Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Legally it comes down to how many teams from a conference can leave before it is automatically dissolved. 

There is no "automatic" dissolution.  If 8 of 14 teams left and paid exit fees to the 6 team remaining, those teams would have time to find enough teams to get back above the minimum of 8... See: Conference USA.

4 hours ago, BDYZR said:

What IF the two created a new conference? People keep saying that one or the other will "die." What's the newest conference in the NCAA? Where did it come from?

Conference USA in 1995 ... which formed with the merger of the Metro and Great Midwest conferences... and teams were dropped: VCU and Va Tech were in the Metro but not part of C-USA.  USF was a member of the Metro conference at the time, which is how USF got into C-USA.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

23 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

There is no "automatic" dissolution.  If 8 of 14 teams left and paid exit fees to the 6 team remaining, those teams would have time to find enough teams to get back above the minimum of 8... See: Conference USA.

Conference USA in 1995 ... which formed with the merger of the Metro and Great Midwest conferences... and teams were dropped: VCU and Va Tech were in the Metro but not part of C-USA.  USF was a member of the Metro conference at the time, which is how USF got into C-USA.

What if 10 of 12 teams leave? There is no way that the 2 teams remaining are going to get a windfall from the 10 who left. That would be easily litigated. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

The ACC only needs 8 members to vote to dissolve the conference though, then they can leave for free.

For the PAC that number is 9.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,788
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

The ACC only needs 8 members to vote to dissolve the conference though, then they can leave for free.

For the PAC that number is 9.

How many board members are needed to dissolve USF football? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Days Won:  14

3 hours ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

I think it's just optimism based on overall profile and nothing more like you guessed. Our old AD that got hired away mid 2015 gave a farewell speech to some donors that pretty much said our P5 ticket was punched. And of course nothing happened back then.

I think this, unfortunately, is the most likely assessment. Conference X has probably said, raise attendance, get shovels in the ground for a stadium, and show us a strong donor base,  and you're in. That's nice but it's a lot of ifs. Just my guess. The variables are (1) what conference is it and (2) what did they say they want to see? I have a base case and an ambitious case in mind. Look at what Athletics is doing for hints. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, hm101 said:

I think this, unfortunately, is the most likely assessment. Conference X has probably said, raise attendance, get shovels in the ground for a stadium, and show us a strong donor base,  and you're in. That's nice but it's a lot of ifs. Just my guess. The variables are (1) what conference is it and (2) what did they say they want to see? I have a base case and an ambitious case in mind. Look at what Athletics is doing for hints. 

What exactly would moving from a 65k stadium in Tampa, that hosts Super Bowls, the Tampa Brady’s and bowl games that is next to the airport  to a 35k stadium that’s one improvement is it’s  on campus bring to a conference? Of all the lies we tell ourselves this is the one I most can’t wrap my head around. They probably said have any semblance of interest in your program and while most people would try winning we don’t have people that know how to do that so they heard “build a stadium that temporarily placates people and puts the burden entirely off our shoulders” but that’s not exactly the same thing.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,137
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, puc86 said:

What exactly would moving from a 65k stadium in Tampa, that hosts Super Bowls, the Tampa Brady’s and bowl games that is next to the airport  to a 35k stadium that’s one improvement is it’s  on campus bring to a conference? Of all the lies we tell ourselves this is the one I most can’t wrap my head around. They probably said have any semblance of interest in your program and while most people would try winning we don’t have people that know how to do that so they heard “build a stadium that temporarily placates people and puts the burden entirely off our shoulders” but that’s not exactly the same thing.

While I normally dismiss puc86 right from the start - he brings up some good points. 1) Do the sacrifices you lose from not playing in RayJay get outweighed by the benefits of an OCS and probably more importantly 2) Will it really have an impact on our wins and loses? Not what we hope but does the change help us in this area?

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

What if 10 of 12 teams leave? There is no way that the 2 teams remaining are going to get a windfall from the 10 who left. That would be easily litigated. 

True... but before they "left" they would vote to dissolve the conference... and no team votes to kill their own conference without first having a landing place... and we don't know whether it takes 6 of ten or 8 of ten in the new "Pac 10" to do that.  The ACC is a majority, but it could be more in other conferences to dissolve.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, jjlovecub said:

While I normally dismiss puc86 right from the start - he brings up some good points. 1) Do the sacrifices you lose from not playing in RayJay get outweighed by the benefits of an OCS and probably more importantly 2) Will it really have an impact on our wins and loses? Not what we hope but does the change help us in this area?

I’m not questioning the merit of the idea I’m dismissing in it’s entirety that any conference said that was a concern of theirs that that was impactful to any decision. If anything I can see it as a symptom of the problem but it’s definitely not a tangible problem that has a positive dollar impact to a conference and ultimately that’s all that really matters. Let’s pretend that this was a deciding factor because “reasons” what happens if the ACC says they were looking to grow their NFL stadium footprint and do not prefer smaller stadiums further away from the cities they are trying to impact?

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Looking at tv ratings past five years tv ratings for the new Big12 schools after Texas and Oklahoma leave and looking at USZf’s tv ratings during same five years, I’m feeling much better if they ever do expand. Our numbers look quite good even thru some really bad years. I looked at 2017-21 

In fact the UCF vs USF 2017 game ratings blow any Big12 match up by remaining teams and those added by a lot.