Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,671
  • Days Won:  25

11 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I don't know if this is getting talked about, but here is what I think might happen. 

8 members (or whatever it takes) vote to dissolve the ACC. 

Top 2-5 get a life line to the Power 2. (FSU and Clemson to SEC, Notre Dame, UNC, and someone else to the Big10). 

The rest reorganize, bring back all the rest of the ACC members, maybe a new conference name, backfill a couple schools (USF, UConn, whoever), then negotiate a new tv deal as a new conference. 

The result is everyone wins. 

The schools that go to the Power 2 win big. 

The remaining schools in the new ACC get more money per year, even after losing a few schools. 

The lucky new members get that step up into a top 5 conference. 

I like the idea, but losing the money teams, I don’t see any scenario where there’s more money. Maybe more for USF, but probably less for the remaining ACC teams

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

37 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I don't know if this is getting talked about, but here is what I think might happen. 

Top 2-5 get a life line to the Power 2. (FSU and Clemson to SEC, Notre Dame, UNC, and someone else to the Big10). 

The rest reorganize, bring back all the rest of the ACC members, maybe a new conference name, backfill a couple schools (USF, UConn, whoever), then negotiate a new tv deal as a new conference. 

The remaining schools in the new ACC get more money per year, even after losing a few schools. 

Also possible: the remaining schools might see the writing on the wall and rather than force the vote to disband, simply revoke the GOR ... that would allow for exit fees to be collected from the 2-5 who depart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I like the idea, but losing the money teams, I don’t see any scenario where there’s more money. Maybe more for USF, but probably less for the remaining ACC teams

You have a point, but the current schools get $17 million per year... if "the new ACC" is able to go to market for their rights, they'll get more... even if they stay withe ESPN, expanding the ACC Network footprint means more cable carriage fees.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

20 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Also possible: the remaining schools might see the writing on the wall and rather than force the vote to disband, simply revoke the GOR ... that would allow for exit fees to be collected from the 2-5 who depart.

Revoke the GOR, and stay the ACC means they still have a valid TV contract to uphold. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Revoke the GOR, and stay the ACC means they still have a valid TV contract to uphold. 

Correct. ESPN has to televise games for members of the "new" ACC.  Now, ESPN has the right to ask the "new" ACC to renegotiate that valid contract based on membership changes.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

Correct. ESPN has to televise games for members of the "new" ACC.  Now, ESPN has the right to ask the "new" ACC to renegotiate that valid contract based on membership changes.

But if ESPN wants to keep the terms, then the members are stuck with their low payout. That is why I suggested dissolving the ACC and starting a new league so that they could start clean without a bad tv contract holding them back. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the ever rising payouts to sports leagues is ending. cable is going the way of the dinosaur. so are the carriage fees.

these leagues will be hard pressed to collect on the promised payouts in the future let alone get an increase. while news and live sports have kept cable relevant longer than they should have, streaming is the way of the future. there are quite a few people paying carriage fees for sports channels that they won't want to pay for streaming.

And in the sports world, executives are beginning to grapple with the rocketing cost of sports rights, with similar implications. ESPN “is going through some obviously challenging times because of what’s happened in linear programming,” Disney CEO Bob Iger told analysts Feb. 8. While Iger said he wants ESPN to stay in business with the NBA (the next major league with rights renewals coming up), he added that the menu of promising sports deals is likely to slim down. “I’ve had long conversations about this with [ESPN chief] Jimmy Pitaro, and we’ve got some decisions that we have to make coming up,” Iger said. “And we’re simply going to have to get more selective.”

While it isn’t all doom and gloom (Moody’s analyst Neil Begley forecast Feb. 10 that linear TV “will take years to melt”), the challenges will only grow starker and the need to control costs more urgent. In the end, streaming, as Iger told analysts as it relates to ESPN, is (as Thanos was fond of saying) “inevitable.”

6rep_page34_illo_w-H-2023.jpg?w=1296

For years, cable channels have used steadily rising carriage fees and advertising growth to offset subscriber decline. Now, times may be changing “as cord-cutting...

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200

Bally Sports has defaulted on payments of 5 MLB teams, yet still is televising games. This led an emergency motion demanding payments.

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

the ever rising payouts to sports leagues is ending. cable is going the way of the dinosaur. so are the carriage fees.

these leagues will be hard pressed to collect on the promised payouts in the future let alone get an increase. while news and live sports have kept cable relevant longer than they should have, streaming is the way of the future. there are quite a few people paying carriage fees for sports channels that they won't want to pay for streaming.

And in the sports world, executives are beginning to grapple with the rocketing cost of sports rights, with similar implications. ESPN “is going through some obviously challenging times because of what’s happened in linear programming,” Disney CEO Bob Iger told analysts Feb. 8. While Iger said he wants ESPN to stay in business with the NBA (the next major league with rights renewals coming up), he added that the menu of promising sports deals is likely to slim down. “I’ve had long conversations about this with [ESPN chief] Jimmy Pitaro, and we’ve got some decisions that we have to make coming up,” Iger said. “And we’re simply going to have to get more selective.”

While it isn’t all doom and gloom (Moody’s analyst Neil Begley forecast Feb. 10 that linear TV “will take years to melt”), the challenges will only grow starker and the need to control costs more urgent. In the end, streaming, as Iger told analysts as it relates to ESPN, is (as Thanos was fond of saying) “inevitable.”

For years, cable channels have used steadily rising carriage fees and advertising growth to offset subscriber decline. Now, times may be changing “as cord-cutting...

Bally Sports has defaulted on payments of 5 MLB teams, yet still is televising games. This led an emergency motion demanding payments.

yeah sports tv contracts seems like a bubble. The payouts now compared to 20 years ago are insane while tv ratings don't seem all that different. Would think we're pretty close to things at least plateauing if not declining.

• Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,058
  • Days Won:  45

8 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Exactly!! So that is why I base conference  strength on branding schools, bowl line up, and market size/location.  Throw out the TV contracts and the top 6 rated conferences are:

1 SEC

2 Big 10

3 ACC

4 PAC 12

5 big 12

6 AAC  

these six conferences will matter the most when the 2024 playoff format begins 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  7,456
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

Bingo. I have said this before. 

It is in Syracuse and BCs, etc best interest to let FSU and Clemson, etc go. Side with them. Dissolve the ACC/GOR. Scoop in new blood, put a new bow on it. I would bet that would net out positive financially for them too. 

• Like 1