Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

This could tip things... Notre Dame asking for $75 million for 7 home football games.  NBC claims it needs more inventory, and the article mentions Big 12 (NBC could bid for those rights, but the Big 12 contract window doesn't open until late 2023... which means the mentioning of Big 12 is a smokescreen).

notre-dame-helmet-getty.jpg

Power Five shoulder programming around Notre Dame games will be key to making such a deal happen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  736
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

The stupidity of the PAC and ACC in blocking the proposed 12 team playoffs with guaranteed status for their champs killed them in long run, because now it will whatever the SEC/ BigTen proposed and there is zero guarantees that they will include guarantees for those three other champions in next deal

I would argue the SEC is just as much to blame when it comes to killing that deal though because their commissioner negotiated the new playoff format while simultaneously poaching schools (and kicking off realignment again). 

The other big conferences said no to the deal because there was not only the appearance that the SEC was gaming the system they were creating (trying to have more teams with more shots in the playoffs), but also because the other leagues realized the SEC was making their first step towards a super conference that did not bother trying to play the other conferences.  Hence the "alliance" that basically said 'we can have more high profile games across 4 conferences, from coast to coast!  Do you hear that advertisers?  We don't need to play the SEC.  In fact they aren't trying to dump us, we're dumping them'

What I'm getting at is the truth of the matter: The proposed expanded playoffs in 2026 would not have stopped conferences with media deals expiring well before then, from trying to get richer now by expanding. 

The B1G isn't posturing for the chance to have an extra team or two appear in a 2026 playoff game one day of the year.  They (like the SEC) are trying to build a catalog of as many high profile games as possible, week in and week out, so advertisers can charge ridiculous prices all season long....and in turn pay their schools.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

I’m not questioning the merit of the idea I’m dismissing in it’s entirety that any conference said that was a concern of theirs that that was impactful to any decision.

:unshun: Take it for what it's worth, and I don't know why I'm even ****** bothering, but someone in Athletics told me that the Big 12 has indicated that the controlling of our revenues by having our own stadium would be advantageous. :reshun:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0303%2Fr981723_1

Officials from the Big 12 told Pac-12 officials on Monday that they're no longer interested in exploring a partnership, sources said.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

:shun off: Take it for what it's worth, and I don't know why I'm even ****** bothering, but someone in Athletics told me that the Big 12 has indicated that the controlling of our revenues by having our own stadium would be advantageous. :shun on:

the-office-dwight-schrute.gif.2810338eda6a42148a832c84da6d5234.gif

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

34 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

I would argue the SEC is just as much to blame when it comes to killing that deal though because their commissioner negotiated the new playoff format while simultaneously poaching schools (and kicking off realignment again). 

The other big conferences said no to the deal because there was not only the appearance that the SEC was gaming the system they were creating (trying to have more teams with more shots in the playoffs), but also because the other leagues realized the SEC was making their first step towards a super conference that did not bother trying to play the other conferences.  Hence the "alliance" that basically said 'we can have more high profile games across 4 conferences, from coast to coast!  Do you hear that advertisers?  We don't need to play the SEC.  In fact they aren't trying to dump us, we're dumping them'

What I'm getting at is the truth of the matter: The proposed expanded playoffs in 2026 would not have stopped conferences with media deals expiring well before then, from trying to get richer now by expanding. 

The B1G isn't posturing for the chance to have an extra team or two appear in a 2026 playoff game one day of the year.  They (like the SEC) are trying to build a catalog of as many high profile games as possible, week in and week out, so advertisers can charge ridiculous prices all season long....and in turn pay their schools.

It wouldn’t have stopped expansion but it would have guaranteed a spot for the Big12 and PAC in playoffs even after being raided. No guarantees that they don’t get cut off in next one.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

This could tip things... Notre Dame asking for $75 million for 7 home football games.  NBC claims it needs more inventory, and the article mentions Big 12 (NBC could bid for those rights, but the Big 12 contract window doesn't open until late 2023... which means the mentioning of Big 12 is a smokescreen).

notre-dame-helmet-getty.jpg

Power Five shoulder programming around Notre Dame games will be key to making such a deal happen

It is simply amazing how the B12 went from the ashes to potential riches so quickly. It’s also incredible how we blew the opportunity of a lifetime…

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

49 minutes ago, Triple B said:

:shun off: Take it for what it's worth, and I don't know why I'm even ****** bothering, but someone in Athletics told me that the Big 12 has indicated that the controlling of our revenues by having our own stadium would be advantageous. :shun on:

What percent of game day profits (which only exist with very creative book keeping) are split between conference mates? What is their official stance on hiring outside companies to run your concessions? Do they have a preference on  permit vs game day parking allotments? Sometimes when people are looking to break up with people the other person needs them to give them reasons, sometimes those things have to do with reality but what the person latches onto as the reason often time isn’t exactly it. However it makes them feel better to pretend that it’s some superficial thing beyond their control but the world that’s holding them back could help with (it’s hard to go to the board and fanbase with they said it’s that I’m a complete failure running an embarrassing **** show and its easier to swallow that they said if you just bought me my own house then they said they would love me everything else about me sucking is directly tied to that).

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

To put it quite simply if everything else was held equal but we played in an OCS while they played in an nfl stadium would we be in the B12 and they be remaining in the AAC? This is typical examples of survivorship and proximity bias and requires one to completely ignore that people in better conferences do not have an OCS and plenty of teams have built an OCS and are in the lowest rung of the sport. They believe that it was the catalyst to their turnaround but that certainly doesn’t mean that it’s a roadmap or a requirement for success and I have my doubts that a conference is using that as it’s deciding factor instead of things that actually impact the conference’s bottom line. They have made strong hires while we have not, they have been in the national discussion while we have not, they play in NY6 bowl games and get laughed at for claiming national championships while we get laughed at because you have to go back three years to win any 6 games, all those things probably have a bit to do with the decision and none of them are the natural result of building a stadium. If $300 million went to NIL I’m pretty sure that would give more guaranteed results than a 35k person stadium and with the same fruits I don’t think any conference honestly gives a **** about if a stadium or anything else started the run of success and if anyone else is being honest they don’t actually believe it either. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344