Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,176
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Going to Colorado or Arizona isn't going to take that much more time than the western and northern fringes of the AAC since we're already in the southeastern most state.

But when you start doing a different time zone every week (or 2 or 3 hour change) will wear on you. Even though UConn from FL is a 2.5 hour flight it isn't the same thing as flying 3 hours to a Mountain Time zone game. I don't believe college teams fly out 2 or 3 days before a game to adjust. They fly out the day before, play, and get on a plane to come back. 

2 hours ago, GoBulls84 said:

I just want off the wild ride. Fast forward to the end and let me know where it all ends up

Not until we reach 3,000 pages.

22 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Would you like me to copy and paste my response or did you get to it?

Don't really have time to engage. I'm on here waiting for the floor to dry so I can do laundry. My life is much different than it was 6 months ago. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  4,195
  • Days Won:  5

With PNW teams going to the BIG as is reported, what of FSU's attempt to leave the ACC?  It's down to the SEC as the only option for them.  Does that make it less likely to happen?   

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,593
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, Cat941 said:

With PNW teams going to the BIG as is reported, what of FSU's attempt to leave the ACC?  It's down to the SEC as the only option for them.  Does that make it less likely to happen?   

They can still go to the B1G... in fact, that might be more likely. 18 is a strange number - 20 is better for scheduling purposes.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

15 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

I had that thought too.  If it is shown that FL teams are difficult to work with because contracts aren't binding with the state of FL offering protection after the fact.  

FSU has thrown so much money around while firing former coaches that I believe they have money to buy their way out.  Agreed?

the article above and the paper today says their buyout is $120m plus GOR which if negotiating a buyout could mean close to $500m total. That's insane and if financed could mean they get what they currently get for the next 13 years. essentially they would be no better off financially until the GOR actually expires even if they move conferences.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Why not?  FSU leaves... ACC has an opening.  Are you saying the ACC would hold a grudge?  All it means is any GOR would not apply.

I suspect the same thing will happen in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.

Or, before that happens, the ACC gives in to the inevitable and negotiates with the teams who want out and have a place to go.

Yes their natural inclination is to band together and regionalize. Do I think that they would be spiteful over millions of dollars each? Absolutely not but I also think if we were that distinguishably more valuable we would not still be having these conversations and hanging on every glimmer of hope. 

Now the new GOR (should they go with that handicapping protectionism again) would have the venue clause found it pretty much every contract (probably wasn't as important to the all Texas conference they got it from) but that doesn't mean if there isn't an impactful dollar difference you don't bring up cultural differences and vote ECU as them Florida folk cannot be trusted. 

Yes most people do not like when they believe people screwed them and do not look to do favors for them when they do not have to do so. Call it a grudge if you would like but if someone asks but why not USF the response will be somewhere along the line of " 'cause f'em that's why (but with more bless their hearts and over yonders)".

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  4,195
  • Days Won:  5

40 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

So as I was saying:

You could make a conference work with 12 schools. 6 west 6 east. Just limit the play between the 2 divisions. 

Cal 

Stanford

Oregon State

WSU

SDSU

UNLV

SMU

Memphis

UConn (or Temple)

USF

Tulane

ECU (or whoever)

Your Olympic teams make 1 trip west, and play 2 of the schools, they host 2 of the schools, when they make their trip east. Then everyone meets in the conference tournaments, which each rotate east and west. 

Now that I think of it I can't imagine that Cal and Stanford will be left behind.  Mind-boggling.  Will they go independent first?  Reaching out to ACC as I type?

Edited by Cat941
spelling

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,674
  • Days Won:  255

25 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Do you my answers to those questions or are they rhetorical?

I passed on a huge promotion that would have moved my family to Chicago to stay in NJ because our daughter was the only grandchild of both my and my wife's parents. So not everyone would answer your questions the same.

Sure I would not mind. My questions are in a vacuum and specific to wanting to remain in the little leagues simply because you are comfortable there and fear actual competition and moving up to the Bigs. Maybe Rutgers misses its work life balance or the schools that its kids used to go to but I doubt many are pining for the chance to leave the B1G in order to maybe have an easier time in little leagues.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

Just now, Cat941 said:

Not that I think of it I can't imagine that Cal and Stanford will be left behind.  Mind-boggling.  Will they go independent first?  Reaching out to ACC as I type?

Stanford in particular. Standford has won 26 of 29 Learfield Cups as the nations top athletic department (as a result of their fielding so many sports, it is a flawed measurement). 

I don't know what they do.