Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

So does the B1G dump Maryland and Rutgers? Or will we see all conference payouts performance based?

I think as contracts get renegotiated we will see something like the uneven revenue distribution system. Maybe eventually they will cut the dead weight.

Diamond Sports Group entered Chapter 11 on March 15, looking to trade equity for around $8 billion of debt relief. 

Sinclair paid $10.6 billion in 2019 to acquire 19 erstwhile Fox Sports RSNs, which had deals with 14 MLB clubs ... and margins at the time of around 50%.

Those margins are now well under 20%, given the impacts of cord-cutting and spiraling sports-licensing costs, and Sinclair/Diamond is losing money on a number of individual team deals. It’s leveraging bankruptcy to renegotiate those contracts, with the understanding that it would be very hard for MLB and its teams to replace the lost TV revenue on their own.

myrSSxq859LUrbuGEYUNBE-1200-80.jpg

Sinclair’s regional sports networks division failed to make TV rights payments to five Major League Baseball teams

7 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Fox owns a lot of the B1G network... and the CEO is not a fan of streaming.

GettyImages-1155100129-e1684343331533.jp

For the NFL, streaming isn’t the future. It’s the present. One executive whose business model arguably could end up being stuck in the past had something to say about the...

you do realize he's not a fan of it because it will kill his revenue models. Fact is more and more people are cutting the cord.That will kill fox news and fox sports as far as carriage fees are concerned. Nothing he can do about it. ESPN will generate $8.1B in revenue from it's carriage fees alone this year.

I bet Blockbuster wasn't a fan of streaming either.

1638971779781.png

ESPN was once America's largest cable network.

Edited by Bull94
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

24 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you do realize he's not a fan of it because it will kill his revenue models. Fact is more and more people are cutting the cord.That will kill fox news and fox sports as far as carriage fees are concerned. Nothing he can do about it. ESPN will generate $8.1B in revenue from it's carriage fees alone this year.

1638971779781.png

ESPN was once America's largest cable network.

I remember reading something a few weeks back before the Dominion settlement that Fox News' entire value is tied into their carriage fees and that they make so much off of them that they haven't had to run commercial blocks as a result. As I understand it, once the carriage fee cookie crumbles, Fox News' entire revenue stream dies (though I imagine that's when they'll have to start running commercials and accepting ad revenue).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Days Won:  30

I cut thr cord years ago and don't miss it one bit. There are plenty of ways to get legal streams of the games. There are several sites that host the local channels across the nation and you can watch almost all the college games except if it is on a cable channel.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,058
  • Days Won:  45

11 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I cut thr cord years ago and don't miss it one bit. There are plenty of ways to get legal streams of the games. There are several sites that host the local channels across the nation and you can watch almost all the college games except if it is on a cable channel.

And even for that you still can find some good sports bars that will have the games on.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

47 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Oh I know.

It's also because Fox is currently the only network without a streaming option - which could have a big impact on their revenue in the coming years.  ABC has ESPN+ or Hulu, CBS has Paramount+, NBC has Peacock.

19 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I remember reading something a few weeks back before the Dominion settlement that Fox News' entire value is tied into their carriage fees and that they make so much off of them that they haven't had to run commercial blocks as a result. As I understand it, once the carriage fee cookie crumbles, Fox News' entire revenue stream dies (though I imagine that's when they'll have to start running commercials and accepting ad revenue).

I wouldn't doubt it. It's estimated that espn in 2019 generated $8.6B in carriage fees and $2.3B in advertising.

Once they go streaming they will generate subscriber fees but it won't come anywhere near carriage fees and the cost will increase per user as they will no longer be subsidized by people who don't watch.

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Oh I know.

It's also because Fox is currently the only network without a streaming option - which could have a big impact on their revenue in the coming years.  ABC has ESPN+ or Hulu, CBS has Paramount+, NBC has Peacock.

And everyone is trying to drive membership to their streaming services. NBC just paid $110m for one NFL playoff game so they can stream it on Peacock exclusively.

• Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,058
  • Days Won:  45

There is too much USF/ACC talk going on right now on Twitter to keep up with and we are not even to summer yet lol

F522EDF6-2030-43F2-ADF8-D35F22977C5D.png

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,648
  • Days Won:  52

7 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

The lucky new members get that step up into a top 5 conference

Can we call that new thing the ACC and fill it with mostly ACC schools?  Then I'm down.

• Upvote 1