Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  855
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Interesting how he doesn’t mention any other options (like the AAC). I guess because he doesn’t like them. 

Dang that's rough. No one wants OSU and WSU LOL. I guess this is certainly making me appreciate our crappy yet stable conference. 

But double rough bc the ACC still wants nothing to do with us either....

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

6 minutes ago, 350_BULL said:

Dang that's rough. No one wants OSU and WSU LOL. I guess this is certainly making me appreciate our crappy yet stable conference. 

ACC was only ever going to consider us if FSU+ leaves the conference. I don't see their potential addition of Stanford and Cal as necessarily harming USF's potential inclusion in the near or long-term. Our key trigger is FSU+ leaving, which is still very much in play. All that said, it could be that these "exploratory" talks are being done more out of courtesy (given Stanford and Cal's academic reputations and the importance of academics to certain ACC schools) than out of serious consideration. Not sure this really makes sense for the ACC at the end of the day. But this way, the ACC's presidents can say, "hey, we considered it, but it's just not going to work." I'd still be shocked if the ACC adds Stanford and Cal. 

Does look grim for OSU and WSU though. Unlikely AAC would cast that far west without Stanford and Cal being a part of the deal.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

ACC was only ever going to consider us if FSU+ leaves the conference. I don't see their potential addition of Stanford and Cal as necessarily harming USF's potential inclusion in the near or long-term. Our key trigger is FSU+ leaving, which is still very much in play. All that said, it could be that these "exploratory" talks are being done more out of courtesy (given Stanford and Cal's academic reputations and the importance of academics to certain ACC schools) than out of serious consideration. Not sure this really makes sense for the ACC at the end of the day. But this way, the ACC's presidents can say, "hey, we considered it, but it's just not going to work." I'd still be shocked if the ACC adds Stanford and Cal. 

Does look grim for OSU and WSU though. Unlikely AAC would cast that far west without Stanford and Cal being a part of the deal.

I can't imagine ACC adding them. I agree. Think it's just a courtesy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I can't imagine ACC adding them. I agree. Think it's just a courtesy.

I believe the ACC has to be careful because any reworking of the TV deal could impact the GOR. I haven't read the actual documents, so I can't be certain, but that could be the out that some of the schools (FSU, Clemson, UNC, VA) could be looking for. I don't think Cal, Stanford, Memphis, USF (or any combination of 2 other schools) would enable the ACC to keep its current per school payout. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,005
  • Days Won:  4

And there's always the possibility that Stanford says, "You know, this whole football thing is getting to be more trouble than it's worth. Call Taylor and have him swing by with his keys to the facility." 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,219

Don't think ACC has any form of pro-rata or expansion clause. I think their idea is that if they agree to bring ESPN some west coast time slots, ESPN may be willing to play ball on renegotiating their TV deal to an extent. ESPN currently has zero inventory for the west coast (late) time slots. Adding those two or four west coast schools will allow for a minimum of 1-2 games per week that can be shown on ESPN affiliate channels in the late time slots. If PAC4 is relevant, PACC after dark could be good enough to allow for expansion. What do you do with the PAC-12 Network though?  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

Just a note -- the GOR does not get re-opened just because the ACC wants to re-open the ESPN deal when adding PAC-4 teams.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Days Won:  10

31 minutes ago, 350_BULL said:

The AAC is really not that stable. We just lost Cincy ,UCF, and Houston. And Uconn leaving the conference was not that long ago.

The replacements have ranged from bad to meh ( Rice, Charlotte, North Texas,...)

No doubt Memphis and SMU are currently looking for a way out. We  probably are as well. So the AAC is anything but stable right now.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  855

1 minute ago, belgianbull said:

The AAC is really not that stable. We just lost Cincy ,UCF, and Houston. And Uconn leaving the conference was not that long ago.

The replacements have ranged from bad to meh ( Rice, Charlotte, North Texas,...)

No doubt Memphis and SMU are currently looking for a way out. We  probably are as well. So the AAC is anything but stable right now.

This Is Fine GIF

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

3 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Agreed. You want stable? Look at the MAC. Ne'er a peep from those guys ever about anything.