Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

It would be ACC With Orange Bowl bid and probably a renogiated ESPN TV contract that would be somewhat less than the $16 mil they are getting now

(assume Big 2 takes 6 - UL, FSU, CU, Pitt, GaTech, Duke - SEC takes VT NcSt - B1G takes UnC UVA)

Add some BBall only to ACC

BBall schools would be ND, Georgetown, and St Johns, possibly Nova

Existing ACC team Cuse, Miami (ban hammer coming), and Wake Forest

Add Uconn, Cincy, Temple, USF, UCF, Houston, SmU, Boise St (assuming PAC does not make move), Memphis

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

The question I put for isn't should USF put up $10-15 million, its where its coming from. You think the Big East is going to take an IOU for leaving and have them wait until they get the TV money from the ACC? LOL

One thing that has been mentioned which I thought was crazy was what if Sec then B1G goes to 16, Big 12 gets to take FSU and Clem and others to 16 and let's say those 6 are (FSU, CLem, GaTech, Miami, Duke, and UL)

That leaves only PAC 12 with 12 and leaves ND, BC, Pitt, and Cuse. As a possible pod in PAC. The reason why this works is traditional rivalries with ND in Pitt, BC, Cuse, UCLA, USC.

The 2 things making that not work is NBC and ND being independent and the fact ND is #1 in BCS right now. If USC beats them this week it could get interesting.

The question I put for isn't should USF put up $10-15 million, its where its coming from. You think the Big East is going to take an IOU for leaving and have them wait until they get the TV money from the ACC? LOL

Whose left of BE if Georgetown, Nova and St johns are in ACC BBall, and all the football schools are gone? I would tend to think leftover BE BBall teams would merge with A10.

• Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,778
  • Days Won:  8

Coming from Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, Uconn/Louisville.

Just put the exit fees of those who left before us to our own departure. I guess it won't cover the full cost, but the money from the move should do it.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Good take from:

http://ajerseyguy.com/

November 21, 2012 – 8:41 am

If you are Atlantic Coast Commissioner John Swofford this morning, you should be very worried. More stuff, more bad stuff may indeed be coming.

If you are Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany this morning, you are satisfied, but not content. You are not quite done in your quest to build an empire that may not stretch from Coast-to-Coast, but will clearly establish you as the King of the Hill in the ever-changing landscape of college athletics.

If you are Boston College athletic director Brad Bates and BC President Father William Leahy and the other members of the Board of Trustees, you are curious and open-minded (if you are not, you should be).

Lots of people–including Swofford and company–were stunned by the Big Ten’s raid which grabbed charter ACC member Maryland on Monday as well as Big East member Rutgers.

No one should be surprised at Rutgers move. Scarlet Knights Director of Athletics Tim Pernetti had been shopping RU around the country for the past several months. The Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, all were possible landing spots for a school that has wanted to leave the Big East for the past several years.

But Maryland? No way right?

Sorry. It has been on Delany’s list of targets since last year. In fact, when I was still working at the Boston Globe, I posted an early watch out.

As Annie Savoy of Bull Durham fame would say, “You could look it up.†So I did. Here’s my item from May of 2011.

“â€There may be more trouble coming for the Big East if the Big Ten decides to move forward again in a few years; already there are rumblings that it might go to 14 teams, with an eye on Georgia Tech and Maryland, which would significantly increase its television footprint.

If that happens, the ACC will be forced to react (UConn? Syracuse? Rutgers?) with what surely would be a fatal blow to Big East football.â€

So most, if not all, of it happened.

What next?

Already there have been some rumblings in the Big Ten that 16 still is the optimum number to finish out their business.

Where does the Big Ten look? And remember this is not about geography or competition as much as it is about television exposure.

The Big Ten doesn’t need to go into the Midwest any more. Missouri would have been a nice fit, but the Tigers went to the SEC. Texas would be an ideal target and would be the home run that each conference–SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big Ten wants.

Right now, the Longhorns are content, but things change. They still remain at the top target.

Delany will most likely continue to look East. He has the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic now covered. What’s left? The Southeast. Hello Georgia Tech, which was on the original wish list.

And NEW ENGLAND. The Big Ten could make a run at UConn. The Huskies are like Rutgers. They will hop on the firstt bus out-of-towne. But they are on NCAA academic probation, which the Big Ten frowns upon.

Hello Boston College. The Eagles public stance will be that they are very happy in the ACC. But they were also happy in the Big East until a more secure deal came along.

They say they are contende with the ACC which will pay them $17 million each year. Delany’s answer is simple: How does $34 million, $40 million or $50 million each year sound?

What do Swofford and the ACC do? They need to be proactive. First they must clear the dead wood from the conference. Come to a reasonable settlement–$50 million won’t work–and let Maryland leave now. Not in 2014, but next year. Lame duck seasons are horrible on anyone. I know I watched the crap that BC endured, including going to a football game at Syracuse where the Orange fans–irate that they had been passed over by BC after they had the original deal with the ACC locked up–threw dollar bills at then BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo and then BC football coach Tom O’Brien.

The ACC must act quickly. They need to go from 13 to 16 not 13 to 14. Connecticut and Louisville will come in a heart beat. Add one more–South Florida, Cincinnati–and they can breathe a little easier for the time being.

If Florida State or Clemson are poached by the SEC or Big 12, the ACC will still have a solid base. It could be awkward to have 17 teams in basketball, but it can work.

The Big East? Concede defeat in football and focus on becoming a solid 10 team primarily Catholic league in basketball with similar interests and no dealings with football.

Sure, the loss in revenue will hurt, but in the end, they will be happier.

The Big 12 must also move to protect its flank. Staying at 10 is nice but it is not going to work. Florida State and Louisville are primed and ready. So is Clemson or Virginia Tech. Look hard again at BYU and Boise State.

The Pac-12 can say it is content at 12, but they should also make another run at Texas and Oklahoma and perhaps look at BYU and Boise State or San Diego State.

And then you have 4 or at the most 5 super conferences of 16 teams–64 or 80 schools, who will form an organization called the CFA–College Football Association who will then inform the NCAA they are leaving.

All of this sounds like fairy tale stuff, can’t happen right?

Think again. It is not a question of if, it is simply when.

Coming from Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, Uconn/Louisville.

Just put the exit fees of those who left before us to our own departure. I guess it won't cover the full cost, but the money from the move should do it.

You think USF saw any of that money?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

I can help with this one. Conference entry fees are rarely paid in cash, they are usually withheld from future tv money. For example, if the entry fee is $15 million, the school entering might agree to allow the new conference to hold back $5 million of tv money each of the first 3 years.

Exit fees are a little similar, If USF were to leave the Big East, we wouldn't write a $10 million check, the Big East would withhold tv money on the backend from us, then we would write a check for the difference.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

This, in addition sometimes the new conference floats the targeted school money as a loan as well See WVU. So money is not a reason nor should be a reason for anyone to think we should be stuck in the BE if ANY of the Power 5 will take us. We have to go at all cost.

I can help with this one. Conference entry fees are rarely paid in cash, they are usually withheld from future tv money. For example, if the entry fee is $15 million, the school entering might agree to allow the new conference to hold back $5 million of tv money each of the first 3 years.

Exit fees are a little similar, If USF were to leave the Big East, we wouldn't write a $10 million check, the Big East would withhold tv money on the backend from us, then we would write a check for the difference.

The reason I brought this up was I saw that Leavitt's settlement wasn't paid out of any conference or school money but from the fund from donors ear marked for the athletes. I couldn't see that fund taking such a huge hit especially if its needed to pay Holtz contract out. But per Greg, he isn't going anywhere soon.