Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

19 hours ago, Skingraft said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'ON3 On3 @On3sports Florida State AD Michael Alford reportedly presented potential buyout figures with the school's board of trustees earlier today while discussing the topic of potentially eaving the ACC, according to @MBakerTBTimes. Story:on3.com/coleg/fori...'

This could be a great opportunity for USF. Simple plug-and-play. New IPF, new stadium, and finally a commitment to the FB program. 

I think the problem here would be if/when FSU buys out and moves, now you have a hard number and the other larger brands in the conference would likely have a similar train of thought as far as "breaking even in a few years" and then you're questioning the stability of the conference.

16 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

All because the City of Orlando didn't want to renovate the Citrus Bowl or share revenue...  UCF built the stadium in about 21 months from BOT approval to opening day, without the "design phase" process USF is starting in officially March... UCF stadium construction took 16 months while USF has said 24 or more months.

I thought the issue was the City of Orlando had finally decided to renovate the Citrus Bowl and essentially told UCF "you have this much time to get out of the stadium so we can renovate"

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, GoBulls84 said:

I think the problem here would be if/when FSU buys out and moves, now you have a hard number and the other larger brands in the conference would likely have a similar train of thought as far as "breaking even in a few years" and then you're questioning the stability of the conference.

That is exactly it. ACC teams would look to move somewhere else much like the four teams in the PAC12 rumored to be going to the Big12.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

3 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I thought the issue was the City of Orlando had finally decided to renovate the Citrus Bowl and essentially told UCF "you have this much time to get out of the stadium so we can renovate"

That's pretty much how I recall things going. They were given a heads up that this renovation is taking place, and unless you want to squeeze games in with the high school crowd, you need to get hot on building your stadium. It's one thing to control your timeline, quite another to have it dictated by someone else.  USF has had the luxury of playing in a quality NFL stadium (after one season in the Big Sombrero) so they could afford to take a 'less dramatic' approach to the end product.  I think that's how it's going to shake out, comparing the USF rendition to that of UCF. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,935
  • Days Won:  436

6 hours ago, 00Bull said:

Weren’t desperate a decade ago..Fify

It's stupid to build something like an ocs out of desperation. It guarantees nothing. We're ready now because enough of our fanbase has had a decade to mature financially to make an ocs feasible ..... at least that's what we're banking on.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, GoBulls84 said:

That was initially part of it ... but then the City backed down because they were also building the new arena for the Magic and a new performing arts center... but UCF realized it was going to happen eventually, so they made the call to do it then and there.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,761
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, USFBULL_08 said:

That is exactly it. ACC teams would look to move somewhere else much like the four teams in the PAC12 rumored to be going to the Big12.

That would suck. I can't even imagine an ACC without at least UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. If those teams leave then there will be no ACC in my mind. Way too much tradition would be lost. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,118
  • Days Won:  14

2 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

That would suck. I can't even imagine an ACC without at least UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest. If those teams leave then there will be no ACC in my mind. Way too much tradition would be lost. 

An ACC without the North Carolina teams?  That would be almost as preposterous and stupid as USC and UCLA to the Big 10.  Or WVU to the Big 12.  Or Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.  Oh, wait...

39 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's stupid to build something like an ocs out of desperation. It guarantees nothing. We're ready now because enough of our fanbase has had a decade to mature financially to make an ocs feasible ..... at least that's what we're banking on.

I tend to agree. If we had built, say, back when the kerfuffle over TSA giving Monster Jam preference over us hosting a potential conference-deciding home game against Rutgers, we probably would have ended up with something only marginally better than what OCC put up. As it is, we bided our time playing in a first class, Super Bowl-caliber stadium and will be able to build a first class stadium of our own rather than an exaggerated high school stadium

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

37 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I tend to agree. If we had built, say, back when the kerfuffle over TSA giving Monster Jam preference over us hosting a potential conference-deciding home game against Rutgers, we probably would have ended up with something only marginally better than what OCC put up. As it is, we bided our time playing in a first class, Super Bowl-caliber stadium and will be able to build a first class stadium of our own rather than an exaggerated high school stadium...

... and in the process missed a chance to move up to the Big 12 (according to some).