Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  602
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

UCF Cincy and Houston stand to have roughly 30 million more reasons for thinking the P5 does matter.

I'm astounded this is still an argument somehow....if you don't think the money disparity will create a huge gap leaving us in the dust then you're simply ignoring reality.

Everything costs more today than at any point in the past.  And any previous success USF had while in trailers or with previous coaches is irrelevant when college football has changed DRAMATICALLY since 1997.

USF isn't going to attract/retain quality players when we play in front of 5000 fans against Rice or whoever else is in this conference now.  And how many commits will be jazzed about playing for the streaming ESPN 3 masses when you can go to Orlando, Gainesville or Tally and play on national television and get exposure.  Hey want to get drafted?  Good luck showing the NFL your tape against UAB when others are playing against ranked teams. 

God the list goes on and on...."P5 doesn't matter" is about the most unrealistic take right now.  It's never mattered more. 

And in a few years when the P5 decide to stop letting G5 into the playoffs, because their good players get injured during blowouts against G5 (or they simply want to keep more money), you won't even have the illusion of the playoffs as a G5.

Cold hard facts. The same system that’s now discouraging P5s from scheduling G5 opponents is going to let a G5 team in the playoffs? Not happening. I’m afraid the only path forward is to dominate our minor league conference for the next 5+ years and hope to get a call up. Problem is that it’s going to be extremely hard to dominate when your best players will be leaving every year. 

Edited by 00Bull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

35 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

Cold hard facts. The same system that’s now discouraging P5s from scheduling G5 opponents is going to let a G5 team in the playoffs? Not happening. I’m afraid the only path forward is to dominate our minor league conference for the next 5+ years and hope to get a call up. Problem is that it’s going to be extremely hard to dominate when your best players will be leaving every year. 

I think they will keep the set up where the highest ranked group of five conference champion  will make the playoffs, but that means one team out of how many? I think its about one out of 70. Without Houston, SMU, UCF, and Cincy, its hard to claim that the AAC is still the best group of 5 conference.

Also if power 5 teams stop playing group of 5 teams it would almost be impossible to be ranked high enough for a second group of 5 team to make the playoffs.

So I don't buy that remaining in the AAC would increase our playoff chances. The  years where we ranked close to the top 12 in the country was all while we were in the Big East, and were playing a quality schedule.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,270
  • Days Won:  10

17 hours ago, Triple B said:

SMU -  Started football in 1915; has 11 conference; more donor $$$

SDSU - Started football in 21; has 21 conference titles; more donor $$$

Whine about "thanking" USF when a program with a lesser resume "jumps" us ....

I don't think the fact that SMU and SDSU started their football program about a 100 years ago or that they have more donor money is highly relevant. Current realignment is all about the last 4-7  years. If SDSU and SMU would have been a losing team during that time span there is no way they would be invited to the the PAC.  Same goes for Cincy, UCF, and Houston regarding the Big 12. In addition, something else that these teams have in common is that they all have an OCS. Winning and an OCS.

Likewise if we had built the OCS, and if we had sustained winning after the first two years of Strong I have zero doubt that USF would have been invited along the others to the Big 12.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,646
  • Days Won:  51

11 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

To be honest. The conference is not as big of a deal now that the 12 team playoffs start in 2024 which guarantees a spot for the top six conferences. Now if we start hearing rumors about the AAC dumping USF for another school then I would be more worried. USF will be fine especially if we start winning conferences championships lol

Sarcasm font here… Yeah, the gap is definitely getting closer.  Especially now that schools offer millions and millions of NIL money to 17 year olds, now that the P5 conference schools get paid over 500x what we get get paid.  Now that any good player we do manage to develop can transfer whenever they want to a P5 school and play right away.   

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  846
  • Days Won:  1

**** just got the ticket renewal email and saw the home schedule... Oh man... woof

Tough to cough up the money and even the effort to watch those teams. I'm a die hard fan with two degrees from the school and find it difficult to keep investing after seeing this downhill trend. Miss those days of playing name brand schools. Yes even Rutgers.

I know I sound like an entitled ass saying that with our brief history in football, but seriously in our big city of Tampa and with as many alumni that we have there is no reason for us to be in this predicament. 

This is a bad situation to be in my friends...

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, 00Bull said:

And then we will dominate the Big12, ACC or Big 10 and make the National Championship game having all that extra money in our coffers.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  336
  • Days Won:  0

25 minutes ago, 350_BULL said:

**** just got the ticket renewal email and saw the home schedule... Oh man... woof

Tough to cough up the money and even the effort to watch those teams. I'm a die hard fan with two degrees from the school and find it difficult to keep investing after seeing this downhill trend. Miss those days of playing name brand schools. Yes even Rutgers.

I know I sound like an entitled ass saying that with our brief history in football, but seriously in our big city of Tampa and with as many alumni that we have there is no reason for us to be in this predicament. 

This is a bad situation to be in my friends...

I used to plan my life around usf football, attend all the home games and many away games. Now, I MIGHT watch a game on TV. Don't really care about any of the teams on the schedule other than bama this year. If the ad had any control over the schedule, this home slate would be a firable offense.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Trust the plan…

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  13,739
  • Days Won:  30

43 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Trust the plan…

Does the plan actually winning in football or making excuses for losing?

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  846
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Bull Awakening said:

Trust the plan…

You mean the plan developed like 6 months ago out of sheer desperation where we will build the best OCS ever?

Hard to trust the plan when the opportunity for planning has been squandered and time wasted.

Proper planning prevents poor performance...

• Like 1