Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,010
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

It shoulda been a stadium...

We're way off topic...but.

It was clear from the moment we walked into RJS that RJS had to be a temporary home if we were to be at all serious about football.  Yes, I know Leavitt liked playing there, he said it helped him recruit.  He wanted Spring Games there.  But as a fan, alumnus and donor it sickened me being in that place  - it was not home.  Pirate ship, colors, couldn't paint endzones, everything about it. Remember the ordeal to put an In Appreciation 8 x 10 plaque in the stadium?

I made the case to a couple of administrators back then in season one of RJS football (they thought I was nuts).  I was told it would be at least ten years. So that was what, 1999 (first year in RJS)?  By 2009 we were beginning our descent.

But we did build administration/baseball/softball/soccer etc.  Football, the cash cow, remained at RJS. 

We had a team that got great national press EVERY GAME - showing the trailer and where we had come from (using car lights to illuminate the "practice field") how the program that had been built, the upsets, the season of practice and preparation, Auburn, the NFL picks, etc.. 

Then with no significant gain in football investment, the Big East crumbles and we fire Leavitt, fracture a fan base and erase our exciting past.  Sponsors/Donors flee.  The iron was hot (or very warm) and we completely whiffed.  

Yes, I am trying to put it behind me.  The opportunity was there...it was STARING US IN THE FACE but USF mis-stepped to put it lightly.  I'm hopeful in believing we have people in the seats NOW that realize what we MUST do.

HOF post here!! Everything you said was spot on. It’s a shame, but it is what it is. I also agree with @Bull Matrix on conference expansion. Over the course of CFB, conferences come and go and change periodically. I think we are late to the game, but it’s not over yet and we are getting into a very opportunistic spot. If we play our cards right, we are a large university, outstanding academics and status, large media market, solid athletics facilities (will be better with OCS) and potential for huge amounts of money/investment; which way more than what most P5 also-rans have. Yes, we need to start winning NOW, but we are also in a conference that we can do that; but we are currently dependent on VPMK, which scares me…..

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,068
  • Days Won:  46

3 minutes ago, michibull said:

HOF post here!! Everything you said was spot on. It’s a shame, but it is what it is. I also agree with @Bull Matrix on conference expansion. Over the course of CFB, conferences come and go and change periodically. I think we are late to the game, but it’s not over yet and we are getting into a very opportunistic spot. If we play our cards right, we are a large university, outstanding academics and status, large media market, solid athletics facilities (will be better with OCS) and potential for huge amounts of money/investment; which way more than what most P5 also-rans have. Yes, we need to start winning NOW, but we are also in a conference that we can do that; but we are currently dependent on VPMK, which scares me…..

Yes definitely!  Great points on the potential opportunities that will eventually show up.  This time it seems USF is more focused. I believe the tailspin came after Leavitt was fired and then the big east fell apart. I would be shocked if USF would of fired Leavitt if they knew we were heading to the AAC. The coach USF burned their bridge with that could of got USF out of the AAC was Leavitt. Ok since those days are long gone it is now time to keep moving in a better direction. There last few years I can tell that USF is finally getting back on track to building the program again. We will know 6/13 regarding the OCS and hopefully we all can start planning to celebrate the ground breaking. Looking at the schedule I can see USF getting 6 wins at least. I have USF beating FAMU, Rice, Navy, FAU, Temple, & Charlotte this season. Maybe winning the Memphis game too. Things are finally looking up for USF

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,665
  • Days Won:  52

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

That shouldn't have been a concern on 07/01/05.

This is fair and the Big East was doing great.  Remember the coaches were always first on the poaching list, BE was winning BCS bowls, and almost made it to the NC with WVU.

No reason to break it up, but ESPN is on a mission to strip mine CFB.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,068
  • Days Won:  46

8 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This is fair and the Big East was doing great.  Remember the coaches were always first on the poaching list, BE was winning BCS bowls, and almost made it to the NC with WVU.

Yes I guess that is my point with all these super conferences. Why are USF fans so down on being in the AAC?? Answer, because of money. I guess that is life. It is all about money lol. To help with all that. Im going to enjoy watching USF compete in the AAC until things change like they usually do.  USF is doing good with things that they can control so I am happy. I actually am looking forward to the new look AAC with Charlotte, UAB, Rice, UTSA, UNT jumping aboard. 

• Downvote 1
  • ???? 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,291
  • Days Won:  490

34 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

I believe the tailspin came after Leavitt was fired and then the big east fell apart.

I can appreciate you wanting to move on and look ahead.  Very healthy.  

But....and this has been well-debated too.  There were too many people involved in things other than making a great program.  USF Football had the best start ever and instead we killed the golden goose.  We weren't victims as some like to plead.  We took ourselves down the wrong road which made us even more vulnerable, magnified the impact of the Big East dying.  And it was very clear - from the personnel in the Athletics Dept I spoke to - they had no idea of what beheading Jim Leavitt would do to the program.  NONE.  They thought getting a slobbery hugger in here would keep us going. 

I get my peace of mind assuming we've learned our lessons on egos, politics and all the BS that brings down the good in things.

• Upvote 3
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

10 minutes ago, Brad said:
44 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

I believe the tailspin came after Leavitt was fired and then the big east fell apart.

I can appreciate you wanting to move on and look ahead.  Very healthy.  

But....and this has been well-debated too.  There were too many people involved in things other than making a great program.  USF Football had the best start ever and instead we killed the golden goose.  We weren't victims as some like to plead.  We took ourselves down the wrong road which made us even more vulnerable, magnified the impact of the Big East dying.  And it was very clear - from the personnel in the Athletics Dept I spoke to - they had no idea of what beheading Jim Leavitt would do to the program.  NONE.  They thought getting a slobbery hugger in here would keep us going. 

I get my peace of mind assuming we've learned our lessons on egos, politics and all the BS that brings down the good in things.

Most bad things in life don't just happen.  They also don't usually happen because of malintent but rather because of neglect or thoughtlessness.

Still, even in hindsight, I can't convince myself that any specific strategic plan was going to result in the level of "success" in USF athletics that some here seem to think is our birthright and manifest destiny.  I have watched and been involved in USF athletics for a loooonnnggg time and I have never seen much to indicate that athletic accomplishment is in our DNA.  We are not alone in that. There are plenty of respected universities in P5 conferences that are not exactly athletics powerhouses.  Maybe this will change for with massive investment and new approaches but I, for one, am not holding my breath.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying, though.  My relationship with the Bulls will always be one of expectancy rather than expectation.

Anyway, Go Bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,462
  • Days Won:  14

Wtf are we even talking about 

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,665
  • Days Won:  52

9 minutes ago, hm101 said:

Practice.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  3,655
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, hm101 said:

Just padding the page numbers at this point.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

I am not sure. I have no doubt Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers,... were always on the lookout to move on to a more stable Power 5 conference. ESPN probably gave it the extra push; but I think it would have happened regardless.

These schools made the right move, and I hope when we get the invite there will be zero hesitation on our part to leave the rest of the AAC in the dust.