tuned.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574
  • Days Won:  0

Scout is reporting it too?  Which site?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Don't think we are going anywhere without UCF at this point.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

As in "done deal" or as in "likely lead candidates"

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

I'm voting for Tulane and Houston.

Respectfully, 

Mr. Negativity

8LMM5T5nwz-4.png