Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

This is from 2011, but Rutgers had a clear lead on the NY market...

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCT

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

New York City TV Market....

I would guess that would include NJ also...only one team from NY. Syracuse ... 6th on the list...0.7% .and  Rutgers....600,000 fans..3% of population not spectacular.

How does The USF i-4 corridor compare???  

Anyone out there have numbers???

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

The only thing Rutgers was missing prior to building their football program was a decent football program. All the other important things were in place The most important of which were the media market and academics. The only thing they were missing was the commitment to the football team. They made that commitment when they paid Schiano (he was the highest paid public employee in the state of NJ) and gave him the tools he needed. Once he was able to bring Rutgers football to respectability the University had all the requirements in place to move into a premier conference. Make no mistake, though, winning was the final piece in the puzzle, not the starting point.

This, also ALOT of the reason WVU gets a ton of NJ students as the academic requirements and cost of Rutgers is outrageous.  It is cheaper for a NJian to pay for room and board with out of state tuition to go to WVU then it is to go to Rutgers. 

That didn't sound right and sure enough, its not. Its probably academic req more than cost if they choosing WVU over Rutgers.

Non-resident tuition at WVU $13,980 Add a few hundred to a couple thousand for fees depending on the program and $4900-6500 for a dorm room and another $3000-3500 for meals.  That could be a couple thousand more than Rutgers, depending on the program, dorm and meal plan.

Resident tuition at Rutgers, commuter, $13,073 including fees. Add $11,500 for room and board.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,137
  • Days Won:  1

USF and UCF should offer to take ZERO TV revenue for 3 years in order to get into B12. None. Prove it on the field for 3-5 years and then gradually earn an equal share. It's not that much less than the 2M USF is getting in the AAC and will be made up for in time.

What a brilliant idea. In fact you go first go into work tomorrow give up your salary (tv revenue) and go to a better company but work for free. Nothing screams you are worth something like giving away all your value. And yes we have value

If I had to work for free for a while to go from a 50K a year job (the AAC) to a 1 million a year job (the Big 12) then I would do it. Anything to get your foot in the door. You beg, borrow, steal, cajole, network, and find a way in. Any way.

Except it isn't necessary. Offering that doesn't help it only makes you look weaker than you are.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

https://www.facebook.com/cfbplayoff?group_id=0

Apparently the big boys are proceeding with the new playoff plan and they are looking for feedback on Facebook about a new logo.

Wonder if the leftovers will be able to redesign the ****** BCS Championship game logo once the biggin's leave us behind?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

What ??  I am really trying to figure out what you are saying here but it just went over my head like a 747.  Are you trying to say Fox would need to add $100 million a year for any two new teams ?  If that is what you are saying there isn't ANY two teams that could move that needle to there.  Aslo are you saying that the annual Sugar Bowl money and BCS money(not guarenteed) is 90 million a year ? 

You completly lost me on the 32 mil,25 mil champioship game.

Can you expain your post for us simple minded USF grads.

Right now here is breakdown with 10 teams,

ESPN and Fox pay $200 million a year to Big 12 for the 10 teams $20 mil each for Tier 1 & 2 rights.

The schools control their own Tier 3 which is breaking down from approximately $5-$15 million a year for just Tier 3 TV  and other parts are additional (Radio, Marketing and such)

Bowl money that is for Sugar Bowl (the new extra big game) and the BCS money (new way of paying) is guaranteed to pay the Big 12 conference approximately $92 million a year (~9mil a school per year)

Note:  This does not count other bowl game money sharing, and NCAA tourney (Bball) sharing

Thus for a school like WVU whose Tier 3 (total package tv, radio, marketing) will be signed soon for approximately $11 mil a season will get a revenue of guaranteed money of ~$40 mil a year ($20+$9+$11) and not including a few more million based on other bowl games.

Now the way I understand it in order to add teams value must be added and thus more money per team must be made.

Therefore with a conference game and new teams to Tier 1&2 contracts Fox (and/or ESPN) must add some money. ($25 million per year is thought) because

Tier 1&2 - $25 mil

Sugar bowl and BCS bowl game is still guaranteed $92 mil but divided by 12 teams meaning each team gets $7.6 mil

And Tier 3 remains the same (WVU $11 mil)

Therefore the new amount would be $43.6 million dollars to WVU (an extra $3.6 mil per year)

Therefore Fox (and/or ESPN) would need to poney up $100 mil a year to pay the existing 10 teams $5mil ($50 mil) more each and then the 2 additional teams (USF/UCF) $50mil ($25 mil each)

*** That is why I posed the question if you were Doug or Judy would you take less - say $7.5 mil for Tier 1&2 TV instead of $20 mil if Fox only offered $65 mil a year extra***

Got ya - I think I have looked at it a different way.  My first question is how much more value needs to be added to get at the same level the teams are at now for Tier 1 & 2(3 is what ever each school gets and really has no impact on the calculation).

At this point they are paying ~292 million and for 12 teams to maintain the 29.2 mil per team you would need ~350 million.

So that means you need an extra 58 mil to get back to 29.2 mil per team

Your question works under the offer assumption of 65 mil more from Fox(I assume you are including the additional revenue from a conference championship) which would add about 7 mil total or less then 500k per team which I don't think gets anyone to excited.

So my answer is in part a question.  How much does it take to get the Big12 conference teams interested/excited ?

So just for discussion I will say 3 million per team per year.  So the noobs get hit with 23 million a year less and that would leave them at 17.7 mil per year and I would say go for it.  At some point revenue sharing should change but something similar to the way WV did it and doesn't have to start at 17.7 but has to be at least that by the second year. 

My other answer is a strong and clear no.  At 7.5 mil per team you could not even be competitive.  No way to keep coaches, facilities or anything else up to the level needed to compete in the Big 12.  The noobs would be the laughing stock of the conference

I for one would rather stay in the new AAC, collect some of the 90 mil exit fee money and play competitive football then be a joke in the Big 12.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

What ??  I am really trying to figure out what you are saying here but it just went over my head like a 747.  Are you trying to say Fox would need to add $100 million a year for any two new teams ?  If that is what you are saying there isn't ANY two teams that could move that needle to there.  Aslo are you saying that the annual Sugar Bowl money and BCS money(not guarenteed) is 90 million a year ? 

You completly lost me on the 32 mil,25 mil champioship game.

Can you expain your post for us simple minded USF grads.

Right now here is breakdown with 10 teams,

ESPN and Fox pay $200 million a year to Big 12 for the 10 teams $20 mil each for Tier 1 & 2 rights.

The schools control their own Tier 3 which is breaking down from approximately $5-$15 million a year for just Tier 3 TV  and other parts are additional (Radio, Marketing and such)

Bowl money that is for Sugar Bowl (the new extra big game) and the BCS money (new way of paying) is guaranteed to pay the Big 12 conference approximately $92 million a year (~9mil a school per year)

Note:  This does not count other bowl game money sharing, and NCAA tourney (Bball) sharing

Thus for a school like WVU whose Tier 3 (total package tv, radio, marketing) will be signed soon for approximately $11 mil a season will get a revenue of guaranteed money of ~$40 mil a year ($20+$9+$11) and not including a few more million based on other bowl games.

Now the way I understand it in order to add teams value must be added and thus more money per team must be made.

Therefore with a conference game and new teams to Tier 1&2 contracts Fox (and/or ESPN) must add some money. ($25 million per year is thought) because

Tier 1&2 - $25 mil

Sugar bowl and BCS bowl game is still guaranteed $92 mil but divided by 12 teams meaning each team gets $7.6 mil

And Tier 3 remains the same (WVU $11 mil)

Therefore the new amount would be $43.6 million dollars to WVU (an extra $3.6 mil per year)

Therefore Fox (and/or ESPN) would need to poney up $100 mil a year to pay the existing 10 teams $5mil ($50 mil) more each and then the 2 additional teams (USF/UCF) $50mil ($25 mil each)

*** That is why I posed the question if you were Doug or Judy would you take less - say $7.5 mil for Tier 1&2 TV instead of $20 mil if Fox only offered $65 mil a year extra***

Got ya - I think I have looked at it a different way.  My first question is how much more value needs to be added to get at the same level the teams are at now for Tier 1 & 2(3 is what ever each school gets and really has no impact on the calculation).

At this point they are paying ~292 million and for 12 teams to maintain the 29.2 mil per team you would need ~350 million.

So that means you need an extra 58 mil to get back to 29.2 mil per team

Your question works under the offer assumption of 65 mil more from Fox(I assume you are including the additional revenue from a conference championship) which would add about 7 mil total or less then 500k per team which I don't think gets anyone to excited.

So my answer is in part a question.  How much does it take to get the Big12 conference teams interested/excited ?

So just for discussion I will say 3 million per team per year.  So the noobs get hit with 23 million a year less and that would leave them at 17.7 mil per year and I would say go for it.  At some point revenue sharing should change but something similar to the way WV did it and doesn't have to start at 17.7 but has to be at least that by the second year. 

My other answer is a strong and clear no.  At 7.5 mil per team you could not even be competitive.  No way to keep coaches, facilities or anything else up to the level needed to compete in the Big 12.  The noobs would be the laughing stock of the conference

I for one would rather stay in the new AAC, collect some of the 90 mil exit fee money and play competitive football then be a joke in the Big 12.

+1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Boring...  So no one can find any unsubstantiated rumors???

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Not a chance.  I'd jump conferences right now.  The benefit would far, far, far, outweigh the negatives.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Boring... So no one can find any unsubstantiated rumors???

Those West Virginian tweeters make up some good stories

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Boring...  So no one can find any unsubstantiated rumors???

I just don't get Barron at FSU. He is basically saying tradition > winning. His legacy will be the Noles being surpassed by UCF & USF.

@TuxedoYoda do you really believe that us n UCF are headed to the Big 12? That be crazy

@WesJacksonUSF Fox is willing to pay for the Big 12 to have a presence in Florida

@TuxedoYoda @WesJacksonUSF maybe just USF, then add Cincy to make WVU happier.

@kevinjay55 All about $. Even with UCF/USF, the B12 will still have much larger payout than the ACC. In 20 years, FSU will be marginalized.