Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Agreed, Mike. Would really like to see 45-50k capacity and regular attendance in the not-too-distant future. Glad we are taking the first step. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,651
  • Days Won:  52

34 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Agreed, Mike. Would really like to see 45-50k capacity and regular attendance in the not-too-distant future. Glad we are taking the first step. 

This in an OCS would be wild.  I don't care if we are playing the Carolina Catamounts at that point.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,067
  • Days Won:  46

3 hours ago, hm101 said:

Getting tripped up over semantics of literally within the boundaries of campus or not. 

The point is, it is THEIR stadium. 

They can control the revenue, the gameday environment, etc. The branding is theirs. Etc. There's not a giant red pirate ship in the middle of UCLA's stadium. (Even for Pitt - I have seen the stadium - they have great Pitt branding for gameday and there seems to be more of an explicit partnership between them and the Steelers. I think they share certain training facilities too.)

That's what is missing for us - our home. 

Reasonable, smart people can disagree over whether OCS is needed, a good idea, etc. 

USF wants to control the revenue stream, improve the gameday environment, increase school spirit, etc etc. One can speculate that they have been told it was a requirement to move up, perhaps even. On the other hand, I share the concern that it won't pay off if CFB changes for the worse and/or we don't that invite. 

Exactly!! I been crying for an OCS since 1997.  The control & prestige factor is hard to ignore once people see USF playing on their own OCS. Possibilities are endless. Especially with the growth of Uptown Tampa we will be like Syracuse South. Good in both mens hoops & football 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, GoBulls84 said:

So because those schools are large name brands (NC State on the list with those other four is dubious) without an OCS, that means building one wouldn't add to our overall profile? No one's saying it would instantly make us a blue blood, but to point out blue bloods (that have been around for 100 years) that are successful without an OCS is apples to oranges IMO.

4 hours ago, hm101 said:

Getting tripped up over semantics of literally within the boundaries of campus or not. 

The point is, it is THEIR stadium. 

They can control the revenue, the gameday environment, etc. The branding is theirs. Etc. There's not a giant red pirate ship in the middle of UCLA's stadium. (Even for Pitt - I have seen the stadium - they have great Pitt branding for gameday and there seems to be more of an explicit partnership between them and the Steelers. I think they share certain training facilities too.)

That's what is missing for us - our home. 

Reasonable, smart people can disagree over whether OCS is needed, a good idea, etc. 

USF wants to control the revenue stream, improve the gameday environment, increase school spirit, etc etc. One can speculate that they have been told it was a requirement to move up, perhaps even. On the other hand, I share the concern that it won't pay off if CFB changes for the worse and/or we don't that invite. 

I'll say this one more time. The fact that a school has an on or off campus stadium has nothing to do with how well a school, not the athletic program, is perceived.  Pages ago it was mentioned that an OCS will somehow lift the perception of a school. It won't.  Win a conference title and go to the playoffs might do that - but it won't matter in which stadium it happens. 

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

49 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'll say this one more time.

Me too - yes it will. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,651
  • Days Won:  52

55 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'll say this one more time. The fact that a school has an on or off campus stadium has nothing to do with how well a school, not the athletic program, is perceived.  Pages ago it was mentioned that an OCS will somehow lift the perception of a school. It won't.  Win a conference title and go to the playoffs might do that - but it won't matter in which stadium it happens. 

It matters to the fan base though which builds the traditions, and generational donor base which also has a hand in raising perception.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,879
  • Days Won:  6

59 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'll say this one more time.  

10 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Me too - yes it will. 

Not super recent, but interesting debate about this (that went well beyond recruiting which is the title) seems to indicate players may not care, but students and fans seem to.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

Not super recent, but interesting debate about this (that went well beyond recruiting which is the title) seems to indicate players may not care, but students and fans seem to.

I think, especially in a case like ours, there would definitely be more inherent value to students/fans in playing in an OCS. I can't imagine playing in a top notch Super Bowl-caliber stadium is a terrible selling point to recruits.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

By the way, one funny thing on the list of schools that play off campus. UAB moved from their off campus stadium to a different off campus stadium. (the new one is nice, I went to the Birmingham Bowl this past December)

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

59 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I think, especially in a case like ours, there would definitely be more inherent value to students/fans in playing in an OCS. I can't imagine playing in a top notch Super Bowl-caliber stadium is a terrible selling point to recruits.

I think there are a lot of variables that go into the importance to fans and players.  The quality and status level of the off-campus stadium.  The nature of the community and the school (e.g., I would venture to guess on-campus stadiums are probably a bigger deal in smaller cities/metropolitan areas, particularly where the community revolves around the University). The area and atmosphere surrounding either an on-campus or off-campus stadium. Etc., etc.

Also, much has been made of UCF's decision to invest in an on-campus stadium.  They were playing in the old, decrepit Citrus Bowl, which was nearly falling down, located in a very bad part of Orlando and further away from their campus than Ray Jay is from USF.  They really didn't have a lot of choice but to move.

• Upvote 1