Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,745
  • Days Won:  30

30 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Taggart really didn't win many games against ranked opponents. The consistency and big wins that came while in the Big East, in my opinion ( and I know that's subjective), were far more impressive then anything we did while in the AAC. Beating ranked Notre Dame, FSU, West Virginia, Auburn,... all came while we were in the Big East

Taggart was the luckiest recruiter and salesman in college sports. He started moving WKU up but 3/4 of the next coaches have performed better at WKU. He really hit big on some stars at USF and used it to market himself as a good coach.   He was mediocre at Oregon his successor Cristobal  went back to back ny6 bowls , he failed at FSU miserably only have to have the next guy move the program forward, and he failed at FAU where Lane won with great coaching 27-13 record.  Looking at his career he has only had a winning record at one stop Oregon and USF was his peak due to some exceptional recruiting classes. Thankfully he changed to the gulf coast offense or he would have made it to FSU to bring them down. I love Willy's enthusiasm selling the programs, he can   recruit some big time players, but the reality he loses more games than he wins over time. I think him for starting to move USF forward, but the stats shows he is not a guy that can win consistently anywhere. His  coaching peak was Oregon and USF. Now I would take Willy any day of the week of Jeff Scott any day. To give willy a little more credit he did beat UCF multiple times and didn't have a losing streak against them like Scott and Strong.

image.png.4c5d03947999fa310737a32b15257697.png

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Taggart was the luckiest recruiter and salesman in college sports. He started moving WKU up but 3/4 of the next coaches have performed better at WKU. He really hit big on some stars at USF and used it to market himself as a good coach.   He was mediocre at Oregon his successor Cristobal  went back to back ny6 bowls , he failed at FSU miserably only have to have the next guy move the program forward, and he failed at FAU where Lane won with great coaching 27-13 record.  Looking at his career he has only had a winning record at one stop Oregon and USF was his peak due to some exceptional recruiting classes. Thankfully he changed to the gulf coast offense or he would have made it to FSU to bring them down. I love Willy's enthusiasm selling the programs, he can   recruit some big time players, but the reality he loses more games than he wins over time. I think him for starting to move USF forward, but the stats shows he is not a guy that can win consistently anywhere. His  coaching peak was Oregon and USF. Now I would take Willy any day of the week of Jeff Scott any day. To give willy a little more credit he did beat UCF multiple times and didn't have a losing streak against them like Scott and Strong.

image.png.4c5d03947999fa310737a32b15257697.png

USF was very patient with CWT. Very patient. He was lucky to have Flowers blossom to save his job at USF and then it helped him get the Oregon gig. I’m happy for him that he was able to cash in. Being a HC is a tough job that is not very forgiving if you are not winning 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

5 hours ago, Brad said:

In some ways, but beating your sister (as my coach used to call it) doesn't mean a whole lot.

Wins need to be meaningful.  We're win-starved so we think a win over anyone is GREAT!  

But honestly, a resume with wins over 90% of the AAC would be a laugher to others.  We need 'em.  We should get'em.  But that was also true 5-6 years ago.

Boise State and Utah did pretty good beating 90% of their conference mates... Utah did it well enough to get the call.

6 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

Yes of course lol. WVU who they already rejected due to academics. Don’t think they would need more after they talk both USF & UConn into joining. ACC will be strong but still behind SEC & Big Ten but ahead of the PAC12 to round out the P4

WVU signed a Grant of Rights through 2031.  So they're in the Big 12 until they can afford to buy their way out.

3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

I don’t recall Taggart coaching in the Big East. Maybe the BE were are most consistent years that had some form of sustained success.

You recall correctly -- Taggart was hired on Dec 7 2012 and the Big East Conference was renamed as the Athletic American Conference on July 1, 2013 when the Catholic 7 left to form a new conference and took their name with them.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,336
  • Days Won:  490

12 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Boise State and Utah did pretty good beating 90% of their conference mates... Utah did it well enough to get the call.

Yeah, @Bull Matrix was suggesting it's a good way for us to get off the mat, to get back up again.  I'm only pointing out it would be harder to know we're off the mat if we're now winning but beating subpar teams (it's hard to deny our competition has grown weaker over the last dozen years and fell off a cliff in 2023).  Granted, if we beat down the conference many years in a row it will help us get out. I obviously stand with those who think winning is good.

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Yeah, @Bull Matrix was suggesting it's a good way for us to get off the mat, to get back up again.  I'm only pointing out it would be harder to know we're off the mat if we're now winning but beating subpar teams (it's hard to deny our competition has grown weaker over the last dozen years and fell off a cliff in 2023).  Granted, if we beat down the conference many years in a row it will help us get out. I obviously stand with those who think winning is good.

I might deny that.  It definitely got weaker in 2013 to be sure when the Big East teams almost all bid their goodbyes.

But since 2013, the competition has remained roughly the same.  As teams move up in class, they can recruit better players and pay for better coaches.  To be sure, UTSA in 2023 won't be the same as Houston in 2022... but in a couple of years they could be.  UAB or UNT could match UCF... On average AAC caliber athletes and coaches are better than C-USA caliber athletes and coaches.

The only thing "subpar" about our conference mates is their brand.  UTSA is a lesser brand than Houston, to be sure.  It's like going form Coca Cola to RC Cola.  It's not a good thing ... but the games will be just as competitive and fun.

It's not Big East talented teams

UCF, Houston and Cincinnati are not replaced by similar teams (of course) and we peppered the conference with Rice and Charlotte and UNT...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,284
  • Days Won:  10

19 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I might deny that.  It definitely got weaker in 2013 to be sure when the Big East teams almost all bid their goodbyes.

But since 2013, the competition has remained roughly the same.  As teams move up in class, they can recruit better players and pay for better coaches.  To be sure, UTSA in 2023 won't be the same as Houston in 2022... but in a couple of years they could be.  UAB or UNT could match UCF... On average AAC caliber athletes and coaches are better than C-USA caliber athletes and coaches.

The only thing "subpar" about our conference mates is their brand.  UTSA is a lesser brand than Houston, to be sure.  It's like going form Coca Cola to RC Cola.  It's not a good thing ... but the games will be just as competitive and fun.

You make great points which makes our siltation even more infuriating. We should have had no problems being at least middle of the road in this conference.

We should have a leg up on these teams coming in , and these teams should have no business coming in and being better then us, or let alone surpassing us. Instead of UTSA being the next Houston, or North Texas being the next UCF, we should have no problems being the next Houston, Cincy, or UCF

Edited by belgianbull
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I wish talks of the AAC and our time in it would bring us smiles and satisfaction....

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I wish talks of the AAC and our time in it would bring us smiles and satisfaction....

Hopefully these next few years will make your wish come true