Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,878
  • Days Won:  6

20 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

The MAC is just so heavily regional (it's like the only conference left that is TRULY just regional).

Agree, but they kind of defaulted to being regional.  They've tried to expand their football footprint in the past with UCF, Temple and UMass but it was very temporary.  I like Toledo being in any future discussions.

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,142
  • Days Won:  109

16 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

lol nah. USF has done well with their attendance despite lack of wins on the football field.  

I was thinking road teams that come in and draw their fans to an away game or teams that generate interest just because of who they are. USF doesn't bring many fans to road games and the casual fan isn't showing up to watch USF when they play UTSA.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,118
  • Days Won:  14

4 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Agree, but they kind of defaulted to being regional.  They've tried to expand their football footprint in the past with UCF, Temple and UMass but it was very temporary.  I like Toledo being in any future discussions.

In going along with expansion tradition, somebody needs to break up the Toledo/Bowling Green traditional rivalry.  As we have seen from all this re-alignment, we simply can't have traditional, well-loved regional college football rivalries getting in the way of expansion.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,211
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I think the ACC just negotiates a better deal

This is a big one that most people aren't talking about. Why wont they vote to disolve GOR to gain leverage on a new tv deal. Sure, some of those schools also want to leave the ACC (mainly FSU/Clemson), but schools like VaTech also just... want more money. I'm surprised that GaTech is not in that group. Assuming this happens and the GOR is disolved, FSU/Clemson accept SEC invites, USF/UConn/Tulane/Navy/Army to the ACC would be a great package, as ND would probably pull out too.

Edit: Do not think Memphis would be a take in a strong or weak ACC. They should be B12 worthy.  

Edited by USF_Bullsharks

• Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,878
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

In going along with expansion tradition, somebody needs to break up the Toledo/Bowling Green traditional rivalry.  As we have seen from all this re-alignment, we simply can't have traditional, well-loved regional college football rivalries getting in the way of expansion.

At this point, it's all about the green.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

41 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

This is a big one that most people aren't talking about. Why wont they vote to disolve GOR to gain leverage on a new tv deal. Sure, some of those schools also want to leave the ACC (mainly FSU/Clemson), but schools like VaTech also just... want more money. I'm surprised that GaTech is not in that group. Assuming this happens and the GOR is disolved, FSU/Clemson accept SEC invites, USF/UConn/Tulane/Navy/Army to the ACC would be a great package, as ND would probably pull out too.

Edit: Do not think Memphis would be a take in a strong or weak ACC. They should be B12 worthy.  

Some are talking about it, but it's not really a solution that makes sense. ESPN has no reason to just pay the ACC more than they already are. The ACC insisted on a conference network so this pay structure from ESPN makes financial sense for them to get their money back on that investment. Dissolving the GOR just means the ACC can no longer hold the TV rights of individual members hostage as a method to keep them from leaving. Doesn't directly change their deal with ESPN. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

49 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I don't see it being a case where they agree to dissolve it and end up negotiating a better deal. GOR ends and the big financial burden for moving FSU/Clemson to the SEC is gone. They'll be on the first train out. The only way I could see the 5-6 schools not named FSU/Clemson agreeing to go along with dissolving the GOR is if they've got a pretty rock solid idea that they're landing elsewhere. They can't possibly think they'll get the same or better money with FSU/Clemson leaving for the SEC and likely UNC/UVA leaving for the B1G.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,053
  • Days Won:  45

What a mess lol.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,776
  • Days Won:  3

16 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I don't see it being a case where they agree to dissolve it and end up negotiating a better deal. GOR ends and the big financial burden for moving FSU/Clemson to the SEC is gone. They'll be on the first train out. The only way I could see the 5-6 schools not named FSU/Clemson agreeing to go along with dissolving the GOR is if they've got a pretty rock solid idea that they're landing elsewhere. They can't possibly think they'll get the same or better money with FSU/Clemson leaving for the SEC and likely UNC/UVA leaving for the B1G.

Duke also: AAU, great basketball, recently successful in Football

• Topic Count:  608
  • Content Count:  17,053
  • Days Won:  45

I do believe the ACC schools will find a way to get a better TV contract. Tampa Bay is a great market for them to add….

76FFA03C-2B20-4574-86AF-4AF93E497FD1.png