Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,251
  • Days Won:  37

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

I am not entirely sure there... 2024 and 2025 might be the only years the OOC could do that... the rest only have one "P5" and two G5 schools... and with the changes to AAC it makes the conference schedule weaker.

Plus after the CFP agreement runs out, there's technically nothing that says the AAC will be in the same position with access.

Good point about the CFP. Michael Kelly had some very interesting comments at the luncheon today regarding that.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

15 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Good point about the CFP. Michael Kelly had some very interesting comments at the luncheon today regarding that.

Wish I was in Tampa for that... if only it was held on Friday, the same day as the Alumni Association academy! HA!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

45 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

I'd be glad to define it. The 2025 season consists of an OOC schedule of BOISE STATE, @FLORIDA, @MIAMI, and SAN JOSE STATE. Run that and then the AAC (a weaker AAC yes, but still with some good programs that could be Top 25) and we'd be in the CFP conversation.

I totally disagree, we might get in the top 10 (and even that I don't really believe) but to think their would be a chance in a four team playoff is unrelastic. If we are in the conversation it would be on twitter or the media so people can hits on line. The blue bloods would have to lose three games for us to get real consideration and thats with an undefeated season. The odds are better that hair will grow in the middle of the palm of your hand for both of those to hit.  

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  53

31 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I totally disagree, we might get in the top 10 (and even that I don't really believe) but to think their would be a chance in a four team playoff is unrelastic. If we are in the conversation it would be on twitter or the media so people can hits on line. The blue bloods would have to lose three games for us to get real consideration and thats with an undefeated season. The odds are better that hair will grow in the middle of the palm of your hand for both of those to hit.  

This is a real question and not a snarky question, but how did Cincy swing it?  I don't remember because last year was a vague blur.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This is a real question and not a snarky question, but how did Cincy swing it?  I don't remember because last year was a vague blur.

This is how I see it . . . we win out and win our conference dominantly, it's possible.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  3,251
  • Days Won:  37

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

By winning a road game versus a Top 5 team.

We'd have 2 potential opportunities for Top 10 road wins in 2025. Conference resume may not be as strong as Cincy' was  in 2021, but I'd argue that winning at UF and Miami, who could both be conference champions in 2025, is better than what Cincy accomplished.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

It's a little bit of work and on their end and then some luck with the stars aligning.

Just my opinion but the formula for G5 seems to be that you need 2 NY6 years in a row to realistically have a chance. Then to seal the deal, you have to luck into having 1 or 2 ranked P5 teams in the 2nd year of this run. 

We can look at 15-16 UH, 17-18 UCF, and 20-21 Cincy. Houston checked the box for year 1, had the schedule for year 2 and even beat the big ranked P5 teams, but stumbled against conference opponents and didn't make it. UCF managed 2 NY6 years in a row, but without even 1 big ranked P5 teams in 2018 it was never going to happen. Cincy finally got all the elements. The 2 year run with the signature P5 win in year 2. Along with enough losses for the P5 champs from the ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 that could've taken their spot. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

They went 9-0. won the conference and eventually lost by a field goal to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in 2020, then started 2021 in the top 10 (because basically their entire team was back), had a non-con schedule that included a Big Ten road game and a top 10 road game at Notre Dame, won pretty much comfortably with everybody on their schedule until the playoffs.

They had that rare "perfect storm" for a G5 team in that their OOC schedule gave a quality team a chance to prove they belonged. 2018 UCF didn't get the same chance, as they didn't get the benefit of the doubt to start the year in the top 10 (started 21), and their OOC opponents (only road OOC was UConn) went 18-35 collectively. They had the setback of having a good team with a terrible OOC schedule.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

13 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Two years of being undefeated was the main catalyst along with their bowl win and beating ND. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Just now, UCF_rustbucket said:

It's a little bit of work and on their end and then some luck with the stars aligning.

Just my opinion but the formula for G5 seems to be that you need 2 NY6 years in a row to realistically have a chance. Then to seal the deal, you have to luck into having 1 or 2 ranked P5 teams in the 2nd year of this run. 

We can look at 15-16 UH, 17-18 UCF, and 20-21 Cincy. Houston checked the box for year 1, had the schedule for year 2 and even beat the big ranked P5 teams, but stumbled against conference opponents and didn't make it. UCF managed 2 NY6 years in a row, but without even 1 big ranked P5 teams in 2018 it was never going to happen. Cincy finally got all the elements. The 2 year run with the signature P5 win in year 2. Along with enough losses for the P5 champs from the ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 that could've taken their spot. 

Pretty much this. Had Houston run the table in conference play, they would have been a shoe-in for the playoffs after pounding #3 Oklahoma nd #5 Louisville. Instead, they lost a tough game at Navy, laid an absolute egg against SMU, and then fell short in their season finale against Memphis. Instead of making the playoffs like was being predicted after they whooped Oklahoma, they didn't even play in the conference title game (where Temple beat Navy).

That same season could have been a year where we would have been able to make a case had we taken care of business where we should have. Having a top 15 FSU on the schedule, and if Houston had carried their early season play all year, a top 5 Houston and possibly top 10 USF would have been squaring off for the conference title.

Instead, we let Dalvin Cook and Ryquell Armstead run all over us and had to wait until bowl season to get ranked.

• Upvote 1