Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  179
  • Days Won:  0

53 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I would take Memphis over Rice every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but it seems this is an academic/market thing. 

Whatever the reason, it's serving them well. IF this PAAC happens and Rice is part of it, they would have moved up in conferences twice in a 3-4 year span. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

17 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Yes, B12 Hates USF.

it goes back to texas thinking we stole their hand sign :GoBulls:

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Bull Gooner said:

Whatever the reason, it's serving them well. IF this PAAC happens and Rice is part of it, they would have moved up in conferences twice in a 3-4 year span. 

Academics are probably playing a part but having a team in the #7 tv market vs. #52 gives Rice the invite over Memphis.  I think the PAAC will look at big markets first (in CT and ET) in combination with academics.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,716
  • Days Won:  53

13 minutes ago, Bull Gooner said:

A huge come up, like legacy USF.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,716
  • Days Won:  53

19 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

And even with respect to the "P2," contraction is coming down the road...  Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, etc. won't be able to mooch off of the brand names forever. 

Then we split and have "real college football" and let the weird semi pro thing go over there.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

34 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Even if we get into the PAC, I imagine the propaganda will just keep saying P4 and will us out of existence.

Yup!  USF went the through this when we joined the Big East. We will do it again. It will be a strong academic conference. We will be called the Nerd Conference.  nerds GIF

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,259
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Not if Stanford and Cal are in the conference. They clearly have the sympathy of many presidents and ADs, and our best shot (imperfect as it is) would be to hitch our wagon to them. I think if the PAC rebuilds there will still be a de jure P5 but a de facto P2. So we'd be as much a "P5" as the Big 12 and the ACC, perhaps not earning as much money as them, but also not part of the "P2." 

And even with respect to the "P2," contraction is coming down the road...  Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, etc. won't be able to mooch off of the brand names forever. 

Yeah this is something I'm waiting on too. I feel like we aren't far from the 20 or so massive brand colleges splitting off and forming a semi pro league essentially. Hopefully the the rest of college sports can just be rearranged geographically and all this nonsense can end. 

I wouldn't watch a minute of a broken off league of big names, but I'm sure it's their eventual goal. Many schools are essentially collecting a check because of the brand and fan base of a few schools. Would prob be in everyone's interest if college football became a semi pro league where players are paid for the top players, then a second tier how it used to be, organized geographically, then the schools who's football is in the semi pro or whatever play their Olympics in whatever conference matches geographically. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,014
  • Days Won:  1

If played right, the hypothetical PAAC should get to 12 (or the minimum for a championship games, 10 would be better) and stay put until something happens with the ACC. If the ACC blows up in a few years, the PAAC could scoop up Duke, BC, UCONN, UNC/Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse (depending on who leaves for where). That would be a solid Power Conference with monetary leverage.  

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

1 minute ago, michibull said:

If played right, the hypothetical PAAC should get to 12 (or the minimum for a championship games, 10 would be better) and stay put until something happens with the ACC. If the ACC blows up in a few years, the PAAC could scoop up Duke, BC, UCONN, UNC/Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse (depending on who leaves for where). That would be a solid Power Conference with monetary leverage.  

Yes exactly. This is USF opportunity. They must win tons and get back some respect. So if & when the ACC expands USF is a shoe in with or without FSU leaving. 

• Topic Count:  342
  • Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

This new "PAAC" would have two teams in the top 25 right now.  New Big 12 has 3 (I think).  Someone can double check me on that.