Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

I'm thinking a lot of the movement out of the ACc will depend on what Maryland ends up paying of the 50 million

Damned good call.

Funny thing only MD and FSU voted against raising fees from $20m to $50 mil just 2-3 months ago.

It won't stop SEC moves (VaTech and NC St will get help), and 2 schools who don't need money is UVA and UNC to go to B1G but we are talking billions of research dollars are shared in b1g. So that is chump change.

Rutgers struck GOLD today, go back and look at pictures of their stadium 15 years ago, it was nothing till Schiano got there, he might of did more there than Leavitt at uSF.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204

So much here depends on how big everyone wants to get. The B1G going to 16 means that the SEC certainly will and the PAC-12 tends to follow the line of the B1G.

The Big 12 will probably want to move to at least 12, if not beyond that. FSU and Clemson still would probably be the top options. Appears that three members of the ACC will go to the B1G if UVA and another go. Two probably to the SEC. Maybe two to the Big 12. That leaves just seven left in the ACC.

I would think the PAC-12 would be interested in BYU and possibly Boise. Beyond that they could stick with Cali and go for San Diego State and Fresno or stretch out to grab Nevada.

So would the Big 12 go to 16? I think it likely if all the others move. Beyond FSU and Clemson, I could see them taking an interest in Louisville, Cincinnati, and us then maybe Georgia Tech. If they don't, the ACC likely would to try to at least get back to 12. Temple would be a fit geographically. UConn would be obvious. UCF as well. They could really bet the farm with Florida by adding FAU and FIU as well or go in a different direction.

Doesn't look good for the Big East, though I could see it surviving for one reason - the TV contract. Not because of what's negotiated, but because if the remnant of ACC schools feel they can do better they could merge with the shell of the Big East and sign a new deal, leaving the old deal defunct if the ACC is wound down.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Dan Wolken â€@DanWolken

Said this on many radio shows today. ACC needs to make case to ND that if it wants ACC to survive, must go all-in. Otherwise, all bets off

Sound familiar!?!

FSU's choices in order 1. SEC 2. B1G 3. ACC with ND as full member 4. Big 12, now mostly like if VT leaves for SEC is Big12

If Big 12 goes 12 it's probably FSU and UL/Clem

If 14 it's FSU, UL, Clem, Gatech/Miami

If 16 it's FSU, UL, Clem, GaTech, Miami and Duke/Pitt

USF has to get in ACC, which means FSU has to be out. Big 12 won't go to UL/USF as 12 unless some how ACC gets a GOR or ND joins as full member

Edited by jvwvu
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711

Jeff Ermann â€@insidemdsports

Still hearing informed talk that #UNC and #UVA are likely top choices for two more #BigTen spots. May have offers -- can't confirm that yet.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711

If FSU leaves the ACC, that'll remove 2/3 of the TV market in Florida for the ACC. Neither UCF or USF alone could provide that much. All of this expansion is not even around fans in a market, but cable subsribers and the conferences networks. The B1G and SEC want new markets in new states. You will never see FSU, Miami, Ga Tech or Clemson in the SEC, because of this. FSU and Clemson's biggest hopes are for the Big 12, to escape the ACC. If the ACC loses any more to the B1G and/or SEC or Big 12. We could actually see the ACC basically become the Old Big East, with a few new heads at the table. The Florida presense is huge for that ACC and they will want as many sets back on their conference, as possible.

The B1G may take two more ACC schools, the SEC two more ACC schools and the B1G take FSU and Clemson. At that point it'll almost be a given that both UCF and USF are in the mix with the remaining BE schools, joining the remaining ACC schools, maybe even with Georgetown, St. Johns and Nova to accompany Notre Dame to boot. How funny would that be?

Edited by Goldenbuc

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

I think if Maryland thinks its going to get out of the ACC for less than 50 mil they are sadly mistaken. As quoted by an ACC official, they had attorneys go over that clause and their attorneys think there is no loop hole, along with the ACC is going to take a hard line on Maryland leaving. The Big East should do the same with Rutgers and require the full 27 months with not settlement for early withdrawal.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,259

Jeff Ermann â€@insidemdsports

Still hearing informed talk that #UNC and #UVA are likely top choices for two more #BigTen spots. May have offers -- can't confirm that yet.

Hope thats true. We need more shakeups if we are to survive this.

Cannot be banished to CUSA

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

I am sure its in this thread somewhere that USF was reported on Monday by Jeremy Fowler at CBS sports that USF is one of 4 BE schools being targeted by the ACC.

http://wusfnews.wusf...-acc-crosshairs

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/21057778/all-eyes-on-acc-after-maryland-move-to-big-ten-but-all-conferences-are-watching-each-other

The ACC is also in talks with South Florida and Cincinnati, according to the source, and could add "pretty quickly." Factors on the decision include geography and television market viability, on-field performance and academic success.
Edited by slick1ru2

I think if Maryland thinks its going to get out of the ACC for less than 50 mil they are sadly mistaken. As quoted by an ACC official, they had attorneys go over that clause and their attorneys think there is no loop hole, along with the ACC is going to take a hard line on Maryland leaving. The Big East should do the same with Rutgers and require the full 27 months with not settlement for early withdrawal.

Never see the courts for Maryland, it will settle but yeah a fight is coming. Remember the WVU / Big East iron clad statements.

RU really the precedent has been set with Cuse and Pitt its 1 year so $10 mil buyout and another $5mil now so $15 mil and 1 more season in Big East if it lasts that long.