Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

1. Doubt the BigTen or SEC expands past 16 right now. If you look at past history, expansion happens with small additions at a time. Both SEC and BigTen got their big fishes to go to 16 and got new tv contracts. Don’t see either moving to add lesser schools during that contract period. Notre Dame is only exemption.

2. The ACC is stuck with the GOR and still, 13 years of it,so very expensive to get out of. The 120 million FSU AD mentioned is the exit fee, not accounting for GOR. So unless they got enough schools to end the ACC, they are stuck. More likely you will see them split the new playoff money unevenly.

3. The PAC will probably add SDU and SMU their contract will end up being close to the Big12 payout. That will be enough to keep them together. The PAC schools even the Corner 4 everyone thinks that might move to Big12, much rather stay with PAC schools than Big12 ones. An extra 5 million a year isn’t going to change that.

4. Big12 might need to expand once new contract starts in 2025 and OU and UT aren’t there. Question will be do they add AAC schools or wait longer to see what happens with PAC and ACC. That would probably mean for the entirety of their new tv contract.

Nothing has changed for USF. The Bulls must move towards building OCS, start winning and trying to win AAC and that playoff spot. If they do that, they will be in the mix to move up.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,879
  • Days Won:  6

Call me crazy but I think if the PAC offers SMU, the BIG12 will snatch them up dangling more dollars in front of them. With ACC GOR, their best move is to take SMU, 2 of the west coast teams and of course USF.      USF, UCF, WVU and Cincy make a nice eastern time pod for a 16 team BIG12. Nice 9 game conference schedule playing your pod plus rotate 2 of 4 each year from other 3 pods. Done. Why is this so hard for them to see?

GO BULLS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

41 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Call me crazy but I think if the PAC offers SMU, the BIG12 will snatch them up dangling more dollars in front of them. With ACC GOR, their best move is to take SMU, 2 of the west coast teams and of course USF.      USF, UCF, WVU and Cincy make a nice eastern time pod for a 16 team BIG12. Nice 9 game conference schedule playing your pod plus rotate 2 of 4 each year from other 3 pods. Done. Why is this so hard for them to see?

GO BULLS!

While this might be a long term play. I don't think they will take us with the potential of poaching ACC or PAC schools. Only after those two leagues stabilize will we be an option. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

47 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

GO BULLS!

It's fun to think about, wish, and hope.  But, you're forgetting one important fact.  Conferences don't want USF.  They don't.  At all.  Many schools have moved on to power conferences since the Big East imploded, if you include SMU and SDSU. (WVU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, SMU, SDSU, etc.)  None of them are named USF.

It's fun to wish and hope, but the fact remains conferences don't want USF.

I hope I am wrong, but I am not wrong.  USF will always be in an AAC like conference.  And to some extent that is OK if you just accept that.

One of the reasons I am not overly excited if FSU leaves ACC is because it just means more teams will likely be selected ahead of USF.  No thank you.  I am not interested in more chairs moving around if one of them is not USF, and at this point, unless the ACC loses about 8 schools, and becomes the new imploding Big East, they aren't adding USF.

Conferences don't want USF.  Prove me wrong.

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  698
  • Content Count:  7,879
  • Days Won:  6

4 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

It's fun to think about, wish, and hope. 

It's fun to wish and hope.

Without wishes and hopes, we have nothing.  Dreaming is all I've got right now.

GO BULLS! 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

9 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

It's fun to think about, wish, and hope.  But, you're forgetting one important fact.  Conferences don't want USF.  They don't.  At all.  Many schools have moved on to power conferences since the Big East imploded, if you include SMU and SDSU. (WVU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, SMU, SDSU, etc.)  None of them are named USF.

It's fun to wish and hope, but the fact remains conferences don't want USF.

I hope I am wrong, but I am not wrong.  USF will always be in an AAC like conference.  And to some extent that is OK if you just accept that.

7 years ago no major conferences wanted UCF, SMU, or San Diego State. They started winning, and became a hot commodity.

If we start winning, build an OCS, 5 years from now we will become a hot commodity as well.

There is a reason that the Big East added us to their conference back in the day. We are a team in a good tv market, and have loads of potential.

Edited by belgianbull

1 minute ago, belgianbull said:

7 years ago no major conferences wanted UCF, SMU, or San Diego State. They started winning, and became a hot commodity.

If we start winning, build an OCS, 5 years from now we will become a hot commodity as well.

There is a reason that the Big East added us to their conference back in the day. We are a team in a good tv market, and have loads of potential.

20 years have gone by since we were added to the BE.  The BE had little choice.  They had 5 remaining football schools.  They had to add to survive.  

I do admit that if the ACC got down to 5 or 6 schools, we would likely be added.  I admitted that.

Short of that, someone else will be added.  Just as Houston, UCF, SMU, etc have been added.  Maybe it's Memphis or Tulane next time, but someone else will be added.

Prove me wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

11 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

20 years have gone by since we were added to the BE.  The BE had little choice.  They had 5 remaining football schools.  They had to add to survive.  

I do admit that if the ACC got down to 5 or 6 schools, we would likely be added.  I admitted that.

Short of that, someone else will be added.  Just as Houston, UCF, SMU, etc have been added.  Maybe it's Memphis or Tulane next time, but someone else will be added.

Prove me wrong.

At that point the Big East could have added other teams; yet the decided to go with us. They could have added SMU,ECU, UCF, TCU,....

They saw potential in us, and for a while we lived up to our potential. We we often ranked, won bowl games, had high attendance numbers,...

True that we squandered that potential in the last 5 years, but all I am saying is that if we get positive momentum again we will again become a hot commodity.

The potential that the Big East saw in us is still there.

Edited by belgianbull

I hope y'all are right.  I really do.  I am just not seeing any evidence conferences want USF.

No conference has wanted USF since the Big East added USF under desperation in 2003, 20 years ago.

I hope I am wrong. but I feel that I am not wrong.  If the Big 12 or ACC came out and said we are adding 2 teams right now, do you honestly feel USF would be among those teams.

I don't.

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,582
  • Days Won:  13

2 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I hope y'all are right.  I really do.  I am just not seeing any evidence conferences want USF.

No conference has wanted USF since the Big East added USF under desperation in 2003, 20 years ago.

I hope I am wrong. but I feel that I am not wrong.  If the Big 12 or ACC came out and said we are adding 2 teams right now, do you honestly feel USF would be among those teams.

I don't.

USF got in because it was ahead of UCF and the Big East wanted a Florida school... and we also had relationship with Louisville and Cincinnati going back to Metro Conference days.

If FSU (or both FSU and Miami) leave the ACC, you can bet USF gets invited as long as the ACC exists.

Finally, you will never see "evidence" a conference "wants" a school overall.  USF has very likely applied to join the Big 12 (the Big 12 commissioner said they have 20 applications in hand, but did not specifiy which schools).  You may see "rumors" of schools -- like the rumor the Big 12 want to add the Four Corners schools. 

Trust in the process.  USF will be fine when this all shakes out.  It may take five more years, during which a lot of people will whine and moan... but USF will be okay.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1