Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,010
  • Days Won:  1

As a side note, if FSU has to stay in the ACC for the next 13 years and remains average; if USF starts winning and gets into the B12 or ACC (next 3-5 years) and is competitive over the remaining 8-10 years of the ACC’s GoR (increasing the fan base), USF would be more appealing (adding in the AAU status) to any conference over FSU. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  270
  • Days Won:  1

I have a sneaking suspicion that it has all been figured out. I feel very confident. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

8 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

And breaking a deal with ESPN would haunt the ACC. There's really only 2 major players for being primary partners in football media rights. If ACC sours their relationship with ESPN, that would give Fox all the leverage next time to get their own money saving deal with the ACC since ESPN will sit it out. Unless the ACC wants to be on apple or Amazon. I just can't see what ESPN would gain from beefing up the money or shortening the current length. 

I wouldn't discount ESPN agreeing to shorten the length with devious intentions. The best way to cut future payouts would be to eliminate one of the conferences you're paying out to. We saw it with the Big East. They couldn't get the Big East to agree to the deal they wanted, and instead of risking the Big East getting a bigger contract elsewhere, they sabotaged the conference. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if ESPN agreed to shorten the deal for a few more millions in the short term, with the intention of pushing a handful of programs to the SEC/Big 12 and letting the others either go to B1G or flounder with the G_ conferences. Then instead of paying 14 teams $30 million or whatever a year, they're paying maybe 4 of those teams $50 million a year and letting the rest figure it out somewhere else (or take a smaller payday in a G_ conference).

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I wouldn't discount ESPN agreeing to shorten the length with devious intentions. The best way to cut future payouts would be to eliminate one of the conferences you're paying out to. We saw it with the Big East. They couldn't get the Big East to agree to the deal they wanted, and instead of risking the Big East getting a bigger contract elsewhere, they sabotaged the conference. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if ESPN agreed to shorten the deal for a few more millions in the short term, with the intention of pushing a handful of programs to the SEC/Big 12 and letting the others either go to B1G or flounder with the G_ conferences. Then instead of paying 14 teams $30 million or whatever a year, they're paying maybe 4 of those teams $50 million a year and letting the rest figure it out somewhere else (or take a smaller payday in a G_ conference).

Good point. I agree with the core message, if ESPN does something it'll be purely for their own benefit and not out of the goodness of their hearts lol they'll cut a deal if the long term math has them winning by dumping some bottom feeders.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Good point. I agree with the core message, if ESPN does something it'll be purely for their own benefit and not out of the goodness of their hearts lol they'll cut a deal if the long term math has them winning by dumping some bottom feeders.

Exactly.

I know many like to dump on Judy and claim that she's the reason for the Big East's downfall, but realistically, the conference had strong on-field performance (and arguably the strongest basketball conference in the country) and was set to go to open market after rejecting a billion dollar TV deal from ESPN (of which Judy was not the only supporter). Rumors were that NBC was ready to put in a big offer and ESPN couldn't have that.

ESPN are a bunch of snakes and always have been. If the ACC offer comes, we obviously take it, but I'd just assume it will be a temporary measure until ESPN can fully undercut the ACC and reduce their payouts.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

31 minutes ago, michibull said:

I have been thinking that for a while, but I actually feel opposite now. IF the PAC 12 stays together, I think the B12 stays together and expands by 2 teams for stability. Those 2 will hold the west down. B10 and SEC will only expand by 2 teams each and they will stay put (adding more won’t make them more money). The left overs of the ACC will add the best of the rest to create the weakest P5 conference. IF the PAC12 dissolves I could see a P3 develop with the B12 and PAC12 merging to solidify the west with the B10 and SEC taking Midwest and South to solidify the east coast. All the rest will be G6 schools. I think we absolutely need the PAC12 to stay together and hopefully the B12 or and good version of ACC come calling. I actually think the B12 is in a more stable position right now. 

The Big12 is more stable because it doesn’t have anyone the SEC and BigTen would want. The huge stumbling block is the ACC GOR. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

32 minutes ago, ahoyboy said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that it has all been figured out. I feel very confident. 

This is probably one of the best hints…

30 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

Yup! Tons of things going on behind the scenes. 

6 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

The Big12 is more stable because it doesn’t have anyone the SEC and BigTen would want. The huge stumbling block is the ACC GOR. 

There were rumors a while ago that Kansas wanted out. Not sure if Kansas still wants out but it makes since that the big 12 is aiming at strengthening their hoops line up with Houston, Cincy, and now Gonzaga & Uconn. I wonder how long the football schools will allow the basketball schools dictate the big 12. Seems like the old big east to me