Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

C'mon... If FSU leaves the ACC then is VTech going to be SEC bound in a few months? I think the big12 is more stable and well respected. ACC will be big east all over again except with duke and wake forest and it will be about as equally respected as the big east was too.

Games against Baylor, Tx Tech, Texas, and TCU, Kansas, and K St, Oky State, OU, WVU, and Iowa... Some may get old time to time but ACC may just fall apart.

True but it's better than what were in now.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

It's really all about upping the competition in any way you can.

Ending up in the ACC, even if it ends up being #5 on the outside looking in at the Power Four, we will be in better company than we are now.

Playing schools like Duke or Wake Forest in football might not be the most exciting, but most of our conference competition now isn't either for the most part. If the massive reshuffling happens and conferences start going to sixteen across the board, I'd gladly play watered down ACC teams with a few of our own lucky enough to move up (UCF, UC, UConn, Temple, maybe even ECU), as it would essentially be losing the dead weight we have now.

At this point, we have about 5 schools that could be the core and move to the ACC eventually as they get raided. I wouldn't count the TX schools as those would likely get seduced to the MWC by that point. Having USF, UCF, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, maybe ECU or Memphis (if they got better at hoops and football, respectively) joining up with BC, Wake Forest, Duke, maybe an oddly leftover GT/Miami/Pitt/Syracuse would be pretty formidable for the most part and would resemble what the Big East SHOULD have been before everyone ripped us apart.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

C'mon... If FSU leaves the ACC then is VTech going to be SEC bound in a few months? I think the big12 is more stable and well respected. ACC will be big east all over again except with duke and wake forest and it will be about as equally respected as the big east was too.

Games against Baylor, Tx Tech, Texas, and TCU, Kansas, and K St, Oky State, OU, WVU, and Iowa... Some may get old time to time but ACC may just fall apart.

Says the man that does or at least has in the very near past live in Texas.

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Here's all the latest twitter rumor:

@usfvoodoo5: The B1G taking them is certainly BS, but we at Voodoo Five support FSU leaving the ACC for obvious and selfish reasons.

@theDudeofWV: @MHver3 @theticketcorner Different sources have different agendas. Mine say FSU has the votes. Only UM & Wisky are against.

@theDudeofWV: Here's a summary. FSU has submitted an application to the B1G. FSU has broad support except for UM & Wisky.

@MHver3: Also new details about playoffs and Sugar Bowl set to come to light. Will make having 12 and a ccg a necessity.

@MHver3: @mc0483 I never heard such news. Was told this morning that FSU had tried to appeal to the BiG but were told sorry

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The B12 is only stable as long as Texas and Oklahoma want to be in it. If these two pull out, then B12 falls apart and the ACC becomes the last P4 conference

If TX and OU stay in, and pull a couple of ACC teams, then it stays in the P4 and the ACC falls out.

Personally, I think the P4 will end up with the B12 and not the ACC. Mainly because of the Rose/ Sugar decisions. But everything depends on these two schools - they're the dominoes that will cause the rest to fall one way or the other.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The B12 is only stable as long as Texas and Oklahoma want to be in it. If these two pull out, then B12 falls apart and the ACC becomes the last P4 conference

If TX and OU stay in, and pull a couple of ACC teams, then it stays in the P4 and the ACC falls out.

Personally, I think the P4 will end up with the B12 and not the ACC. Mainly because of the Rose/ Sugar decisions. But everything depends on these two schools - they're the dominoes that will cause the rest to fall one way or the other.

I agree, but TX an OU are in such a cushy position in terms of travel right now.  I'm not sure why TX and OU would join another conference and sends their teams all over the country.  The B12 will be a power conference as long as they stay.  They wont get left behind.  

There would have to be a gigantic revenue gap for TX and OU to jump ship and it doesn't exist.  They may be a few million behind some other schools, which I don't think is true, but I doubt they blow up the conference for less than 10+ million a year.  I don't see that kind of money laying around in any other conference.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Days Won:  0

At this point, we have about 5 schools that could be the core and move to the ACC eventually as they get raided. I wouldn't count the TX schools as those would likely get seduced to the MWC by that point. Having USF, UCF, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, maybe ECU or Memphis (if they got better at hoops and football, respectively) joining up with BC, Wake Forest, Duke, maybe an oddly leftover GT/Miami/Pitt/Syracuse would be pretty formidable for the most part and would resemble what the Big East SHOULD have been before everyone ripped us apart.

Not so fast. UH fans would give anything to join that version of the ACC over the current MWC, especially if the ACC manages to back-fill its membership fast enough to maintain the existing ESPN contract. I don't why but most UH fans loathe the MWC.  

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Not so fast. UH fans would give anything to join that version of the ACC over the current MWC, especially if the ACC manages to back-fill its membership fast enough to maintain the existing ESPN contract. I don't why but most UH fans loathe the MWC.  

I would hope so as well, as SMU/Houston would be solid additions over the other dead weight I had mentioned. The only reason I mention that is regardless of UH/SMU's fondness of the MWC is or isn't, the ACC would still want to keep their Atlantic/Coastal presence as much as possible, so even venturing over to Memphis and Texas for schools will be on their "later" list - and again, it depends how many schools were to leave. They have 14 now, and if four went to the Big 12 (FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami), possibly another 2 to the B1G (UVA and UNC), and perhaps 2 to the SEC (NCSU and VT), they'd be left with six schools (Pitt, Cuse, BC, WF, Duke, Louisville), and would need about eight to fill those gaps (USF, UCF, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, SMU, UH, Memphis perhaps?).

The ESPN contract would probably be retooled a bit to not be as high, but it certainly would not be $2M/year like our conference is getting shafted with. They get like $17M now, I'd expect about $12-14M, and I'd be perfectly okay with that. The basketball side with possible schools like: Duke, UL, Cuse, Pitt, Cincy, Temple, UConn, and others with potential like USF, UCF, Houston, BC. Maybe Wake Forest could turn things around in hoops at least.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

For the same reason we loath C-USA.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I would hope so as well, as SMU/Houston would be solid additions over the other dead weight I had mentioned. The only reason I mention that is regardless of UH/SMU's fondness of the MWC is or isn't, the ACC would still want to keep their Atlantic/Coastal presence as much as possible, so even venturing over to Memphis and Texas for schools will be on their "later" list - and again, it depends how many schools were to leave. They have 14 now, and if four went to the Big 12 (FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami), possibly another 2 to the B1G (UVA and UNC), and perhaps 2 to the SEC (NCSU and VT), they'd be left with six schools (Pitt, Cuse, BC, WF, Duke, Louisville), and would need about eight to fill those gaps (USF, UCF, UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, SMU, UH, Memphis perhaps?).

The ESPN contract would probably be retooled a bit to not be as high, but it certainly would not be $2M/year like our conference is getting shafted with. They get like $17M now, I'd expect about $12-14M, and I'd be perfectly okay with that. The basketball side with possible schools like: Duke, UL, Cuse, Pitt, Cincy, Temple, UConn, and others with potential like USF, UCF, Houston, BC. Maybe Wake Forest could turn things around in hoops at least.

I am still holding out hope for the above scenario where only BC/WF/Duke are left behind in the ACC along with the newcomers (Pitt/Cuse/UL).  Don't forget, they currently "have" ND on-board too, already opening the door for a hybrid league.  Instead of jumping to 14-16, a better move might be to go to 12 for FB (USF/UC/UConn/Temple + UCF?/Mem?), then G'Town/Nova/SJU for BBall (16 schools).  I agree that UH/SMU would be a poorer fit.  The above would make for a stable eastern league for when the B12 eventually devours its own with its unbalanced revenue sharing and Texas/Oklahoma schools bolt (Pac) after the GoR expires . . . or so I would want to believe.

And, yeah, I put no faith in the WV rumor mill. . . if these guys really had any of the sources they claim, they would work for an actual sports-news outlet.  When I previously checked out one of their pages, it was just an on-going stream of random speculation cloaked with a sense of authority.