Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Here is a big point that I don’t see too many USF fans talking about. USF is building a great OCS and playing in the AAC. Tampa is a great location with recruiting. New playoff format starts which should make for an easier path for USF as long as the AAC is one of the top 6 rated conferences. AAC level of competition gives USF a better chance to get off the mat and back up to where we should always be. I honestly can’t see USF getting up off the mat as fast in a power conference right now. I would prefer to see USF start dominating the AAC and being one of the regulars in the playoff conversations. That will generate tons of interest & support. So instead of ripping the AAC we should embrace out opportunities to get back on top. Hope that makes some sense. Go Bulls 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,336
  • Days Won:  490

My argument is not ripping the AAC, it's asking all to see clearly (or state otherwise) that any P5 is better for USF than the AAC.  

And we can't decline until we are ready.  We need to be ready.

Grab your ******* stick of gum and let's go!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

Over a five year stretch (05-09), the Big East had 5 (five!) different teams break into the top 10 (Louisville, West Virginia, USF, Cincy and Futgers), with 4 (all but Futgers) making it into the top 5, at various points. Regardless, the Big East was perceived as the weakest of the BCS conferences. Over that span, our conference fairly regularly outperformed the ACC in football, but that did nothing to change that perception because that was the perception that the media (see: ESPN) pushed as they attempted to undercut the media value of the conference

Bingo! That is how I see things repeating  themselves with the new big 12. The are kind of caught in a pickle right now as they can’t seem to get other power schools to join so they are taking a hit with perceptions due to losing teams & replacing G5 schools. To me I would prefer that the whole P5 go away to help fix college football. Hopefully the new playoff format helps.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,119
  • Days Won:  14

10 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

Over a five year stretch (05-09), the Big East had 5 (five!) different teams break into the top 10 (Louisville, West Virginia, USF, Cincy and Futgers), with 4 (all but Futgers) making it into the top 5, at various points. Regardless, the Big East was perceived as the weakest of the BCS conferences. Over that span, our conference fairly regularly outperformed the ACC in football, but that did nothing to change that perception because that was the perception that the media (see: ESPN) pushed as they attempted to undercut the media value of the conference

I think the Big East also having a lot of parity and only 8 teams also contributed to the perception.  The upper and middle of the pack Big East teams used to beat up on each other, and there was always a key conference upset that knocked the front-runner down a notch.  Another thing was that many times 1/2 of the Big East matchups were played and completed before noon on Saturday (4 teams had already played weeknight games)...so we didn't get a lot of Saturday coverage compared to the other conferences.

1 minute ago, Bull Matrix said:

To me I would prefer that the whole P5 go away to help fix college football. Hopefully the new playoff format helps.

I think it's heading in that direction - the P2.

The rest play conference football like the pre-TV (ESPN) days.

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

My argument is not ripping the AAC, it's asking all to see clearly (or state otherwise) that any P5 is better for USF than the AAC.  

And we can't decline until we are ready.  We need to be ready.

Grab your ******* stick of gum and let's go!

Exactly!! Right now I’m excited about USF being in the AAC as I know it gives us a better opportunity to get back up from being knocked down if that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Bull Matrix said:

Right now I’m excited about USF being in the AAC as I know it gives us a better opportunity to get back up from being knocked down if that makes sense. 

In some ways, but beating your sister (as my coach used to call it) doesn't mean a whole lot.

Wins need to be meaningful.  We're win-starved so we think a win over anyone is GREAT!  

But honestly, a resume with wins over 90% of the AAC would be a laugher to others.  We need 'em.  We should get'em.  But that was also true 5-6 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think it's heading in that direction - the P2.

The rest play conference football like the pre-TV (ESPN) days.

Good news is that P2 can’t take all of the top 6 rated conference champion spots starting in 2024. However we may see that P2 break apart and form multiple conferences to be able to take those 6 top conference spots lol

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,284
  • Days Won:  10

24 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Bingo! That is how I see things repeating  themselves with the new big 12. The are kind of caught in a pickle right now as they can’t seem to get other power schools to join so they are taking a hit with perceptions due to losing teams & replacing G5 schools. To me I would prefer that the whole P5 go away to help fix college football. Hopefully the new playoff format helps.

Even so, but even though the Big 12 might not be able to pick up other Power 5 teams it will add to or replace teams with the best non power 5 teams. Memphis, Boise State, possibly SMU, Tulane all would jump on a Big 12 invite. This would leave us in an even more watered down AAC. We have to hope when the Big 12 picks up more AAC teams that we are one of them.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,251
  • Days Won:  37

43 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Yes of course lol. WVU who they already rejected due to academics. Don’t think they would need more after they talk both USF & UConn into joining. ACC will be strong but still behind SEC & Big Ten but ahead of the PAC12 to round out the P4

I'm not sure many people around the country would view WVU as a "power program".

ND would be the only power program the ACC could land and that's not happening.