Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,256
  • Days Won:  37

2 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Put another way, the deal is probably dead, but please don’t stop clicking on my articles!

Or, they'll talk about someone else.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

29 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Our best hope was the ACC not expanding. If we somehow end up in a conference with the PAC 4, then things are looking up.

I agree. However USF needs to see results on both football fields & basketball courts. USF has a lot of other things going for it besides the wins right now.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

Feeling a bit more optimistic for USF after the ACC's Stanford/Cal/SMU expansion option fell apart last night. Seems like USF is destined to share a conference with at least two, possibly four, of the PAC-4 schools. Also seems like USF could very well end up in a revamped ACC, possibly even by the time we're in the new OCS. 

What USF absolutely must not do is lock itself into a GOR with some new mishmash conference. We need to keep our options open in case the remains of the ACC come calling. Even without FSU/Clemson and a few others, I anticipate the ACC will do a better job of sticking together and preserving a conference that's about as good, if not better than, the Big 12.

I appreciate the fandom, but you’re being unrealistic.  The moment the ACC opens up all but three schools are gone to other conferences.  Our best chance is to make the AAC as strong as possible; ie add the PAC 4, poach a couple of the best MWC in a year or two and be ready to pickup maybe Wake Forest when the ACC crumbles.  Do that and we are far and away the 4th best conference.  There will be no acc in the future.  The pac is dead.  Take the remainders and make best possible coast to coast conference and do ESPN’s bidding.  That’s it.  The best option.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,982
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

Issues with ND. What a surprise!!!

Full voting member without football ...... that's crazy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Now we all can concentrate on the upcoming football season!! Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,771
  • Days Won:  14

20 minutes ago, I like GOOOOLD (and green) said:

I appreciate the fandom, but you’re being unrealistic.  The moment the ACC opens up all but three schools are gone to other conferences.  Our best chance is to make the AAC as strong as possible; ie add the PAC 4, poach a couple of the best MWC in a year or two and be ready to pickup maybe Wake Forest when the ACC crumbles.  Do that and we are far and away the 4th best conference.  There will be no acc in the future.  The pac is dead.  Take the remainders and make best possible coast to coast conference and do ESPN’s bidding.  That’s it.  The best option.

I appreciate your thoughts, but I disagree. I think the ACC will carry on and rival the Big 12. I also think you can split up the ACC into roughly three groups, and members in two of those three groups are either unlikely, or may or may not be able, to find a new home in another "P5" conference.

Likely staying in a future ACC because the B1G, SEC, and Big 12 don't want them:

• Pittsburgh
  • Syracuse
  • Boston College
  • Wake Forest
  • Georgia Tech (tough one, could be on the bubble)

On the bubble:

• Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • NC State
  • Louisville
  • Duke

Likely departures:

• FSU
  • Miami
  • North Carolina
  • Clemson
  • Notre Dame
Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,982
  • Days Won:  436

5 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Now we all can concentrate on the upcoming football season!! Go Bulls!!!

image.gif.b54c293f54b14d25a9ca02c68425166c.gif

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  13,826
  • Days Won:  30

9 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I appreciate your thoughts, but I disagree. I think the ACC will carry on and rival the Big 12. I also think you can split up the ACC into roughly three groups, and members in two of those three groups are either unlikely, or may or may not be able, to find a new home in another "P5" conference.

Likely staying in a future ACC because the B1G, SEC, and Big 12 don't want them:

• Pittsburgh
  • Syracuse
  • Boston College
  • Wake Forest
  • Georgia Tech

On the bubble:

• Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • NC State
  • Louisville
  • Duke

Likely departures:

• FSU
  • Miami
  • North Carolina
  • Clemson
  • Notre Dame

the bubble:

Virginia- terrible at football not sec quality maybe b1g market with Maryland. 

Virginia Tech- have been bad recently. Don't really add anything to sec or b1g.

NC State- would be decent to partner with NC to sec or b1g.

Louisville- I don't see them or Duke wanting to leave.  Should be in same category as the big east leftovers. 

Duke- I could see the sec/b1g adding them to keep them away from the b12 . I don't think they want to leave the sec. 

At the end of the day it js all just throwing crap on the wall until it sticks... then the teams play musical chairs that defy logic and reason other than  more money when moving to other conferences . If I am the acc I get ND in for football and you probably get a big deal for TV money.  I think ND is overrated but they get people to watch them still. Some random guy on sports board had the best idea to save the pac. Add ND ,Tulane,  smu, usf, memphis, utsa, wku, liberty, coastal Carolina, airforce ,army,and Colorado state to the pac4. The powers that be love ND and there is no way they would not call it a power conference.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Days Won:  1

ACC isn't going to "open up". That GOR is sticking through 2036 any anyone who wants out will be negotiating against it. 

UVA would be the smallest school enrollment-wise in the B1G. Superior academics though, so I think they do "fit" but outside of Oregon, the B1G's mission has been large enrollments/fanbases. I think UVA is a fringe school for both the B1G and SEC based on brand, but that Virginia Tech actually fits the "mold" better for both conferences. EDIT: B1G carries DC market with Maryland already, so I don't think either school is a must-have for them. Richmond and VaBeach aren't exactly destination cities either. 

Give me ACC minus FSU/Clem, plus Cal/Stan/USF/SMU to get to 16+ND. When the B12's next tv deal is up, try to get Cinci and WVU. Then add Tulane and UConn to get to 20. The ACCN would then be offered in 8 of the 10 largest states by population (no Illinois #6/Michigan #10) and I don't think the media value will fall below the current levels (~$30MM/yr/school + ACCN will be bigger payout). 

Then, just win. 

Edited by USF_Bullsharks

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,771
  • Days Won:  14

6 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

ACC isn't going to "open up". That GOR is sticking through 2036 any anyone who wants out will be negotiating against it. 

UVA would be the smallest school enrollment-wise in the B1G. Superior academics though, so I think they do "fit" but outside of Oregon, the B1G's mission has been large enrollments/fanbases. I think UVA is a fringe school for both the B1G and SEC based on brand, but that Virginia Tech actually fits the "mold" better for both conferences. EDIT: B1G carries DC market with Maryland already, so I don't think either school is a must-have for them. Richmond and VaBeach aren't exactly destination cities either. 

Give me ACC minus FSU/Clem, plus Cal/Stan/USF/SMU to get to 16+ND. When the B12's next tv deal is up, try to get Cinci and WVU. Then add Tulane and UConn to get to 20. The ACCN would then be offered in 8 of the 10 largest states by population (no Illinois #6/Michigan #10) and I don't think the media value will fall below the current levels (~$30MM/yr/school + ACCN will be bigger payout). 

Then, just win. 

Yup. My comments above assumed the GOR is no longer a thing. But I agree that the GOR is strong and while a limited number of schools might be able to legally and financially settle with the ACC for an exit, the GOR will keep the remainder of the ACC intact.

Edited by TallyBull