Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

36 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Did it get the ball rolling for the merger? Curious as to what the conference climate was back then in comparison to today ...

It started the ball rolling, many of SWC schools were or had just been on probation, they also had dropped in competitiveness so the Arkansas to SEC just accelerated the move by some schools to leave. Notice that those left out SMU, TCU were smaller private schools with SMU receiving death penalty. Houston had a history of being looked at as a rogue program with low academics. Baylor got saved by the Governor at the time who was a Baylor grad

1 minute ago, bulloni said:

The current CFP agreement ends after the 2025 season. Based on the timing of things they could easily have this new merger conference start in 2026 or just have 1 year in the current CFP agreement

Once again what do you get from allying yourself to schools like Washington and Oregon the most valuable ones that are also looking to get out and won’t sign a GOR? It’s the amount of money you would get make up for losing college basketball units. I don’t think the value of that new conference specially due to instability would be much more that they would get in current PAC or Big12. Also remember how much weight a name carries, selling BigEast name to become AAC hurt more than many thought.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

under the current CFP agreement.

Is this the one that is, and has been, discussing major changes? Seems to me that when they couldn't come to an agreement, realignment started again.

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

Is this the one that is, and has been, discussing major changes? Seems to me that when they couldn't come to an agreement, realignment started again.

True and it weakened theBig12, PAC and ACC even more. Which is why I don’t see any of the PAC or Big12 schools rushing out to do anything drastic that changes their status until they see what SEC and BigTen propose for next deal. The stupidity of the PAC and ACC in blocking the proposed 12 team playoffs with guaranteed status for their champs killed them in long run, because now it will whatever the SEC/ BigTen proposed and there is zero guarantees that they will include guarantees for those three other champions in next deal

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

True and it weakened theBig12, PAC and ACC even more. Which is why I don’t see any of the PAC or Big12 schools rushing out to do anything drastic that changes their status until they see what SEC and BigTen propose for next deal. The stupidity of the PAC and ACC in blocking the proposed 12 team playoffs with guaranteed status for their champs killed them in long run, because now it will whatever the SEC/ BigTen proposed and there is zero guarantees that they will include guarantees for those three other champions in next deal

I agree, but the weakened Big12/PAC, I think, have fallen further behind the ACC. The only chance they have is to take the best of the two. I also agree that they can't kick financially anybody out of either conference. Hell, it won't be Big12 or PAC10 when all is said and done anyway. If they both survive it'll Big-pick-a-number and PAC-pick-a-number.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409

Wonder what this means? Kind of seems like based on the feelers USF has sent to P5 conferences they know exactly where they stand and what needs to be done to get to the next level? The last 2 sentences give me the idea that nothing is imminent but its definitely related to the overall profile of the athletic department

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,788
  • Days Won:  3

32 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Wonder what this means? Kind of seems like based on the feelers USF has sent to P5 conferences they know exactly where they stand and what needs to be done to get to the next level? The last 2 sentences give me the idea that nothing is imminent but its definitely related to the overall profile of the athletic department

It’s official! We are getting an IPF and Stadium!

In all seriousness, I hope this means great things. ACC or bust!

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

Get your domino sets out

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

The same thing it always does, “we waste every penny you give us and then some and we are an embarrassing comedy of errors that has never given the impression that we are capable of running a lemonade stand much less a major athletics program but if you just give us more for longer some undetermined good will miracle itself to happening at some undetermined time despite the fact we will still be here failing you because no one would ever hire us away given our “results” and we need to get paid”. Sounds to me like we are going to lock up some more long term contracts if we can get enough investors  

make it rain money GIF

3C33F733-5218-4E72-BDB3-B27218995271.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

I think it's just optimism based on overall profile and nothing more like you guessed. Our old AD that got hired away mid 2015 gave a farewell speech to some donors that pretty much said our P5 ticket was punched. And of course nothing happened back then.