Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

16 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Don’t you live somewhere in the ACC footprint? Not many people are super excited to drive 10 hrs each way multiple times a year, the drive time to TPA remains the same no matter who we play making every game equally drivable from my perspective.

That's a good point about travel. So, would I be more inclined to drive up to NCSU or fly to Lubbock [Texas Tech]? What's the overarching determinant in travel: opponent or cost? And how does USF travel these days? 'bout how many USF fans make road trips? Full Disclosure: all my road trips to ECU, NCSU, UNC, and Charlotte were because they were in NC. The only non-NC road trips were to FSU, Miami & El Paso. Just being honest, it would take some serious motivation to get me to saddle up these days. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

16 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:
45 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Don’t you live somewhere in the ACC footprint? Not many people are super excited to drive 10 hrs each way multiple times a year, the drive time to TPA remains the same no matter who we play making every game equally drivable from my perspective.

That's a good point about travel. So, would I be more inclined to drive up to NCSU or fly to Lubbock [Texas Tech]? What's the overarching determinant in travel: opponent or cost? And how does USF travel these days? 'bout how many USF fans make road trips? Full Disclosure: all my road trips to ECU, NCSU, UNC, and Charlotte were because they were in NC. The only non-NC road trips were to FSU, Miami & El Paso. Just being honest, it would take some serious motivation to get me to saddle up these days. 

I gotta be honest, too.  For me it is the destination.  I've been all over the country for Bulls' road trips (including all but the Toronto bowl games) and had some great trips.  But now, while I might drive for the games in the not-too-distant ACC spots just for the game, I'm not into making a road trip just for the game if the place doesn't interest me.  And there's pretty much no place in the Big 12 map I would want to travel to.  The theater seats in front of the big screen look more enticing to me.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Losing those teams doesn't change the geography, tho... even without a few teams, IMHO the quality of the remnants of the ACC is still better than the Big 12 - but quality is a subjective thing.

Most of the ACC remnants are driveable for fans... only a few of the Big 12 would be possible for "road trips".

To me, I really don't care that much about the difference in quality as it will probably be nominal. It'll be the P2, the p3 and the G5 ..... give me the more familiar teams having grown up here and better road trips.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I gotta be honest, too.  For me it is the destination.  I've been all over the country for Bulls' road trips (including all but the Toronto bowl games) and had some great trips.  But now, while I might drive for the games in the not-too-distant ACC spots just for the game, I'm not into making a road trip just for the game if the place doesn't interest me.  And there's pretty much no place in the Big 12 map I would want to travel to.  The theater seats in front of the big screen look more enticing to me.

So drivable isn’t much of a factor? In the ACC the only appealing locations are Pitt and Boston College. The B12 is also not horribly appealing from a location perspective; from a destination worth traveling to vantage point the only left over three option that stands out would be the pac-12 which lucky for us have airports as well. 

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

Very true. But something to consider is that the amount of travel that we currently have in the AAC ( Tulsa, Rice, UTSA, Memphis, Temple, Nort Texas,...) is about the same as we would have if we joined the Big 12. So in my opinion if the Big 12 offers geography should not hold us back from accepting that invitation. But yes we would prefer ACC.

Not accepting an B12 invite is not an option so is there really a need to keep defending that ....

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Maybe from a geography perspective for some but when what is leaving leaves and is replaced with what is coming there is no way to make that argument from a quality perspective (at least not in football).

Can't argue that but like I just said, the quality perspective isn't that big a deal to me because it will be the P2 and the p3 ...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,290
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So drivable isn’t much of a factor? In the ACC the only appealing locations are Pitt and Boston College. The B12 is also not horribly appealing from a location perspective; from a destination worth traveling to vantage point the only left over three option that stands out would be the pac-12 which lucky for us have airports as well. 

Are you telling me that Waco, Texas and Manhattan are not appealing places to travel to?

Oh wait, that's Manhattan, Kansas, ... ok maybe point taken.

I would love whatever conference USF ends up in to include UNLV.  A road trip to Vegas sounds like exactly what I need right now.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,290
  • Days Won:  10

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Not accepting an B12 invite is not an option so is there really a need to keep defending that ....

Actually there are a lot of people who think that USF dodged a bullet by not having been invited to the Big 12. Other opinions I have seen is that the Big 12 would include to much travel which doesn't square with the fact that the AAC has about the same amount of travel.

So, while I have no doubt USF administration would jump on a Big 12 invite; there are still a considerable amount of people in our fan base that don't want a Big 12 invite.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,238
  • Days Won:  68

3 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Actually there are a lot of people who think that USF dodged a bullet by not having been invited to the Big 12. Other opinions I have seen is that the Big 12 would include to much travel which doesn't square with the fact that the AAC has about the same amount of travel.

So, while I have no doubt USF administration would jump on a Big 12 invite; there are still a considerable amount of people in our fan base that don't want a Big 12 invite.

Name one person that would lobby for us to reject a big 12 invite?   Besides of course the guy below. wizard of oz dorothy GIF

1 minute ago, belgianbull said:

So, I have no doubt USF administration would jump on a Big 12 invite; there are still a considerable amount of peoplein our fan base that don't want a Big 12 invite.

But if we got one, they'd be all in to accept. Pretty sure everyone wants to get invited to a P5 but some have an order of preference and the B12 wouldn't be atop a lot of those lists.