• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Jtrue, that's precisely why I despise them

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

what big boys have we hung with? a game or two here and there with a power program in a rebuilding year doesn't mean  you hang with anyone for a season.

where do you see us fitting in the big 12? I see us behind Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas state, west virginia, oklahoma state, and tcu on a regular basis. probably texas tech and baylor too. 

does that mean we couldn't have a year where we finish in top half? no but on a regulas basis we would be bottom half of the conference. hell we barely cracked top half of big east once or twice. the team that won it 4 of 7 times finished 7-6 last year with a team thought to be in the top 10.

When I think non-competitive, I think of teams that get blown out in every game.  That's never happened to us ... sure, it's happened to us a couple times, against Rutgers, Pitt, on occasion, but how many games have we lost in the closing moments?  I'd say more than we've gotten blown out.  

(done beating my head against the wall now, and waiting to be utterly chastised and proven wrong by Bull94 henceforth)   :D

Not going to even bother responding to him. Acts like we'd be competing in the B12 with BE resources and still a 15 year old program. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

How is it even a question of not wanting to be in a premier conference? I would much rather be a middle of the road team in the Big 12 rather than competing for a championship in a "who cares" league.

Right now we are relegated to be living in the same neighborhood as Central Michigan , Miami of Ohio and Northern Illinois. Really, did anyone care about Central Michigan when Kelly and then Butch Jones were winning championships there? Well, that is besides the players, coaches and University of Cincinnati who couldn't wait to take their coaches.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, Central Mich. was killing it in the MAC for a long time...the unknown dynasty lol.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

I don't think anyone's saying we'd jump right in and immediately be middle of the pack B12 ... THAT would be ludicrous ... but if you're going to try and continue to build a football program, the B12 offers a lot more tools. 

Oh, I think there's one or two folks on here who would jump now, if the opportunity presented itself - with no consideration of competitiveness - just so long as we're out of the AAC. I do however agree that the XII Grande would offer more resources relative to building the team. Unfortunately, we're gonna have to use the tools and materials we have at our disposal. And I think we're gonna be using them for the better part of a decade. 

Yeah, Central Mich. was killing it in the MAC for a long time...the unknown dynasty lol.

Well Yeah...those 8-1 and 7-1 conference records got them to the coveted Motor City Bowl 3 years in a row.  That 12-2 and 8-0 conference record in 2009 got them the GMAC bowl.  

That is what competing for conference championships in a 2nd tier conference gets you.  Yeah I am excited about those type of rewards for the conference championship.  Yeah, yeah.  I know that supposedly that will get us one of the BCS bowl slots.  We'll see. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

I don't think anyone's saying we'd jump right in and immediately be middle of the pack B12 ... THAT would be ludicrous ... but if you're going to try and continue to build a football program, the B12 offers a lot more tools. 

Oh, I think there's one or two folks on here who would jump now, if the opportunity presented itself - with no consideration of competitiveness - just so long as we're out of the AAC. I do however agree that the XII Grande would offer more resources relative to building the team. Unfortunately, we're gonna have to use the tools and materials we have at our disposal. And I think we're gonna be using them for the better part of a decade. 

Think you misinterpreted what I said. I was saying IF we jumped now, I don't think we would be middle of the pack ... I'm one of those who would jump now in a heartbeat if the opportunity was presented to us. I'm honestly puzzled at those who wouldn't.

Kind of curious. If you are content being in the AAC , after we win our first AAC championship do you still think you would be happy in this conference?

Of course i will be happy to win the conference we are in, but anything after that is going to feel like a hollow victory.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

Ok  lets roll this back a little.

The original discussion was about money and going to the Big 12.  The question was do you go for 7.5 million a year.  My answer was no way and my comment was we or anyone joining(excluding ND) would not be competitive.

Define competitive - I would say every year we are not the home coming game for other teams, have at least a chance to finish abouve 500 and in a good conference you can get ranked even if you are not in contention for the conference championship.

The the money difference of ~ 27 million a year there is no way we could acheive those things.  We lose every good coach that came here, our facilities would be sub-par to the rest of the conference(I do love RayJay though), no chance of funding an on campus stadium and with the exception of soccer and maybe softball our teams would be in the bottom half almost every year.

So at 7.5 million a year I would prefer to stay where we are and just be who we are.  Now make that - oh say 15 million a year and at some point in future years a full share then jump and jump now.  I think if you take the old Miami route and play anyone,any time, any where and can win those games plus the conference championship then you will achieve the goals we all want and become a player on the national stage.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Kind of curious. If you are content being in the AAC , after we win our first AAC championship do you still think you would be happy in this conference?

Of course i will be happy to win the conference we are in, but anything after that is going to feel like a hollow victory.

I equate it to losing your viginity to a 400 lb'r rolling through life on a hover round scooter (the AAC). Sure, you finally got it out of the way, but would have been better with a playboy bunny (any conf not named AAC)