Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, zarnozdabull said:

This is ridiculous 😂

Most of the country is asleep during Pac 12 games.

Now just doing damage control because the Big 10 is telling them to kick rocks.

Well... not entirely... according to Stuart Mandel (Link to article on The Athletic😞

"In 2021, Pac-12 teams appeared on 12 ESPN games that kicked off at 10 p.m. ET or later. Those games averaged 1.34 million viewers, and all but two broke 1 million . . .

Because ESPN reserves its earlier time slots almost entirely for the Big Ten, SEC and ACC, the Big 12’s best cable windows are usually daytime on ESPN2. Ratings-wise, it’s still better to be on main ESPN, regardless of kickoff time.

For example, on Nov. 20 last season, Arizona State and Oregon State — two of the Pac-12’s lowest-drawing teams — played a 10:30 p.m. ET ESPN game that garnered 1.11 million viewers. In doing so, they narrowly beat a Noon ESPN2 game that included Texas (against West Virginia). It sounds crazy, but the [ASU-OSU game], which reached 1 million viewers, went up against both No. 4 Ohio State vs. No. 7 Michigan State on ABC (5.3 million) and Clemson vs. No. 10 Wake Forest on ESPN (1.6 million), whereas the Sun Devils and Beavers were the only Power 5 teams still in action."

John Wilner also wrote about this (paywall link)

cash-reserves12.jpg?w=640

The hated late kickoffs could become the Pac-12’s salvation in the aftermath of USC and UCLA leaving for the Big Ten.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

If you are following the BigTen tv contract talks, they have just announced that ESPN turned down a 7 year 350 million for part of BT rights, so it looks like they are out.

It looks like FOX, CBS and NBC are all paying similar amounts to what ESPN turn down to get a piece of BT deal.

What does that mean?

More likely, now ESPN does a deal with PAC to cover their late nights and probably offer them a few slots  at 7:30 ET on ABC/ ESPN.

Most of their noon, 3:30, 7:30 ABC/ ESPN slots will be for SEC and ACC with the American getting a handful. The American contract guarantees 20 games on ABC/ ESPN/ ESPN2. More likely most will be on ESPN2

For the new Big12 this probably means that ESPN wont be bidding on their contract or if they do it wont be much,since not many slots available.

How much money and access will FOX , CBS, NBC need after BT? Stay tune

Edited by Cubanbull

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,792
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

If you are following the BigTen tv contract talks, they have just announced that ESPN turned down a 7 year 350 million for part of BT rights, so it looks like they are out.

It looks like FOX, CBS and NBC are all paying similar amounts to what ESPN turn down to get a piece of BT deal.

What does that mean?

More likely, now ESPN does a deal with PAC to cover their late nights and probably offer them a few slots  at 7:30 ET on ABC/ ESPN.

Most of their noon, 3:30, 7:30 ABC/ ESPN slots will be for SEC and ACC with the American getting a handful. The American contract guarantees 20 games on ABC/ ESPN/ ESPN2. More likely most will be on ESPN2

For the new Big12 this probably means that ESPN wont be bidding on their contract or if they do it wont be much,since not many slots available.

How much money and access will FOX , CBS, NBC need after BT? Stay tune

As much as I want the B12 to fail and for UCF to come crawling back, if that happens wouldn’t the ACC pick them up before us if FSU/Miami dip?

They were already picked up over us once before, and have the culture built around their program already.

23 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Both Fox and ESPN will bid for the Big 12... ESPN has sixteen time slots (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU) plus 8 on the SEC network and SEC alternate and 4 on the ACC network to fill every week and Fox has twelve slots they could use (Fox, FS1, FS2).

ESPN also wants to sell ESPN+ subscriptions.

However, I would expect other suitors for the Big 12 inventory ... CBS (for their CBS Sports Network and Paramount+) along with Amazon and Apple.  Bally Sports might also bid for some regional coverage -- which is where adding USF could help add subscribers.

The Pac 10/12 and the Big 12 will definitely be more of a hodgepodge of networks and platforms than the Big Ten and SEC.

And if the Big 12 decides it also wants a Big 12 Network as part of the next deal -- well that could mean they need more markets to make that viable, too.

37 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

As much as I want the B12 to fail and for UCF to come crawling back, if that happens wouldn’t the ACC pick them up before us if FSU/Miami dip?

They were already picked up over us once before, and have the culture built around their program already.

I do not want the Big12 to fail, in fact I think that’s where we end up most likely if we move up. My point is that all this talk about the Big12 making 40-50 million is pie on the sky talk. Regardless who ends up signing them it will be to fill content,so they will not get big money. In fact the PAC due to location fills better slots for ESPN than Big12

11 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Both Fox and ESPN will bid for the Big 12... ESPN has sixteen time slots (ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU) plus 8 on the SEC network and SEC alternate and 4 on the ACC network to fill every week and Fox has twelve slots they could use (Fox, FS1, FS2).

ESPN also wants to sell ESPN+ subscriptions.

However, I would expect other suitors for the Big 12 inventory ... CBS (for their CBS Sports Network and Paramount+) along with Amazon and Apple.  Bally Sports might also bid for some regional coverage -- which is where adding USF could help add subscribers.

The Pac 10/12 and the Big 12 will definitely be more of a hodgepodge of networks and platforms than the Big Ten and SEC.

And if the Big 12 decides it also wants a Big 12 Network as part of the next deal -- well that could mean they need more markets to make that viable, too.

See my post above. I’m not saying they won’t get FOX or even ESPN. My point is that they will be providing filler content to whoever they get, so all this 50 million per team crap is not realistic 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,248
  • Days Won:  68

2 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

This is ridiculous 😂

Most of the country is asleep during Pac 12 games.

Now just doing damage control because the Big 10 is telling them to kick rocks.

There are many degenerate gamblers that take a beating during the day and use the late night games to get even or parlay into a small fortune, don’t know this from experience but heard it from a friend. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

See my post above. I’m not saying they won’t get FOX or even ESPN. My point is that they will be providing filler content to whoever they get, so all this 50 million per team crap is not realistic 

Oh... true.  But that $50 million was assuming adding Pac 12 teams (four corners maybe more)... the lack of P5 options will mean the Big 12 will be in the 20-25 million per team... which may also require more than 12 teams in the conference.

9 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Oh... true.  But that $50 million was assuming adding Pac 12 teams (four corners maybe more)... the lack of P5 options will mean the Big 12 will be in the 20-25 million per team... which may also require more than 12 teams in the conference.

Not really if you have been hearing the talking heads on their boards they had been posting Navigate attachments showing they as they are would make more than PAC and ACC.

Reality is that now I think they will make slightly less than PAC.

I predict PAC will get around 35 million, Big12 30 million at best.

• Upvote 1