Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,764
  • Days Won:  53

8 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

To throw all this out of wack. I won’t be shocked if the Big Ten gobbles up two Texas & Florida schools to become the GOAT conference. We shall see!  

BIG GOAT

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  13,812
  • Days Won:  30

22 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This is quite a measured take which does not fit in the apocalyptic articles that are generating clicks at the moment...

clickbait articles to get you talking about their podcast, twitter, gram, social media nonsense.

17 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

To throw all this out of wack. I won’t be shocked if the Big Ten gobbles up two Texas & Florida schools to become the GOAT conference. We shall see!  

The big ten needs more top 25 and top 50 programs to compete in football with the SEC. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,792
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

On what grounds? Being outmaneuvered  and having no fans or followers?

Idk, I am not a lawyer. It does seem like there has been a system in place that benefits a few schools/conferences compared to the rest.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

Idk, I am not a lawyer. It does seem like there has been a system in place that benefits a few schools/conferences compared to the rest.

Certainly there has been a system that benefits one over the other. But they created that system based on a competitive advantage of tradition, notoriety, better scheduling, etc. I mean at the end of the day, what can you really do? 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

22 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Certainly there has been a system that benefits one over the other. But they created that system based on a competitive advantage of tradition, notoriety, better scheduling, etc. I mean at the end of the day, what can you really do? 

Not much really. Could USF have done more to position itself favorably to move into a better conference? Absolutely. But we were pretty lucky to get into the Big East - a better, but unstable conference - when we did.

UCF is in a sports market that only has one pro (basketball) team. USF is in a sports market with three pro sports teams, including football. USF has had significant stretches of competitive football, but UCF has done better more recently. UCF was up, and USF was down, when the Big 12 came knocking. And I suspect the Big 12 picked Orlando over Tampa because of less market competition in football, recent success, and comparable TV market size (18 v 11).

At this point, all USF can really do is continue plugging away with improved facilities (IPF, OCS, etc.) and improved on-field performance. They’re working on it. I think MK and CJS are the right guys for the job. And our new president seems to understand how important success in athletics is to the university. Not to sound naive, but I’m encouraged that we’re headed in the right direction. I’m optimistic things will work out in the end, we just need to give it a little more time. 

Edited by TallyBull
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,792
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

At this point there may not be much more happening until August.

1. The Pac 10 are negotiating with ESPN and Fox, who own right of first refusal, and that is for a 30-day window.  After that, other networks can make their offers.  They may include in their negotiations various scenarios - "what if we align with the ACC? what if we only add two MWC schools? what if we raid the Big 12? etc"
  2. The Big Ten is working on their new TV contract that starts next year.  Unless Notre Dame shocks the world and decides to join, the inventory is locked and networks can make their bids.  If this is a "short" contract, which the Big Ten did last time, it would be another signal to the ACC teams saying "y'all are gonna be left even further behind by 2036."  But there is likely nothing the ACC teams would do about it.
  3. The Big 12, while wanting to be aggressive in realignment have to wait for the Pac 10 to finish their work. If the Pac 10 stays together, the Big 12 will only have G5 candidates for expansion, as the other schools will all have Grants of Rights.  That likely delays everything until next year.

Still a few shoes that could drop, but it looks like we're waiting on: Notre Dame to publicly make a decision AND the Pac 10 to decide it's future.

What was wild at the time, in terms of ACC GoR, was how some people were acting like it was such a smart move. How it made the conference safe from being raided for seemingly long period of time, and created stability for a bunch of those teams.

Now, at least to me, it seems like the ACC shot itself in the foot. That being said, maybe the ACC being raided was an inevitable thing all this time and the GoR was a bandaid for a much bigger problem.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

What was wild at the time, in terms of ACC GoR, was how some people were acting like it was such a smart move. How it made the conference safe from being raided for seemingly long period of time, and created stability for a bunch of those teams.

Now, at least to me, it seems like the ACC shot itself in the foot. That being said, maybe the ACC being raided was an inevitable thing all this time and the GoR was a bandaid for a much bigger problem.

True, they look pretty dumb now…especially for so called “smart” universities. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, Peatearpan said:

Well, it did provide long-term stability when Maryland was plucked and it looked like UNC and Georgia Tech had one foot out the door.  At that time people were talking about how Florida would veto Florida State and South Carolina would veto Clemson... plus the SEC was looking to expand into new states, hence Missouri and Texas A&M.  But you can bet the SEC was looking other states as well - North Carolina, Virginia to be specific.

So to save themselves, the ACC signed their rights away.  The length of the deal was the real problem.  The ACC signing a 20-year contract was just absurd... but ESPN was smart - they locked up a conference at below-market rates for a long time.

When the Pac 16 was first rumored with Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech -- all of the major media figures in CFB said "superconferences are coming" ... they envision 4 16-team conferences (64 teams)... and the ACC obviously felt that it needed to sign a GOR similar to the Pac 12 and Big 12 at that time.  However, that has only delayed the inevitable.

By 2036 ... heck by 2030 when the next Big Ten conference likely expires (and maybe the new SEC contract as well) ... the ACC as we know it will be torn asunder.  Clemson, Florida State, and a few others are, effectively, lame duck members who will be out the first realistic chance they get.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13