Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think if Maryland thinks its going to get out of the ACC for less than 50 mil they are sadly mistaken. As quoted by an ACC official, they had attorneys go over that clause and their attorneys think there is no loop hole, along with the ACC is going to take a hard line on Maryland leaving. The Big East should do the same with Rutgers and require the full 27 months with not settlement for early withdrawal.

Iron clad? Always doubtful. Willing to roll the litigation dice to find out? That's the real question.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I think if Maryland thinks its going to get out of the ACC for less than 50 mil they are sadly mistaken. As quoted by an ACC official, they had attorneys go over that clause and their attorneys think there is no loop hole, along with the ACC is going to take a hard line on Maryland leaving. The Big East should do the same with Rutgers and require the full 27 months with not settlement for early withdrawal.

ACC is in deep trouble! Every single university is in play if a $50 million dollar exit fee did not prevent one of their chartered members from leaving. ACC better not make the same mistakes that the BE made in the early 2000s. They thought that "tradition" and name brand would keep the conference in tact. Boy were they wrong.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Never see the courts for Maryland, it will settle but yeah a fight is coming. Remember the WVU / Big East iron clad statements.

RU really the precedent has been set with Cuse and Pitt its 1 year so $10 mil buyout and another $5mil now so $15 mil and 1 more season in Big East if it lasts that long.

The ACC came out with this outrageous amount to stop hemorrhaging teams. They don't want to be the Big East. I feel that they are going to stand fast on Maryland to try and dissuade other schools. If they reduce the amount to where its attractive to other schools to leave, it defeats the purpose.

As for litigation, it would be easy for the ACC to point out that Maryland's exit at a reduced fee could spur an exodus that kills the conference. That is a real possibility

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

If USF gets an ACC invite, its going to cost what? 10-15 million? Where is that money coming from? From the same donors athletic fund that Leavitt's settlement came? That is a ton of money. And if USF somehow finds all that money, that means they need money left over to get rid of Skip too. This is going to be expensive and what if USF lands in an upgraded Big East with all the top teams exiting and now is stuck with a 50 mil exit fee? This may be jumping out of the pan and into the fire!

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

Who cares. USF needs to get out of BE yesterday. Any price is worth it. The BE brand is now too tainted.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

You can easily get that money from the tv deal you get in the better league.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Make the investment up front so you can reap the rewards in the future.. Only reason not to join is if there is an opportunity to get into the big 12

Guest UCF_Knight_1

http://www.landgrant...to-join-big-ten

And now we have BC over UNC with UVA to B1G. If UVA is out then VT is guaranteed to SEC.

ESPN reported this as well... would effectively make the Big Ten into the Big 16. They also stated that St. Johns and Georgetown has applied to both the ACC and the Big 10.

If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams then it will create a rush of the big boys going to 16 teams this off-season.

The SEC could easily target VTech and NC State... they won't go after FSU or Clemson because they already have a presence in South Carolina and Florida.

The Big 12 would target FSU and Clemson because the Big 12 wants to have parody with the SEC which is its biggest competition.

The PAC could target either the Big East for Boise State, could go after BYU to bring them in, or they could take another run at the B12 and Texas/OU. The PAC is the real wild card in all of this because they can raid the Big East now, and the Big 12.

IF the ACC is gonna need to replace 4 football schools then its obvious that they would take USF, Louisville, Natti, and UConn... if they need 6 schools then they will likely take USF, Louisville, Natti, UConn, and either Temple or UCF.

Exciting times are ahead.

Wouldn't the ACC be replacing 5 teams?

Maryland + 4

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Never see the courts for Maryland, it will settle but yeah a fight is coming. Remember the WVU / Big East iron clad statements.

RU really the precedent has been set with Cuse and Pitt its 1 year so $10 mil buyout and another $5mil now so $15 mil and 1 more season in Big East if it lasts that long.

The ACC came out with this outrageous amount to stop hemorrhaging teams. They don't want to be the Big East. I feel that they are going to stand fast on Maryland to try and dissuade other schools. If they reduce the amount to where its attractive to other schools to leave, it defeats the purpose.

As for litigation, it would be easy for the ACC to point out that Maryland's exit at a reduced fee could spur an exodus that kills the conference. That is a real possibility

They all might leave before this ever gets to litigation. FSU and Maryland both have a case since they voted against the rate increase. If FSU, Maryland, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia all leave, who is there left to really fight it? What if VT and NC State also leave?

I think the likeliest scenario is that the B1G, SEC, Big XII, and PAC-12 expand. Whatever is left in the ACC and Big East merge under a new name with a new TV contract.

It's a real shame. I liked it before all this conference musical chairs garbage. Ever since A&M bailed, it's become a mess.

• Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,778

I'm thinking a lot of the movement out of the ACc will depend on what Maryland ends up paying of the 50 million

I think everyone is waiting on that. If they have to pay even a large fraction of it I think they all stay put.

They will probably just take 1 big east team, wait a year to see how the litigation has gone an then go from there.

Edited by Gismo