Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Doubling your athletic revenue trumps a lot of prestige.

you think a measly $10M a year means anything to a school with a $2.4B budget??

What is the athletic budget?

About $70M.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/9944045/

Yeah, I think $10M is pretty darn significant.

it was actually just over $7M difference in payouts.

sorry but a university with a $2.4B budget isn't concerned with a $7M difference in athletic revenue.

Sorry, but a university with any size budget is VERY concerned about balancing the books in athletics.  Look around at all the conference movement.  You really think schools are moving to a "better fit"?  This is all about the money, and $10M (your original figure) is really, really significant.

as I said it was closer to $7M. the schools that are moving from a big 5 to another big 5 tend to be at the lower end of the conference or they  have athletic departments that are hemmoraging money.Nebraska left becuase of the power of texas(and ou). colorado left because they are broke. same with maryland.  that's not the case with UNC. they are at the top of the ACC. they are not going to leave the ACC for a measly $7M. it's wishful thinking.

As I recall the numbers, it is significantly more than a $7 mil difference.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Doubling your athletic revenue trumps a lot of prestige.

you think a measly $10M a year means anything to a school with a $2.4B budget??

What is the athletic budget?

About $70M.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/9944045/

Yeah, I think $10M is pretty darn significant.

it was actually just over $7M difference in payouts.

sorry but a university with a $2.4B budget isn't concerned with a $7M difference in athletic revenue.

Sorry, but a university with any size budget is VERY concerned about balancing the books in athletics.  Look around at all the conference movement.  You really think schools are moving to a "better fit"?  This is all about the money, and $10M (your original figure) is really, really significant.

as I said it was closer to $7M. the schools that are moving from a big 5 to another big 5 tend to be at the lower end of the conference or they  have athletic departments that are hemmoraging money.Nebraska left becuase of the power of texas(and ou). colorado left because they are broke. same with maryland.  that's not the case with UNC. they are at the top of the ACC. they are not going to leave the ACC for a measly $7M. it's wishful thinking.

As I recall the numbers, it is significantly more than a $7 mil difference.

acc payout $16.9M

big ten payout $24.6M

UNC is not going from big dog in acc to an also ran in big ten.

they will not give up basketball tradition on tobacco road to play indiana in football for a few dollars.

BTW big ten network returned $700k less per team this year (nearly 10% drop) than last year. the bllom is off that rose. cable companies are fed up with spending tons on subscriber fees. expect revenue from their network to continue to drop.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

@MHver3: Micro-expansion-update: Big still saying no to FSU but FSU holding into hope that UNC turning down BiG will open door for them.

@MHver3: Would Miami and Clemson be good consolation prizes? I can make the argument that they are.

@MHver3: From a brand standpoint Miami is head and shoulders above FSU...even now

@MHver3: If FSU or UNC bolt then the Big12/ACC alliance quickly becomes the Big12/ACC poachfest.

@theDudeofWV: Quick update. Big Ten very close to a consensus with Michigan on board now. Only issue is how to keep UM & OSU in same pod.

I've read a few places that UNC turned down the B1G.  If that is really true, than UNC is expecting to get into the SEC or they are really stupid.  Or both.  I think I'd rater go to the B1G, more realistic chance at competing and more prestigious and more class (well, excluding Rutgers).

Agree completely.

Even though the state of NC is changing, there are still an awful lot of people who can never forgive "The War of Northern Aggression." Perhaps UNC just couldn't see themselves hoooking up with a bunch of Yankees...

^^ This...

UNC is not going to the Big Yankee Conference.

If anything they are holding out hope that the SEC will shoot them an invite.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

@MHver3: Micro-expansion-update: Big still saying no to FSU but FSU holding into hope that UNC turning down BiG will open door for them.

@MHver3: Would Miami and Clemson be good consolation prizes? I can make the argument that they are.

@MHver3: From a brand standpoint Miami is head and shoulders above FSU...even now

@MHver3: If FSU or UNC bolt then the Big12/ACC alliance quickly becomes the Big12/ACC poachfest.

@theDudeofWV: Quick update. Big Ten very close to a consensus with Michigan on board now. Only issue is how to keep UM & OSU in same pod.

I've read a few places that UNC turned down the B1G.  If that is really true, than UNC is expecting to get into the SEC or they are really stupid.  Or both.  I think I'd rater go to the B1G, more realistic chance at competing and more prestigious and more class (well, excluding Rutgers).

Agree completely.

Even though the state of NC is changing, there are still an awful lot of people who can never forgive "The War of Northern Aggression." Perhaps UNC just couldn't see themselves hoooking up with a bunch of Yankees...

^^ This...

no they're not.

the only reason to move is for access or money. UNC has both. they'd rather control the acc as top dog than be an also ran in sec anyday.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Agree completely.

^^ This...

no they're not.

the only reason to move is for access or money. UNC has both. they'd rather control the acc as top dog than be an also ran in sec anyday.

The problem with your analysis is that the ACC is not stable.

IMO, there will only be 4 power leagues, and it's still an open question whether the B12 or the ACC is #4. The other gets relegated to also-ran status

Texas and Oklahoma WILL be in any eventual power league. The question is whether they jump to P12/SEC/B1G/Indie or whether they stay in the B12. If they stay, and ACC gets raided again, ACC gets relegated.

If TX and OK jump, then the B12 remainders will get relegated, and the ACC makes it into the Big Four.

It's up to these two, really, whether UNC stays or goes.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,790
  • Days Won:  8

I've read a few places that UNC turned down the B1G. If that is really true, than UNC is expecting to get into the SEC or they are really stupid. Or both. I think I'd rater go to the B1G, more realistic chance at competing and more prestigious and more class (well, excluding Rutgers).

Agree completely.

^^ This...

no they're not.

IMO, there will only be 4 power leagues, and it's still an open question whether the B12 or the ACC is #4. The other gets relegated to also-ran status

Texas and Oklahoma WILL be in any eventual power league. The question is whether they jump to P12/SEC/B1G/Indie or whether they stay in the B12. If they stay, and ACC gets raided again, ACC gets relegated.

If TX and OK jump, then the B12 remainders will get relegated, and the ACC makes it into the Big Four.

THIS

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I've read a few places that UNC turned down the B1G. If that is really true, than UNC is expecting to get into the SEC or they are really stupid. Or both. I think I'd rater go to the B1G, more realistic chance at competing and more prestigious and more class (well, excluding Rutgers).

Agree completely.

^^ This...

no they're not.

THIS

This.  The lifeboat for UNC has come by.  They may have missed it if the ACC is the one dismantled.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

LOL UNC is a national brand and there will be no "missing the life boat" for them. They can afford to weigh their options.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Stop quoting each other

-every phone user

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  2

Lol +1